Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM

9 posts, read 39,971 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to either Henderson county or Buncombe county and have read that taxes and insurance can be high. I'm not sure what that compares to. I have tried several websites for tax information and cost of living, but would like some local input. Would someone tell me if there is much difference between the two counties and list the following based on 3BR, 2BA home in a nice area possible value of $250,000 and an automobile estimated value of $18,000 Toyota Camry? I've also heard that health care is a lot higher, but that could be just about everywhere now. Anything you can offer would be helpful.

property taxes
home/auto insurance
auto taxes
driver's license
county sales tax
health insurance
price of gasoline
utilities

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:33 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Inside or outside city limits?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:56 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Buncombe County's property tax rate is $0.6040 per $100 of value. Henderson's is $0.5136.

Taxes on a house with a tax value (not necessarily the same as selling price) would be 250,000 x .6040 divided 100 = $1,510 in Buncombe, and $1,284 in Henderson. Annual property taxes on a vehicle valued at $18,000 would be $108.72 in Buncombe, and $92.44 in Henderson. One also pays a one time Highway Use Tax of 3% when titling a vehicle.

If you're inside city limits, you pay city property taxes as well. $0.44 in Hendersonville, $0.46 in Asheville.

Here's a full listing of all NC property tax rates:

http://www.dornc.com/publications/20...tes_prelim.pdf

Sales taxes are 7% in Asheville/Buncombe County and 6.75% in Hendersonville/Henderson. Food in grocery stores is taxed at 2%, along with some other thngs.

More info on NC sales taxes here:

Sales and Use Tax

If you're attempting to compare the 2 counties, things like the cost of a drivers license will be the same, as thats a state function. I can't imagine there would be much difference between the 2 on things like insurance, gas, etc. The only difference that could exist for utilities is if different suppliers are involved. Duke Power is pretty low cost, but doesn't serve the entire area.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdean View Post
We are considering a move to either Henderson county or Buncombe county and have read that taxes and insurance can be high. I'm not sure what that compares to. I have tried several websites for tax information and cost of living, but would like some local input. Would someone tell me if there is much difference between the two counties and list the following based on 3BR, 2BA home in a nice area possible value of $250,000 and an automobile estimated value of $18,000 Toyota Camry? I've also heard that health care is a lot higher, but that could be just about everywhere now. Anything you can offer would be helpful.

property taxes
home/auto insurance
auto taxes
driver's license
county sales tax
health insurance
price of gasoline
utilities

THANK YOU!

Car insurance will be higher in Buncombe County closer to Asheville etc., simply because of more traffic, accidents etc. Price of gasoline, yes, higher in Buncombe County just because they can get more up there. Big Tourist area.

Home insurance is a toss up because is based on the assessed value of your home, minus the land. Health insurance? I live in Henderson County and use doctors in both Counties, no differences that I have seen, but differences in expertise and backgrounds of doctors and hospitals -- e.g. Mission Hospital System.

Prices of homes may be higher in Buncombe County, but that depends on where. $250K depending your wants and needs may not be doable. As another posted pointed out, you will pay double taxes if the home is within the city limits in either county. Avg. home $250K in Henderson County, taxes will be around $900 to $1200 per year. In Hendersonville, around $1800+. You will have to check www.Realtor.com for that info. But your Realtor will be able to give you exact tax data during your search. In Buncombe County, $250K could be the starting point for a price range. We don't have enough information to give info on home prices. Use Realtor dot com for your criteria.

We have Duke Energy here in Hendersonville, no problems, love it, prices are reasonable, you'd be amazed. My 1300 sq. ft. home all electric, well-insulated no gas. One year with heat, central air, all power: $700/yr. or less sometimes.

Quality of life between the two: Henderson County all day long. More laid back, less hustle bustle, yet plenty to do and see; great area for children; easier to get where you need to get; and you can be downtown Asheville from downtown Hendersonville in 30 mins. via the interstate.

Question for you: are you retiring, or do you need employment? That should be your first consideration. Also, if you don't mind, where are you relocating from?

Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Thank you so much Carolinadawg2 and QuilterChick. Your information is very helpful. We were looking more towards Henderson County and I think your information confirmed that was a good decision. I work from home and my husband is retired, so no issue with traveling to work - just have to have good internet service. We are currently in FL, but both miss the 4 seasons and mountainous regions. One more question. We love bike riding. Are there any nice paths near Hendersonville? Prefer something like rails to trails...not mountain biking. Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2015, 02:23 PM

There is a rails to trails planned for between Hendersonville and Brevard in place of some old train tracks along that length. But -- it could be a few more years before anything develops there. I don't bike anymore, so I can't give you pertinent details of where the paths or trails are. There are several clubs in the County, however. You'd have to check with the county office or the Visitor's Center in downtown Hendersonville.

The internet service is excellent. I have Morris Broadband for everything. Phone, cable tv, internet. AT&T UVerse is available here for phone and internet, as well as Dish TV and Direct TV. Most subdivisions have all underground utilities.

Here is the website pertaining to just about everything to do with Henderson County:

www.Hendersoncountync.org

... and click on "Visitor's Center" for more information and a list of events during the year.

Also, if you want to get a great magazine (which is broken up into 4 sections of the state):

www.ourstate.com

Hopefully you can come up and stay a week or so, look around, etc. Labor Day weekend is nice here, the Henderson County Apple Festival is very popular. Just make sure whenever you decide to come up, make reservations ahead of time; there are some lovely B&B's in Hendersonville, and some nice hotels.

If you don't already have the newspaper websites, here:

www.blueridgenow.com Henderson County

www.citizen-times.com Buncombe County

Last edited by QuilterChick; 07-22-2015 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Added links.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:03 PM

Thank you QuilterChick. I will definitely check out all the links!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdean View Post
Thank you QuilterChick. I will definitely check out all the links!

My pleasure; hope your relocation works out well for you.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:06 AM

33 posts, read 51,488 times
In Hendersonville, there is a trail right off Jackson Park for biking and hiking. Not completely flat, but almost. It's not a long trail so you might have to go back and forth to get a good ride.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times
The bottomline is Henderson county is saturated with severely overpriced housing due to old money
Invested years ago leaving a legacy of pathetically dated homes who's original owners had the taste of
a hedge hog. Soon ( late 29015 early 2016 ) this area will be I'll prepared for Americas economic collapse. The foreclousers will be so numerous a 1.5 million ( perceived worth home) won't even get an offer for $400K as that will be the new high few able to even consider. These dated smelly junk homes will need 60k to 120k just to update, add reasonable tasteful design and renovation from a-z. The cottage units that are 40-50 years old are basically shot many not worthy of continuing their lives . Rentals are out of control and if you own pets have them put to sleep they will be leveraged as a scam to make big money on animals that in reality have zero to little impact on rentals. Just be carful the landlords tongues are frothy for ching ching and good luck parking in the majority of these dumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina