Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 05:59 PM
pvs pvs started this thread

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times

Advertisements

So it looks like there's going to be some new growth in the Laurel Park area in Hendersonville. Could be exciting. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly where this might happen ... up near the Ingles on Route 64?

I'm hoping this works out, and brings some new life to this area.

Henderson County News: Laurel Park clears way for breweries - Hendersonville Lightning

What is the online consensus? Do you folk say yea or nay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
The only thing I know about the Laurel Park Village, which is the location of the proposed micro-brewery, is that the entire Laurel Park Village property is listed for sale in the WNC MLS for $8+ million. There had been a pending sale on the property just a few months ago; but evidently that deal fell through because it is back on the market.

There are several vacant stores in there currently, and over the years tenant turnover has been maybe 40%, quite often, as well as recently. I have no personal opinion whether it would be a "good thing" one way or the other to have a micro brewery in there. However, my instincts tell me it would not go over very well with the LP general population in that particular location, as I know several people who live in LP who may not favor it. It would be like putting a micro brewery in Flat Rock. NIMBY

Old 09-23-2015, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, QC. I'm actually a bit surprised by the lack of interest here on CD. I kinda thought more folks would've added some thoughts.

Interesting info you have on the Laurel Park Village property. At any rate, I am hopeful that "strip mall" (for lack of a better term) might become more lively. Aye, there's always several storefronts that are vacant.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:14 AM

643 posts, read 670,257 times
Don't know why people in LP would not favor a brewery - it's not a strip club, for heaven's sake! There's nothing inherently offensive about a brewery unless you are a member of the WCTU and as far as I know, Laurel Park is not Evanston, IL where there is still a strong throw back to the WCTU despite being a college town. Small breweries have become not only local gathering places but are family friendly. Personally I love going to SAP and watching people enjoy the music, conversation, kids playing and couples dancing or just tapping their feet. I don't even drink beer and my husband doesn't drink at all yet we still enjoy meeting friends there, listening to music under the stars and having a glass of wine. A brewery has the potential to bring in other business (food is the most obvious) and other businesses can benefit as well - look at the Market Place next to SAP.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:31 AM

The article in "The Lightning" paper said that Laurel Park Town Council changed the zoning to approve a brewery.

I merely said that some LP folks that I know are not excited about a brewery in that small area, and the traffic it would bring. It is a nice mix of residential up Pisgah Dr., a retirement/assisted living facility, physicians buildings, a rehabilitation center, etc. The 'village' strip shopping center needs more stores, it's always been very nice; but the rents are high in there and there is a lot of turnover of businesses. Not sure if the Ingles in there will be getting a much needed face lift, or even if it will continue to be there after the Ingles on Spartanburg Hwy. is rebuilt. PVS is asking for opinions from posters, but LP being such a small area, I wouldn't expect to see much or any feedback from the small LP neighborhood if they are even on this forum. The fact is that the entire shopping center is for sale for over $8 million, and is listed on MLS as we speak. (What is SAP?) NIMBY = 'not in my backyard'.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 AM

643 posts, read 670,257 times
Quilter - SAP should have been SAB - Southern Appalachian Brewery - slip of the fingers! I know NIMBY and think I'm pretty acronym savvy but learned a new one today - LSHMSFOAIDMT = Laughing so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco, but the appeal is kind of lost on me - must be a generational thing!

Old 09-24-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Quilter - SAP should have been SAB - Southern Appalachian Brewery - slip of the fingers! I know NIMBY and think I'm pretty acronym savvy but learned a new one today - LSHMSFOAIDMT = Laughing so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco, but the appeal is kind of lost on me - must be a generational thing!

That is too funny ! more than 2 pints of a good micro brew and I wouldn't even remember the alphabet.

If they put a brewery in Laurel Park, that would be an excuse for a local meet up !

Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 PM

119 posts, read 173,444 times
If our deal for land (in Hendersonville) goes though, I would like to see the Brewery go up. Not that we go much, but it is nice to have choices. We like going to just hang out, have a beer or two and just shoot the breeze with friends.

I would like to check out SAB, sounds pretty cool.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Maybe it will beat the record.

Bend, Oregon has 17 breweries, one great ski resort (Mt. Bachelor), & a population of 80,000. That’s a brewery for every 4,205 humans in Bend. According the the Seattle Times quote above, this gives bend the highest micro-brewery per capita in the nation and the title of ‘Beer City USA.’ This makes Bend an extremely attractive place to visit for all of us snow/beer freaks out there. It doesn’t hurt that Mt. Bachelor averages 463” of snow each winter, either…

Old 09-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That is too funny ! more than 2 pints of a good micro brew and I wouldn't even remember the alphabet.

If they put a brewery in Laurel Park, that would be an excuse for a local meet up !
sounds like fun, QC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina