Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 AM

428 posts, read 809,709 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am going to rent a vacation house in Asheville (scouting out Asheville as a very serious possible place to set roots and live) for Oct+Nov (airbnb) but not being familiar with Asheville, could anybody let me know if there are any areas of the city I should stay clear of when booking a vacation rental? They say 90% of crime happens in 10% of a city so I want to be sure to avoid that 10%. I will probably just book for a month and then without a couple of weeks I can figure out if I made a bad choice for an area to rent at, can then change where to be for the second month, but any heads up for that initial month rental would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be in a safe quiet area, I want to stay clear of any seedy areas; quality of the rental is not so important as it is just for a month initially, I just want to be able to feel safe and not be next to loud parties (so perhaps there is an area where UNC students tend to live, probably near UNC, that I should also avoid).
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:48 PM

243 posts, read 477,792 times
If you don't mind the morning drive to Asheville I would look for something outside of town with a view. However if you would rather stay in Asheville as long as you use common sense most areas are fine here. There aren't many hidden areas. The areas that look good, are...and vice versa. We don't have a lot of violent crime, mostly property crime.....so just use common sense and you should be okay. If you find a place you like just name the street (don't need to give specific address) and folks should be able to let you know. However, any decent looking rental shouldn't be in an area of concern.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Hi
I am going to rent a vacation house in Asheville (scouting out Asheville as a very serious possible place to set roots and live) for Oct+Nov (airbnb) but not being familiar with Asheville, could anybody let me know if there are any areas of the city I should stay clear of when booking a vacation rental? They say 90% of crime happens in 10% of a city so I want to be sure to avoid that 10%. I will probably just book for a month and then without a couple of weeks I can figure out if I made a bad choice for an area to rent at, can then change where to be for the second month, but any heads up for that initial month rental would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be in a safe quiet area, I want to stay clear of any seedy areas; quality of the rental is not so important as it is just for a month initially, I just want to be able to feel safe and not be next to loud parties (so perhaps there is an area where UNC students tend to live, probably near UNC, that I should also avoid).
Thank you in advance!

You would be smart to call the local police department in an area where you plan to rent. You also don't say what your monthly rental budget is.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
If you don't mind the morning drive to Asheville I would look for something outside of town with a view. However if you would rather stay in Asheville as long as you use common sense most areas are fine here. There aren't many hidden areas. The areas that look good, are...and vice versa. We don't have a lot of violent crime, mostly property crime.....so just use common sense and you should be okay. If you find a place you like just name the street (don't need to give specific address) and folks should be able to let you know. However, any decent looking rental shouldn't be in an area of concern.
I've lived with real crime in NYC and conceal carried 24/7. I do not feel the need to do so anywhere in Asheville. Maybe in a movie theatre but that's about it. That said, about the only area in Asheville that I've observed criminal activity is the area around Grove St and Hilliard Ave. Drug trade and prostitution. I have to frequent that area as my Accupuntutist and chiropractor are at that location. Everywhere else in Asheville is pretty much crime free.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I've lived with real crime in NYC and conceal carried 24/7. I do not feel the need to do so anywhere in Asheville. Maybe in a movie theatre but that's about it. That said, about the only area in Asheville that I've observed criminal activity is the area around Grove St and Hilliard Ave. Drug trade and prostitution. I have to frequent that area as my Accupuntutist and chiropractor are at that location. Everywhere else in Asheville is pretty much crime free.
Well that's not exactly accurate. Prostitution and drug problems around both the ball fields, Mission, and Livingston have been problems. I'm sure there are other areas of well.

I admit Asheville is relatively safe, but comparing crime in Asheville to NYC is a little silly. We have little random violent crime (not related to things like domestic violence or drug use) but it's still a small city of 100,000 so there are still a lot of problem folks. Using a little common sense should keep you out of trouble, but avoid using it and you are still are going to find yourself knee deep in something. We've had 2 places in 2 different statistically safe places broken into in just a few years, one while we were home.

It's a relatively safe area, but crime is still above the national average....not crime free.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:33 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
Well that's not exactly accurate. Prostitution and drug problems around both the ball fields, Mission, and Livingston have been problems. I'm sure there are other areas of well.

I admit Asheville is relatively safe, but comparing crime in Asheville to NYC is a little silly. We have little random violent crime (not related to things like domestic violence or drug use) but it's still a small city of 100,000 so there are still a lot of problem folks. Using a little common sense should keep you out of trouble, but avoid using it and you are still are going to find yourself knee deep in something. We've had 2 places in 2 different statistically safe places broken into in just a few years, one while we were home.

It's a relatively safe area, but crime is still above the national average....not crime free.
I've been to Mission and the numerous parks and ball fields in Asheville and not once seen this. Can you post a link to back up your assertions? I'm sure that if this is true that there would be arrests or stories about police operations in those areas. Also your perception of safety and criminal activity could quite possibly be different from mine and the OP. This is what I was referring to, I was not comparing crime in NYC to crime here in Asheville. Also do you even live in Asheville?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:43 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,227 times
Quote:
I've been to Mission and the numerous parks and ball fields in Asheville and not once seen this. Can you post a link to back up your assertions? I'm sure that if this is true that there would be arrests or stories about police operations in those areas. Also your perception of safety and criminal activity could quite possibly be different from mine and the OP. This is what I was referring to, I was not comparing crime in NYC to crime here in Asheville. Also do you even live in Asheville?
Well I'm not sure about the actual stats but there are projects right near mission. I'd stay a few miles away from the projects and you'll be fine.
HACA Communities | Asheville Housing Authority

For what it's worth I lived near the ball park in college as a single female so it couldn't have been that bad.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Live in 28803

I volunteer over there and used condoms and used needles litter the area which we wonderfully get to pick up. I suppose the retired folks may be sneaking out of the hospital at night for a quickie but it's not likely. There are some pretty run down areas around mission. I've personally seen the hookers at the ABCCM mission? area right there by the ball park early in the morning. The business I interned at required early hours so saw them at least weekly at around 4 AM.

In a city of 100,000 folks and an area with a lot of drug use, there are plenty of places you want to stay away from. Around here most (if not all places) are fine during the day but at night it's a little different. It's not bad at all as a whole........but not "Everywhere else in Asheville is pretty much crime free."

Old 07-14-2015, 01:48 PM

376 posts, read 499,833 times
Quote:
I've lived with real crime in NYC and conceal carried 24/7.
This implies you carried in NYC. It was my understanding that if you weren't a member of the local gestapo(police) you couldnt (or wouldnt be issued a CC Permit) conceal carry.

Or did you just carry anyway?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 PM

159 posts, read 183,510 times
The area around Asheville is characterized by a lot of mixture/interlacing of high and low income housing.

Where I live outside Weaverville, I'm within an easy walk of homes worth a half-million or more and trailers that may well have a negative value. That's just the way it is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina