Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,633,225 times

Advertisements

There are hiking trails that start in downtown Blowing Rock but it is probably out of their price range. Black mountain has hiking trails as well, starting at the campground. It is a large Methodist retreat center that might be a source for non profit employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,600,715 times
[quote=headnsouth;41040782]I love Roanoke for 100 reasons but my guy is a whitewater guy and I'm happy anywhere I can hike (except bland drivey sprawly chain-friendly sidewalk-less suburbs).
Thanks for the suggestions, folks...... )

================================================== =================

I'd suggest Franklin, NC, or Bryson City, NC etc. The Nantahala River is the most famous for whitewater rafting, kayaking, etc. and check out the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Awesome ! Here is a search with several great links. That's where I'd go, in a heartbeat.

nantahala whitewater rafting - W3i Yahoo Search Results=

Old 09-02-2015, 02:31 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,179,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
We're currently in Roanoke which is a nice little city with a solid downtown and lots of locally owned shops/restaurants and very little sprawl and some jobs & regional nonprofits & etc.

Is there anything like that in Western NC? Smaller than #rke is fine, just walkable and interesting, not walmart-y and sprawly. Asheville proper is much larger and more expensive than suits us.
Hendersonville and Brevard would be my recommendations. Both offer enough to keep you busy in terms of things to do and have attractive walkable downtown areas that aren't overtly touristy.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,302,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
OP might also want to consider Boone.
Boone isn't actually very walkable, if you're literally talking about walking. You can get an apartment downtown, but that doesn't put you within a decent distance of any grocery stores. Not to mention the hills and almost total lack of crosswalks on 321. Also not very bike friendly. But the fact that the buses are free for everyone helps mitigate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina