Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,246 times

Advertisements

My future husband and I are in our early 30s looking to relocate from NY. We want to find a nice town to raise a family. Good school, hospitals and restuarants. Not too far from airport...

My future husband likes to hunt (bow and gun) so close to an area that has good hunting.

Also looking for possible employment with Police or Fire Department.

Housing - $150k-$250k?

Any areas of where to start?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:31 PM

4,799 posts, read 10,662,736 times
Replied to your DM, with an info thread link, some opins, etc.

Jobs are the real item(s) that one has to 'bring with' or be able to nail down, before anything more than idle day dreaming of 'moving to Western NC', imo.

No idea of cop/firefighter situ here in Waynesville or surrounding towns, including Asheville...other posters may have help on that.

Neither of those vocations pay like the do in 'NY'.

Need more info from you, imo.
GL, mD

Old 07-06-2015, 06:17 PM

2,638 posts, read 2,335,591 times
Asheville is a difficult city to fly in and out of. You would be better off moving to Charlotte.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,627,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc120 View Post
My future husband and I are in our early 30s looking to relocate from NY. We want to find a nice town to raise a family. Good school, hospitals and restuarants. Not too far from airport...

My future husband likes to hunt (bow and gun) so close to an area that has good hunting.

Housing - $150k-$250k?

Thank you.

With regard to housing, the price spread of $150K to $250K is very wide. Average 3 BR 2 BA homes will be $200K and UP in Western NC. Rentals will be in the $1,000/mo. vicinity depending on location and amenities. At your ages, I would suggest you look in the Greenville SC area, in the foothills of the mountains. Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, towns north of Atlanta and so forth. Or look somewhere around the "Triangle" in NC, which would be over near Raleigh; Winston-Salem, NC, Greensboro, NC. That way you will have better access to jobs, and still be within "shooting" area for husband's hunting. Take a look at the 'corners' of SC, NC, GA, and TN on a map to see what I mean. Western NC is primarily a retirement area and a 2nd home type area, not for those just starting out. Salaries for police or fire depts. are low here -- $32K approx; you need to get to a higher paying job area if you are going to have any financial future at all.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:01 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,562,569 times
The only airport around here that's worth anything is Charlotte. Greensboro is fine, but that's not western NC anymore. How often do you fly? I assume you mean commercial flying, and not private/recreational

Hickory, Gastonia, Concord, Statesville are all fairly close to the airport, so long as it's not an everyday trip.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,820,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc120 View Post

Housing - $150k-$250k?

Thank you.
Gastonia & Gaston County are always looking for police. The pay isn't great so there are always openings. CMPD in Charlotte might be a possibility. Their pay is better.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 PM

The AVL airport is a very nice airport. I fly out of there quite often with never a problem; there are connections to just about anywhere you need to go. www.flyavl.com

Charlotte (CLT) is a 2 hr. drive south from Hendersonville, and a 2.5 hr. drive from Asheville. It all depends on where you need to go.

Greenville (GSP) is also a very nice airport, easy parking, easy off the interstate, etc. and about 45 mins. or so from Hendersonville; and a bit over an hour from Asheville.

I have to question all the negativity about the Asheville airport -- it's a jewel here in the mountains.

Airports would be the least of your concerns when considering relocating to Western NC.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,520,253 times
Asheville does have a nice airport with easy parking. But be aware you usually have make a connection but not too bad. If you are used to big city airports that take you most places non stop it is an adjustment. As mentioned police/fire don't make much here, bigger city better pay. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Gastonia & Gaston County are always looking for police. The pay isn't great so there are always openings. CMPD in Charlotte might be a possibility. Their pay is better.

The OP is asking about "towns" in Western NC. Not cities. Small town jobs don't pay well anywhere. They really need to visit the area, and/or get the local newspapers for the small towns in Western NC to confirm employment situations.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,820,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The OP is asking about "towns" in Western NC. Not cities. Small town jobs don't pay well anywhere. They really need to visit the area, and/or get the local newspapers for the small towns in Western NC to confirm employment situations.
The OP asked about jobs & an airport. The only mention that I made in the post that you are taking me to task for that is a location not previously mentioned in this thread is a county police force. That police force handles towns that are too small to afford their own police force. FYI people post on both this board & the Charlotte board for Hickory & Rutherford County.

This is not the first time that you've gone after one of my posts. I was not the only person to mention Gastonia & Charlotte. Since you seem to feel that you run this board I'll leave you to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina