Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 03:40 PM

28 posts, read 35,752 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are newlyweds looking to move to the Asheville area. I am a registered nurse and my husband works for Loews. We are coming to visit in late September and will be looking into apartments. I am worried about the pay rate which I know will be less for nurses. Is the cost of living really less? I come from Long Island which has the highest cost of living in America. It is just too expensive to live here and overcrowded. Any advice for us.? Our lease ends in March but we have been thinking of moving for years. We have no kids just 2 animals. I rather do it while we are young and don't have kids yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,388,780 times
When you come to visit, shop some apartments and find out what the rental rates are. Check out glassdoor.com and see if you can find any information on pay rates at Mission Hospital.

A general rule of thumb is that 75% of the difference in cost of living between any 2 locations is real estate costs and taxes. I'm reasonably sure both of those will be cheaper in Asheville. The question is how much lower pay rates are. You may have to go through the application and interview process to find out.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,411 times
Melhunny

Funny. I am in nursing school (so will hopefully be a nurse) and my wife works for Lowes. I am busy looking at Asheville for relocation upon finishing school in May. We have planned a trip to check it out at the end of Sept.

Mission hospital actually has pay rates listed on its job postings. Going to be way way less than you get in NY, but it does give you an idea of what you can expect if hired.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,355,859 times
Lowes (big box home improvement) or Loews (hotels)?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:33 AM

119 posts, read 173,546 times
Rents here in Asheville range from $800 and up for a 1 bedroom, $900 and up for a 2 bedroom and $1456 and up for a 3 bedroom. House rentals can go from $1200 to over $2000. My boyfriend works at Mission and at the Inn on the Biltmore. My ex-husband works at Lowes as a Manager and he about $40,000 a year. Pay rate here is $7.25, some place starting rate is $8.00.

When I was on vacation in Charleston, SC 2 years ago, I remember talking to a guy at the beach who said "Oh you can afford a great vacation if you live in Asheville." According to him Asheville is a very expansive place to live in the eyes of others. I read in the Citizen-Times how a family had to live in a shelter home because they could not afford to rent even with both parents working. Granted their jobs were at place like McDonald's. Even with us making almost $50,000 a year it is hard. There is no way we could afford to find another rent right now. That is why we are looking into buying, but even with that it is hard to find anything nice within a $200,000 budget. Surrounding areas are not much cheaper, unless you are over 30 minutes away, but there you are faced with not having a downtown or much to do.

If you plan on starting a family, I would really, really think about the move here. Education is not the best in NC compared to other states. NC is ranked in the 20's. My daughter's school is one of the best in Buncombe county and they lost 4 teachers this summer. 1 of them was from Marblehead MA and he moved back home after only 1 or 2 years of teaching here. The other 2 moved for the same reason and the 4th was fired for not teaching. Even within Buncombe county the schools are not at the same levels. When we moved from North to West Asheville there was no difference in the schools, but when we moved from West to South there was. My kids were behind their classes in South Asheville and had to catch up to them.

Just food for thought. The best thing to do is a lot of research and a lot of visits. Not everyone is going to feel the same about a place. It breaks down to more of what you are looking. Asheville no longer has I what I want or what I am looking for. It's a great place to visit, but not for me to live in.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:37 AM

28 posts, read 35,752 times
Lowes home improvement. I am making 42/ hour here in NY and I don't know if I can justify going down to 28/hr considering we still have student loans to pay and other bills to keep up on. I don't want to move and then barely be able to keep up on my bills. Are there other places in Nc that pay better than west NC? Maybe Raleigh Durham area?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,981,173 times
42 an hour wow........

Maybe your high COL area has higher wages so you can afford it maybe it's unrealistic to try to compromise on one and not both....

Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,388,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melhunny46 View Post
Lowes home improvement. I am making 42/ hour here in NY and I don't know if I can justify going down to 28/hr considering we still have student loans to pay and other bills to keep up on. I don't want to move and then barely be able to keep up on my bills. Are there other places in Nc that pay better than west NC? Maybe Raleigh Durham area?
I would think Lowe's wage rates would be pretty similar across the state. Some variation, but not a large amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina