Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM

53 posts, read 89,716 times

Advertisements

Any information on Rutherfordton? Crime rates, things to do for teens, school system (high school) and work? My husband is a carpenter, he can build from the ground up basically, but he really likes the finish carpentry and also is a great woodworker and handyman. I've seen a lot of home in this area that look pretty nice and reasonable prices. Shopping? Any malls nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:30 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Have you read what is already out there on Rutherfordton? There is/was a cabinet making shop that was hiring in 2011: Cabinet maker to hire 136 in Rutherfordton

It a small town of 4,000 and doesn't have much shopping. People go to Gaffney or Asheville. (see message #7 here): Brevard vs Rutherfordton

Other opinions: Rutherfordton-old fashioned small town ?

Crime rate is very low. See the chart about 20% of the way down: https://www.city-data.com/city/Ruther...-Carolina.html

The High School gets an average rating, but you could see some positive comments here: http://www.greatschools.org/north-ca...chool/reviews/ School is out for the year, but you might get a feel for it here: http://rschs.rcsnc.org/cms/One.aspx?...pageId=4792814

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-21-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
Any information on Rutherfordton? Crime rates, things to do for teens, school system (high school) and work? My husband is a carpenter, he can build from the ground up basically, but he really likes the finish carpentry and also is a great woodworker and handyman. I've seen a lot of home in this area that look pretty nice and reasonable prices. Shopping? Any malls nearby?
There are also questions on Rutherford County on the Charlotte forum. Use the search function there. I'm posting w/a phone & can't copy & paste. Forest City is closer to Shelby which has some shopping including a decent downtown & a fairly poor mall. Your next stop would be Gaffney then Gastonia.

I can't help but notice that you've been posting willy nilly. Get a good map then click on city data on the top of this page. It will give you good basic information about towns. It would seem that your husband needs to be near a fair amount of construction &/or rehabbing. In my opinion, Gastonia fits both. Looking in Kings Mountain would put you in a better school district if you live on the Cleveland County side of town & a fairly easy commute. He could also commute to a fair amount of the city of Charlotte.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Have you read what is already out there on Rutherfordton? There is/was a cabinet making shop that was hiring in 2011: Cabinet maker to hire 136 in Rutherfordton

It a small town of 4,000 and doesn't have much shopping. People go to Gaffney or Asheville. (see message #7 here): Brevard vs Rutherfordton

Other opinions: Rutherfordton-old fashioned small town ?

Crime rate is very low. See the chart about 20% of the way down: https://www.city-data.com/city/Ruther...-Carolina.html

The High School gets an average rating, but you could see some positive comments here: R-S Central High School - Rutherfordton, North carolina - NC - School reviews School is out for the year, but you might get a feel for it here: Home - R-S Central High School
I can't open the link about the cabinet making shop on my phone. Is it high end cabinetry? I'm asking because a friend just moved her gift shop from downtown Kings Mountain to downtown Shelby. The word is out that an upscale cabinetry shop is due to go into an empty storefront across the street from her & they are looking to draw from Charlotte to Asheville.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-22-2015 at 01:53 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 06:09 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I can't open the link about the cabinet making shop on my phone. Is it high end cabinetry? I'm asking because a friend just moved her gift shop from downtown Kings Mountain to downtown Shelby. The word is out that an upscale cabinetry shop is due to go into an empty storefront across the street from her & they are looking to draw from Charlotte to Asheville.
The buyer is Gourmet Group LLC of Charlotte. I don't know their nature, but just suggested it as a job possibility for the husband.

Thanks for suggesting Gastonia and Kings Mountain.

This lady really wants a high school where her daughter can find friends and not be bullied. IDK how anyone would know that. But I suspect the daughter would be better off in an area with lots of transplants rather than a town where everyone has lived there since their birth.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-22-2015 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The buyer is Gourmet Group LLC of Charlotte. I don't know their nature, but just suggested it as a job possible job for the husband.

Thanks for suggesting Gastonia and Kings Mountain.

This lady really wants a high school where her daughter can find friends and not be bullied. IDK how anyone would know that. But I suspect the daughter would be better off in an area with lots of transplants rather than a town where everyone has lived there since their birth.
Thanks.

Kings Mountain has a blend of natives & transplants since it is within commuting distance of Charlotte. It is commuteable to Hickory or Spartanburg, but less so than Charlotte. It's as far from Forest City as Charlotte. It's pretty much a suburb of Gastonia, so an exurb of Charlotte. Gastonia is doing rehabbing. It seems like a good place for the husband to get the work that she described. She'll have to visit to determine for herself. Gaston County has a great magnet school but there's no guarantee that the daughter would get in. Kings Mountain High should work, but again, they have to see for themselves.

Kings Mountain High is a Cleveland County school.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:21 PM

Funny, I was actually told by a friend of a friend to stay out of Gastonia. Basically, for my daughter, she wants to meet new people, she is very friendly and very caring, and she has many interests. A friend of hers (from a different town up here) moved to NC last year, and she said she loves it there. She is up in Cameron, but the fact that the school is so much bigger, there's less focus on any one person in particular to pick on. Here, it's so small and clicky, and if you aren't wearing clothes from a particular store, you don't fit in to the "popular" crowd, which seems to run the school. My daughter doesn't care if she is popular, she just wants to be the average teenager and have friends over, do things together and enjoy her next two years of hs. She is that one that welcomed newcomers to our area, while the others here would shun them. Unfortunately, we don't get too many newcomers here.
I have been told by realtors and others in most areas, that work should be easy for my husband. He loves what he does, he's good at it, never had a complaint and he really takes a lot of pride in his work....he wants his customers to be happy. But the fact that he is willing to do the "small jobs", seems to be a good thing. I've been told over and over again that that's hard to come by, everyone wants the big jobs. It's the same here though...all the contractors want the big jobs, so my husband takes on all the small ones, which turn into more work and bigger jobs eventually. Also the reason he has work all winter up here in the frozen tundra, while the others are complaining they can't find anything.
Goldenage1, you have some great information...I thank you for that. It is very much appreciated.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Funny, I was actually told by a friend of a friend to stay out of Gastonia. Basically, for my daughter, she wants to meet new people, she is very friendly and very caring, and she has many interests. A friend of hers (from a different town up here) moved to NC last year, and she said she loves it there. She is up in Cameron, but the fact that the school is so much bigger, there's less focus on any one person in particular to pick on. Here, it's so small and clicky, and if you aren't wearing clothes from a particular store, you don't fit in to the "popular" crowd, which seems to run the school. My daughter doesn't care if she is popular, she just wants to be the average teenager and have friends over, do things together and enjoy her next two years of hs. She is that one that welcomed newcomers to our area, while the others here would shun them. Unfortunately, we don't get too many newcomers here.
I have been told by realtors and others in most areas, that work should be easy for my husband. He loves what he does, he's good at it, never had a complaint and he really takes a lot of pride in his work....he wants his customers to be happy. But the fact that he is willing to do the "small jobs", seems to be a good thing. I've been told over and over again that that's hard to come by, everyone wants the big jobs. It's the same here though...all the contractors want the big jobs, so my husband takes on all the small ones, which turn into more work and bigger jobs eventually. Also the reason he has work all winter up here in the frozen tundra, while the others are complaining they can't find anything.
Goldenage1, you have some great information...I thank you for that. It is very much appreciated.
OK, well I suggested Gastonia for your husband to find work & Kings Mountain to live in. There's construction & rehabbing going on in Gastonia. Your husband will need a day job while he establishes a reputation to work on his own. I don't know who told you to stay away from Gastonia but I doubt that the person has much experience there.

You're asking mostly about rural areas & exurbs where unemployment is frequently high. Do you think that there are not natives who do the same thing that he does? It's nice that your husband has a good reputation in Maine. He'll have to build a reputation in NC. I don't care what a realtor tells you in an attempt to make a sale. I'm telling you the truth.

Kings Mountain HS has ~1000 students. Transplants are accepted in the town. I'm a transplant. I know another transplant with children in the Kings Mountain schools & her children are happy.

If you want to move to Rutherfordton, good luck. I hope it works out for you. I hope you visit to check it out first.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK, well I suggested Gastonia for your husband to find work & Kings Mountain to live in. There's construction & rehabbing going on in Gastonia. Your husband will need a day job while he establishes a reputation to work on his own. I don't know who told you to stay away from Gastonia but I doubt that the person has much experience there.

You're asking mostly about rural areas & exurbs where unemployment is frequently high. Do you think that there are not natives who do the same thing that he does? It's nice that your husband has a good reputation in Maine. He'll have to build a reputation in NC. I don't care what a realtor tells you in an attempt to make a sale. I'm telling you the truth.

Kings Mountain HS has ~1000 students. Transplants are accepted in the town. I'm a transplant. I know another transplant with children in the Kings Mountain schools & her children are happy.

If you want to move to Rutherfordton, good luck. I hope it works out for you. I hope you visit to check it out first.
Of course we will visit first. We have a few different places we are going to visit..actually narrowing it down to just 2 or 3. I was just told that Gastonia had a lot of crime and all. I want to be able to take an evening walk and not worry. Does Gastonia have a downtown?
And I realize my husband will have to build a reputation down there. I'm not very worried about that really. I have confidence he will find work with someone. I assumed he would work for someone before branching out on his own. And I work from home, so I will still be doing that wherever we are.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Of course we will visit first. We have a few different places we are going to visit..actually narrowing it down to just 2 or 3. I was just told that Gastonia had a lot of crime and all. I want to be able to take an evening walk and not worry. Does Gastonia have a downtown?
And I realize my husband will have to build a reputation down there. I'm not very worried about that really. I have confidence he will find work with someone. I assumed he would work for someone before branching out on his own. And I work from home, so I will still be doing that wherever we are.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
I'd suggest that you look at the Gaston County crime map. Just an fyi, crime maps can be scary when you bring them up. Just click on the map & the crime icons disperse. I am suggesting that you look at Kings Mountain to live in as your daughter could go to a somewhat smaller school. You can walk around without fear.

Gastonia & Kings Mountain both have downtowns. Both cities are reviving their downtowns. Gastonia has a mall & a lot of shopping on east Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina