Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 PM

26 posts, read 27,286 times

Advertisements

I plan on renting a car and driving through this trail. I was wondering if a small size car (toyota corolla) would be good for this ride? Or should I opt for a full size or suv due to the elevation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 04:50 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,566,142 times
A Toyota Corolla should be perfectly fine. Elevation - as a factor for choosing a car to drive on the BRP - is basically irrelevant. When driving in the mtns., if you are going to be driving a lot of long, very steep climbs, you might consider the horsepower ratio to vehicle weight. However, there are few if any appreciably steep climbs on the Parkway, to the best of my knowledge. Actually, I would prefer a smaller car on the Parkway due to the sway of a large or tall vehicle on the curves. Of course, you shouldn't be driving fast enough on the Parkway for that to matter much.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:17 PM

4,799 posts, read 10,662,736 times
Where is OP's starting point on BRPkway, end point, or where one has 'to get to', for drive conclusion?

Any car is fine, though one that 'handles' better will be slightly more fun, with less rolling, eg a soft sedan.
A Toy should be fine...

I have driven all 469 miles several times, and ridden it all on m'cycles, several times, and I am quite familiar with it from 'above/north' of Asheville to its conclusion in Cherokee.

I highly rec'd weekdays for your trip, if possible, and remember there is little to eat, no gas and all places to sleep are 'down' off the BRPkway, at many and various roads to 'below'.

Weather can be very changeable, and often 10-20 degrees cooler, with rain/fog comared to down in A'ville and the lower areas. On sunny or cloudy bright fine days it is spectacular, however.
Many of the 'view areas' and overlooks are terribly overgrown, with little real views, eps here in high summer, with full foliage and tree canopies.

The Pkway Cops have little sympathy for going faster than the 45 max.

Good way point map:
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps...arkway-map.pdf

Good Points Map:
Blue Ridge Parkway - Interactive Map

And, if you have time the Cherohala Skyway is 'higher', much less traffic, and an equally fine drive:
1. Cherohala Skyway Map | Tail of the Dragon Maps

Not that 'far' from the BRPkway, though one ends up a bit west in NC almost to TN border.

I love driving on/riding on the BRPKway!
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 07-08-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 PM

26 posts, read 27,286 times
We'll be going late september. I was planning on renting a cabin/condo for 2 nights. Any recommendations on what small town to stay in? From what I hear most from other people the best spots are from asheville to boone. Is that correct?

Old 07-09-2015, 07:42 AM

"Best" is always subjective. The entire Parkway is a jewel.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

If you plan to stay in the higher elevations of NC (near Banner Elk/Boone/Blowing Rock), make your reservation as soon as possible. Late September is approaching peak leaf season. I don't have any specific lodging reservations, but here are a few resources for the High Country (Banner Elk/Boone/Blowing Rock area):

Avery County Chamber of Commerce

Blowing Rock, NC Official Visitor's Guide - Guide to the mountains around Blowing Rock, NC

Boone NC Watauga County Vacation Information | Hotels, Restaurants, Events, and Things To Do

High Country Host - in North Carolina

Old 07-09-2015, 09:13 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,419,089 times
I wouldn't say late September is approaching leaf season. It will all be pretty green then. There may be some competition for hotels from folks who hope to see fall foliage in September, but there's not any to see so they'll be out of luck on that regard. Not a bad idea to make advance reservations, though. The third week of October is my fave time for seeing colorful leaves.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I wouldn't say late September is approaching leaf season. It will all be pretty green then. There may be some competition for hotels from folks who hope to see fall foliage in September, but there's not any to see so they'll be out of luck on that regard. Not a bad idea to make advance reservations, though. The third week of October is my fave time for seeing colorful leaves.
It all depends on where you are.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:47 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,411,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Yes, it does. But if you are in North Carolina, the show doesn't start until early October, and thats at the highest elevations. Late September isn't even the beginning of leaf season:

"Blue Ridge Parkway & Mountains Fall Leaf Color Forecast 2015
The number one question is: “When is the peak color?” No matter when you plan an autumn visit in October or early November, you can take a short drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway or other mountain roads to find the best color of fall leaves. Elevation and weather are the biggest factors in the color show. Leaves begin their color change on the highest peaks and gradually work down to the lowest elevations. An early frost speeds up the show and warm weather prolongs it. Below is our best guess of the progression of the color show:

Where to Find Color Week-by-Week

October 2-9: Highest elevations north of Asheville above 5,000 feet show the most color, especially in the Mount Mitchell, Craggy Gardens, Grandfather Mountain, Beech Mountain, Rough Ridge and Graveyard Fields areas.
October 8-16: Color will increase in elevations greater than 4,000 feet, including the Mount Pisgah, Black Balsam, Devil's Courthouse, Waterrock Knob, southwest of Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It will also be peak color in the Highlands area, including Whiteside Mountain, with plenty of waterfalls to enjoy, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, including hikes to Alum Cave and Chimney Tops.
October 14-23: Many of the surrounding mountains around Asheville show plenty of color, especially in the 3,000-4,000 foot elevation range. Take the Parkway north or south from Asheville. A great hike in Pisgah National Forest would be Looking Glass Rock or Cradle of Forestry. North of Asheville, head to Linville Gorge with hikes to the top of Table Rock and Hawksbill Mountain. West of Asheville, Bryson City and the Nantahala Gorge will shine.
October 20-29: The city of Asheville (2,000 feet elevation) shows the brightest colors, along with areas around Hendersonville and Brevard. This is the perfect time for a waterfall hike in DuPont State Forest or leisurely walk at the NC Arboretum. This is also the peak leaf color for Biltmore Estate.
October 25-November 4: The color show concludes in the Chimney Rock area (elevation of 1,300 feet). Ride to the top of Chimney Rock or take a boat tour on Lake Lure. Also peak at Lake James and South Mountains State Parks."
- See more at: Asheville NC Fall Foliage Color Leaf Report 2015

Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,419,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Not really in September. It really depends on when you are in October and then where. Elevation can only do so much. Here's a photo from Sept 27 last year that Grandfather Mountain (elevation just under 6000 ft at 5945 ft) posted on their facebook page last year. You can see a little hint of color, but it's pretty much green. That's the mile high swinging bridge going across the peaks.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:01 PM

4,799 posts, read 10,662,736 times
Not sure the OP is color leaf peeping, but agree on mid October on in my experience, for better color.

OP could offer more details; we aren't nosey, just trying to help.

Boone to A'ville is a good section of the BRPkway, but where is OP starting on Parkway in his rented car? Where does he want to 'get to' a couple days later?

And, 'two nights somewhere': is that in A'ville area, Boone area, Boone one night, different place 2nd night?, etc.

OP will receive some better info/opins and ideas if more specific/less vague. Or, just enjoy the BRPkway & adjacent towns and stuff to see, wherever you are.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina