Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,642 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a single female from Connecticut that will be 62 in May. I'm ready to leave the blizzards and taxes behind and move to WNC. My wish list is rather lengthy. I guess the best way to put it is, I'm looking for a place like Pinehurst but without the extreme summer heat and the white pines (just don't care for them) which makes me think perhaps the foothills? I would then, also, get the benefit of mountain views. I'd like to own my own home, but in a safe retirement community where I will make fast friendships. Any advise would be appreciated. I've become obsessed and confused trying to zero in on a few places I should consider visiting!!!'
Thanks, Trish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:45 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,654,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishFromCT View Post
Hello! I am a single female from Connecticut that will be 62 in May. I'm ready to leave the blizzards and taxes behind and move to WNC. My wish list is rather lengthy. I guess the best way to put it is, I'm looking for a place like Pinehurst but without the extreme summer heat and the white pines (just don't care for them) which makes me think perhaps the foothills? I would then, also, get the benefit of mountain views. I'd like to own my own home, but in a safe retirement community where I will make fast friendships. Any advise would be appreciated. I've become obsessed and confused trying to zero in on a few places I should consider visiting!!!'
Thanks, Trish

Price range / budget Trish ? Golf as in Pinehurst ?

Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 AM

13,394 posts, read 27,279,385 times
Quote:
I'd like to own my own home, but in a safe retirement community where I will make fast friendships. Any advise would be appreciated.
If you budget is very small, there are senior mobile home communities in Hendersonville and other places. You could own the home for under $100K, but you pay lot rent.

There are also some moderate-priced senior townhouse communities in Greensboro/Burlington area (more the Triad than Western NC). Then there is the Del Webb community (and many others) near Charlotte.

If your budget is over $300K, there are some great condo communities in/near Asheville. You can find more resort-style or golf-course comminities at the "Private Communities" website. You might like Trilogy at Lake Norman in the Charlotte area.

You will have to define the budget and the type of housing you want to get specific help.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-02-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 AM

4,804 posts, read 10,679,141 times
Agree that house budget is the underlying key...
There are dozens to consider, but price/running costs/club costs are all connected, and the basic issue.
GL, mD

Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,579,462 times
My brother-in-law's parents retired from PA to Tryon many years ago and loved it. It's a horsey area, but you don't have to be into horses to enjoy the area. There seems to be a sizable retiree population there. It's mid-way between Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC, both small cities with a lot of amenities. Terrain-wise, it's sort of foothills and sort of mountains.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Thanks all! My max would be around $275.00. I wish to be mortgage free so I'll be paying cash. I'm not a golfer, but I like the demographics of Pinehurat, especially the average age, and I've seen many nice, newer homes on realtor.com., but the summer heat seems to be a bit much. I'd like a single, newer home or a home that has been dated, with a small PRIVATE back yard. Perhaps what I'm looking for is in a 55+ neighborhood, if there is such a thing.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 PM

13,394 posts, read 27,279,385 times
Quote:
Thanks all! My max would be around $275.00.... I'd like a single, newer home or a home that has been dated, with a small PRIVATE back yard. Perhaps what I'm looking for is in a 55+ neighborhood, if there is such a thing.
I am assuming you mean $275,000 to purchase. Given your desire for a private yard, I think you should not look at the 55+ communities. For example, look in Hendersonville in your price range, as there are numerous ranch-type homes on level lots. You might then join a senior center or find a community with a clubhouse. Hendersonville is attractive to retirees and is more moderately priced than Asheville.

While it might be easier to find friend in a 55+ community, they are typically built on very small lots. The ones that do landscaping for you typically do not allow fences.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,451,889 times
Pinehurst is hot, no doubt about it—probably one of the hottest places in the state, but the Foothills are not that much cooler. You really have to get above 3000 feet to see a marked change in temp, but then you're dealing with more snow in the winter.

For Foothills towns I think of cities like Morganton and Hickory and there's just not much appreciable difference in temperature between them and places like Raleigh or Charlotte or Winston-Salem.

If you leave the Sandhills (Pinehurst area) you will see the summer temps drop about 2-5 degrees in the rest of the Piedmont and Foothills areas.

If the temps are your highest priority look to Boone, Blowing Rock, Highlands, Cashiers, etc. If you just want a nice retirement location that's a few degrees cooler consider Chapel Hill, Hendersonville, etc. There are lots of 55+ communities scattered all over NC.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Yes! I don't. believe I'd find what I'm looking for at $275.00!!! I looked into Hendersonville but I believe the crime rate was a little high. I'll check again. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2015, 12:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,451,889 times
Hendersonville in western NC is a popular retirement destination. It's in Henderson County.

Henderson, NC is a town in the piedmont in Vance County a little northeast of Durham, NC, and it has a bad rep as far as crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina