Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM

10 posts, read 9,171 times

Advertisements

I've tried to find what I need and I can't, maybe I'm just not inputting the right stuff into Google. So, I'M here.
My apologies if I'm only permitted one question per thread. I didn't spot anything in the rules about that. D:

For a little bit of back story (lol, no pun meant here...), I'm a writer, and the novel I intend to publish takes place largely in Asheville. I used to live in Leicester from the time I was five until a couple months shy of my tenth birthday, and I remember a good hunk of stuff -- but hardly enough to write a factual description of the area. Google isn't really assisting me, partially because I've no idea how to write it in a way that makes sense unless it's like two paragraphs long. @_@ I hope someone here can assist me.

My first question may be a bit confusing, so please bear with me.
I know that Grove Arcade is on Page Avenue and I know that Patton Avenue connects to it, so that's easy to fix for my novel. The downside is I'm totally blanking on that area a little north of town is, where Beaucatcher Tunnel and iirc an old Walmart are. How is it you go there? @_@ I'm wanting to write a scene that takes place in Beaucatcher Tunnel.
(And an even odder question: does Beaucatcher Tunnel still smell kinda funny? Because I swear, growing up it had the oddest smell...)

What's a cheap, decent hotel in that area as well, if there are any? Since the main lead character that's driving is not from Asheville, but Deltona, Florida, I'm hoping for something quick and easy.

And finally, in that same area, what is there to eat? Is there anything that would be open at midnight on a Monday in the final weeks of December?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:33 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,402,313 times
Its College street that heads more or less east (east northeast?) to Beaucatcher Tunnel, where it changes names to Tunnel Road.

Lots of hotels on Tunnel Road, including the old Mountaineer Inn. multiphotos

Not out that way, but a cool place for your character to stay is the Log Cabin Motor Court: Index | theashevillecabins.com | Lodging Cabin Rentals Vacation Rentals Asheville North Carolina

Theres a Waffle House on Tunnel Road.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:47 AM

ARGHHHH I knew it was obvious.
Also wow, the Mountaineer Inn. I'm pretty sure that's where I stayed when I visited my grandparents when I was four, but I got confused and thought it was out towards Enka??? It'll also help because I'm sure someone can make a joke about the sign.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm sorry to have asked such dumb questions but I just honestly was drawing a total blank. Ahhh thanks again!

Old 09-11-2015, 12:01 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,216,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
I've tried to find what I need and I can't, maybe I'm just not inputting the right stuff into Google. So, I'M here.
My apologies if I'm only permitted one question per thread. I didn't spot anything in the rules about that. D:

For a little bit of back story (lol, no pun meant here...), I'm a writer, and the novel I intend to publish takes place largely in Asheville. I used to live in Leicester from the time I was five until a couple months shy of my tenth birthday, and I remember a good hunk of stuff -- but hardly enough to write a factual description of the area. Google isn't really assisting me, partially because I've no idea how to write it in a way that makes sense unless it's like two paragraphs long. @_@ I hope someone here can assist me.

My first question may be a bit confusing, so please bear with me.
I know that Grove Arcade is on Page Avenue and I know that Patton Avenue connects to it, so that's easy to fix for my novel. The downside is I'm totally blanking on that area a little north of town is, where Beaucatcher Tunnel and iirc an old Walmart are. How is it you go there? @_@ I'm wanting to write a scene that takes place in Beaucatcher Tunnel.
(And an even odder question: does Beaucatcher Tunnel still smell kinda funny? Because I swear, growing up it had the oddest smell...)

What's a cheap, decent hotel in that area as well, if there are any? Since the main lead character that's driving is not from Asheville, but Deltona, Florida, I'm hoping for something quick and easy.

And finally, in that same area, what is there to eat? Is there anything that would be open at midnight on a Monday in the final weeks of December?
This is great, and I wish you all the success in the world. I love Southern writers. May I ask what program you use to write with?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:08 PM

Thanks so much for the well wishes, kmarc!
I use FocusWriter and yWriter 6.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:22 PM

411 posts, read 617,177 times
Papas and Beer is right by the tunnel, but they close at 11:00. You could always go with the Waffle House. Also (in case it matters), Wal-Mart isn't there anymore. Other hotels/ motels near the tunnel: Mt Vue Motel, Blue Ridge Motor Lodge, Holiday Inn and Suites, Homewood Suites, Town House Motel, Extended Stay America.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieisanartist View Post
Papas and Beer is right by the tunnel, but they close at 11:00. You could always go with the Waffle House. Also (in case it matters), Wal-Mart isn't there anymore. Other hotels/ motels near the tunnel: Mt Vue Motel, Blue Ridge Motor Lodge, Holiday Inn and Suites, Homewood Suites, Town House Motel, Extended Stay America.
Yeah, I remembered the WalMart finally moved into the bleachery a few years ago, I was just blanking on other landmarks so I threw it out haha.

I'll check into those as well once I'm home and on a proper computer. Since the three leads are just older teen/twenty somethings, money isn't exactly something they'll have much of, so gotta price shop.
Thanks for the extra info!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,634,456 times
I have an odd question about Asheville - was the "city " portion of "a walk in the woods" filmed in Asheville?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 AM

411 posts, read 617,177 times
I found this: "While most of the film locations are in Georgia near the southern end of the 2,174-mile trail, the biggest landmark in North Carolina that you’ll see in the movie is Fontana Dam."

On a side note, I'm feeling pretty grumbly that no one in the movie can seem to pronounce "Appalachian" correctly.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:38 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,634,456 times
I definitely recognized Max Patch. The location credits were Burford Ga, Fredricksburg Md, and North Carolina (general). I thought I recognized the fenced overpass as one over I-26 but I don't drive past enogh to say for sure. The scene with the auto mall sprawl seemed too hilly to be Fredricksburg, perhaps it could have been Burford, but it looked like Asheville terrain.

The Calhoun's restaurant is a red herring - that's a TN chain, plus it's décor is more fern bar than diner. Ovbiously product placement as there is a Calhoun's in Gatlinburg and they want to reel in customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: