Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:47 PM

64 posts, read 443,222 times

Advertisements

Yes! Sorry about the typo. "We're using the Realtor" is what I meant. I appreciate all of the advice and well wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,853 times
Hi carrieg11!

My husband and I are in basically the exact same situation as you (only difference is we're Asheville natives and our max total house/land/site cost budget is 250k).

We met with Schumacher last week and have to admit that the quality level is pretty impressive, especially for the price. We have a few local builders that we have connections to and that we're planning to meet with and we're also still keeping an eye on the (very few!) houses currently on the market, but right now we're thinking Schumacher may be the best option for our current situation. I've researched them pretty heavily and like you, found that the Ohio branch just seems to be the bad apple out of all the branches and that overall, people are very happy with their Schumacher homes.

Do you have any updates since your last post? Did you end up signing with Schumacher/another custom builder or perhaps find something currently on the market?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 AM

96 posts, read 187,968 times
Existing more value than new? That will certainly be the most common opinion on a forum dominated by realtors. Keep in mind guys, new construction is helping future inventory.

I think it can be true if by "value", you mean square footage per dollar. If you value customization, energy efficiency, or healthier indoor-air quality, then the value proposition can tilt towards new construction.

Be aware of the game that many of the production, build-on-your-lot guys play. They get you in the door with low advertised pricing but make their money on all the sneaky stuff you need to change or add to the project along the way. This can still offer the most value, depending on your definitions.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:34 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
I just had a home built in Asheville and all I can say is, never again. It was a big PIA and still is dealing with the warranty. Go with an existing home. At least you know most of your costs upfront.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKnight View Post
Existing more value than new? That will certainly be the most common opinion on a forum dominated by realtors. Keep in mind guys, new construction is helping future inventory.

I think it can be true if by "value", you mean square footage per dollar. If you value customization, energy efficiency, or healthier indoor-air quality, then the value proposition can tilt towards new construction.

Be aware of the game that many of the production, build-on-your-lot guys play. They get you in the door with low advertised pricing but make their money on all the sneaky stuff you need to change or add to the project along the way. This can still offer the most value, depending on your definitions.
That's so true. A friend checked out a production builder and was shocked at how many ordinary things were add ons . . . and they really added up to far more than the basic price quoted in the advertisments.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrominger View Post
Hi carrieg11!

My husband and I are in basically the exact same situation as you (only difference is we're Asheville natives and our max total house/land/site cost budget is 250k).

We met with Schumacher last week and have to admit that the quality level is pretty impressive, especially for the price. We have a few local builders that we have connections to and that we're planning to meet with and we're also still keeping an eye on the (very few!) houses currently on the market, but right now we're thinking Schumacher may be the best option for our current situation. I've researched them pretty heavily and like you, found that the Ohio branch just seems to be the bad apple out of all the branches and that overall, people are very happy with their Schumacher homes.

Do you have any updates since your last post? Did you end up signing with Schumacher/another custom builder or perhaps find something currently on the market?
Hi Sdrominger...

We have not signed with Schumacher. Still possible only if we can find land.

We are talking with local builders as well, and we were actually just referred to a builder who is doing a new home development of a couple of dozen homes in east Asheville. The tempting part of going with this builder is that it is a small development and we don't have to go out and look for land. We are also keeping our eye on the very few existing houses that meet our criteria. In fact, we did make an offer on a house last week...we were 1 of 3 (maybe more) offers that came in within less than 24 hours of it being on the market. Yowzers!

How is your search coming along?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:33 PM

96 posts, read 187,968 times
Donna, you picked the wrong builder girl! I mean what builder in their right mind would build a new, vented crawlspace

Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKnight View Post
Donna, you picked the wrong builder girl! I mean what builder in their right mind would build a new, vented crawlspace
Brian,
Well at least I am smart enough to have it encapsulated. I am using Conservation Pros to do the job in October. Then my home will be much Healthier.
Donna

Old 08-16-2015, 12:15 PM

119 posts, read 173,337 times
We are looking for land to put our Modular on. Site built house are costly, and existing homes are at our top budget as is and they still need a lot of updating. Some of them built in the 70's still have the appliances from the 70's. We are going with Clayton homes. Some of the manufactured home places can build the mobile home into a modular and it's cheaper then Schumacher. So it may be something you want to look into.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
We are looking for land to put our Modular on. Site built house are costly, and existing homes are at our top budget as is and they still need a lot of updating. Some of them built in the 70's still have the appliances from the 70's. We are going with Clayton homes. Some of the manufactured home places can build the mobile home into a modular and it's cheaper then Schumacher. So it may be something you want to look into.
Do you think that all the good pieces of land are being scooped up by builders? I feel like we would be left with land options that would be a pain to built on. We're now more focused on building in a new development as our first option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina