Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 01:15 PM

16 posts, read 10,120 times

Advertisements

I'm a 56 year-old hairstylist with an established business in San Francisco. My partner and I are ready for a simpler less stressful life and love the Asheville area. My concern is that when I leave my clients here I have to start completely over. No horizontal move. I will have to get all new clients. How realistic is this to pull off? I know that prices are lower in general in Asheville for services but I can't live on minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,517,697 times
No idea of prices for styling in SF but would guess cost of living here less. My hair stylist came from New Orleans charges $55 for wash, cut, blow dry and is the best I've ever had anywhere. He works out of his shop at home so keeps price down.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 AM

411 posts, read 617,243 times
I'm not a stylist, but I speak with mine about her business. She's an amazing stylist, but struggled after moving to this saturated market. She had to use Groupon, and it still took her two years to establish a client base who would pay the prices she was asking as a very experienced stylist.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 AM

That is kind of what I am anticipating, if I do move there. I expect to lower my prices because the overhead is not gonna be as high as San Francisco but I think it would be hard to charge half as much after having 30 years of experience. I currently charge $68 for a woman's haircut, which is pretty average in the city here. Certainly not high end.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Do you know what part of Asheville she started in?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:08 PM

78 posts, read 102,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalog2 View Post
I'm a 56 year-old hairstylist with an established business in San Francisco. My partner and I are ready for a simpler less stressful life and love the Asheville area. My concern is that when I leave my clients here I have to start completely over. No horizontal move. I will have to get all new clients. How realistic is this to pull off? I know that prices are lower in general in Asheville for services but I can't live on minimum wage.
I think you'd have a tough time. The woman who cuts my hair is super-talented, has a chair at a good salon (so far as I can tell!) in trendy West Asheville, was born and raised in the area, and has a side business, and is still struggling to find an affordable apartment within the city. As others have said, while the absolute cost of living here is lower than it is in NYC or SF or most big cities, the gap between cost of living and pay is way out of whack. For better or for worse Asheville is overexposed, and so many people want to be here right now. I think it'd be stressful for you here, at least in the beginning. If you could save up enough to live on for a year you might be able to make it work, or maybe consider some of the other pretty small towns in WNC like Waynesville or Weaverville. They'd probably pay even less than you could make in Asheville but the cost of living could be considerably lower.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 PM

411 posts, read 617,243 times
I'm not sure where she started, but she's in South Asheville now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina