Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times

Advertisements

hey all,

we have never done the virginia creeper Virginia Creeper Trail Guide to Virginia's Mountain Biking Adventure

it is about a 1.45h drive from here.

has anyone been there just for the day and was it doable?

spending a night is an option, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
I've done half of it (and less) as a day trip (starting in Damascus) from the Triad and it was very doable. Its easy to do half, since Damascus in the middle...just go one direction or the other until you reach the end (or as far as you want to go) then turn around and head back to Damascus.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
hey all,

we have never done the virginia creeper Virginia Creeper Trail Guide to Virginia's Mountain Biking Adventure

it is about a 1.45h drive from here.

has anyone been there just for the day and was it doable?

spending a night is an option, too.

It's a beautiful area, you would be more relaxed and have more fun staying overnight though. Perfect time of the year to go up there too. There are a few very nice B&B's there also.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM

78 posts, read 101,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
It's a beautiful area, you would be more relaxed and have more fun staying overnight though. Perfect time of the year to go up there too. There are a few very nice B&B's there also.
I completely agreeā€”if possible, stay overnight and enjoy Damascus. It's a cool little (actually, tiny) town, and a nice break from comparatively metropolitan Asheville. Last October I rode the Creeper up the mountain and halfway back, about ~50 miles total. I started in Abingdon, which is also very pretty and charmingly small-town, but it feels a lot bigger than Damascus, which has maybe one traffic light. I left Asheville very early in the morning and finished up the ride around 4 or 5. I was pretty pooped, and as a result extremely happy to be spending the rest of the night relaxing in Damascus. I rented a comfortable room at the Hikers Inn, which is right on main street, for less than $100. You could make it back to town though.

If you decide to stay in Damascus definitely check out the brewery. The beer's excellent but it's just a really friendly mix of locals, A-T through-hikers, and tourists. (Good music, too; if I recall correctly they were playing Steely Dan when I was there.) I really need to get back to Damascus soon!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:33 PM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
We moved to Asheville from Abingdon 2 years ago, and greatly miss the Creeper Trail as nothing like it here. It's grown in popularity and gets very crowded on weekends. The best time is earlier in the day during the week. Most out of area visitors take a shuttle with your own bike or rent one up to the top and coast down. Unfortunately, there are some coming down in groups going way too fast. Each section is different, from Abingdon to Damascus is gentler and from Damascus to White Top is steeper. There're many old railroad bridges to cross, with the longest between Watuaga and Alverado being 600+ feet long. The real test is to ride uphill and not take the tourists group ride down hill. There's a great trout stream that runs alongside the Trail once you get to Damascus. The Barter Theater, the State Theater of Virginia, is also in Abingdon, but only a few good restaurants. There used to be as many horse riders as bike riders, but with the commercialization of the Creeper too many bike riders for that anymore. Stay overnight and enjoy the area. This is what the Asheville area really needs, not more "greeenways" that become off leash dog parks.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:44 PM

78 posts, read 101,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
We moved to Asheville from Abingdon 2 years ago, and greatly miss the Creeper Trail as nothing like it here. It's grown in popularity and gets very crowded on weekends. The best time is earlier in the day during the week. Most out of area visitors take a shuttle with your own bike or rent one up to the top and coast down. Unfortunately, there are some coming down in groups going way too fast. Each section is different, from Abingdon to Damascus is gentler and from Damascus to White Top is steeper. There're many old railroad bridges to cross, with the longest between Watuaga and Alverado being 600+ feet long. The real test is to ride uphill and not take the tourists group ride down hill. There's a great trout stream that runs alongside the Trail once you get to Damascus. The Barter Theater, the State Theater of Virginia, is also in Abingdon, but only a few good restaurants. There used to be as many horse riders as bike riders, but with the commercialization of the Creeper too many bike riders for that anymore. Stay overnight and enjoy the area. This is what the Asheville area really needs, not more "greeenways" that become off leash dog parks.
Good observations. I went on a Thursday morning. From Abingdon to Damascus I saw a lot of cows but very few people. It definitely got more crowded as I neared White Top and the day got later, but it wasn't intolerable. I can imagine it'd be uncomfortable and maybe a little dangerous going uphill during the weekend.

Have you ever ridden the Greenbriar River Trail in WV, or any other long-distance rail trails in the mid-Atlantic? I'm always on the lookout for a good rail trail. I'm bike crazy, but my wife won't ride on the road. The Pine Creek trail, which goes through the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania," is really beautiful.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:46 PM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheBoludo View Post
Good observations. I went on a Thursday morning. From Abingdon to Damascus I saw a lot of cows but very few people. It definitely got more crowded as I neared White Top and the day got later, but it wasn't intolerable. I can imagine it'd be uncomfortable and maybe a little dangerous going uphill during the weekend.

Have you ever ridden the Greenbriar River Trail in WV, or any other long-distance rail trails in the mid-Atlantic? I'm always on the lookout for a good rail trail. I'm bike crazy, but my wife won't ride on the road. The Pine Creek trail, which goes through the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania," is really beautiful.
You definitely need to go to the New River Trail, 57 miles, mostly flat, another rail-to-trail. Not as crowded as the Creeper, which has become more like an amusement park ride, take you up and you coast down to Damascus. New River Trail is easily accessible from either I-81 or I-77. New River Trail State Park | Virginia Trails | TrailLink.com

Old 09-02-2015, 03:46 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
We used to ride the Creeper Trail a LOT... different sections of it at different times. If the OP decides to spend the night, definitely take the time to visit Abingdon, whether you stay there or not. If the budget doesn't fit the Martha Washington Inn, at least go by and peek your head in... pretty special place.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
thanks for all the great advice.

I am a little discouraged to go on sunday or monday (labor day) now . but with kids in school there are not too many options when it comes to weekdays.
we might do half the trail only, driving to damaskus, then take the shuttle up to white top mountain. we'll see.

a friend also recommended this one to me: Swamp Rabbit. Traveller's Rest to Greenville, SC -- nice,closer, but not as pretty.

what I really miss when I think back to all the years, I was riding bikes in germany ... I don't think there is a single river that is not accompanied by a great bike trail - same thing applies to lakes.

we for sure have a need for more greenways here in our area.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
A whole lot of the VA Creeper Trail is beside water. A good part of the section from Damascus to Abingdon runs along side the Holston River. The upper portion has tumbling mountain streams alongside and more varied scenery & terrain.

If you are not seriously in shape and with younger children, you'll enjoy the ride down from White Top. Some people think it's for wimps, but I'm not proud... I love it... when I'm not up for a more rigorous ride.

It'll be busy on a holiday weekend, but it should still be enjoyable. If you are renting bikes and planning to use the shuttle, be sure to call in advance and make reservations with one of the bike shops.

I agree with Imhere now, the New River Trail is also a super bike trail. An easy drive from Charlotte, but further from Asheville than the Creeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina