Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,406 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I want to relocate to Laurel Springs, NC sometime next year where we recently purchased an older style cabin with 50 acres of land. We have always loved the country and the outdoors, throughout the last 5 years we have spent every christmas and new years week in the NC/TN mountain area. We wanted to get away from the big city lifestyle and move to the North Carolina mountains so Western North Carolina was an easy choice for us since we fell in love with the area. Does anyone have any more information about the area? Is it difficult to find jobs for a bilingual person? How difficult would it be for us to live in a rural neighborhood having lived in the city for the past 21 years? I heard its a long drive to almost anywhere but I don't mind long drives, especially not in the country.

Thank you for you time and feedback!

Jose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,385,576 times
"Does anyone have any more information about the area? Is it difficult to find jobs for a bilingual person? How difficult would it be for us to live in a rural neighborhood having lived in the city for the past 21 years?"

These would be good questions to know the answers to before buying there, imo.

Its a beautiful, but very rural and isolated area. The closest job center is Boone, about an hour an away, and even there, jobs will be quite limited. You are in for a huge adjustment. Good luck.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 10-07-2015 at 05:27 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP883 View Post
Hello,
My family and I want to relocate to Laurel Springs, NC sometime next year where we recently purchased an older style cabin with 50 acres of land. We have always loved the country and the outdoors, throughout the last 5 years we have spent every christmas and new years week in the NC/TN mountain area. We wanted to get away from the big city lifestyle and move to the North Carolina mountains so Western North Carolina was an easy choice for us since we fell in love with the area. Does anyone have any more information about the area? Is it difficult to find jobs for a bilingual person? How difficult would it be for us to live in a rural neighborhood having lived in the city for the past 21 years? I heard its a long drive to almost anywhere but I don't mind long drives, especially not in the country.

Thank you for you time and feedback!

Jose
You've been coming here for Five years. You know far better than any of us how your family would adjust to rural living.

The only jobs I know of near Laurel Springs are on Christmas Tree farms.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
Besides Boone, your closest job center (if you want to call it that) is Wilkesboro/N. Wilkesboro which are approximately 25 miles. There might be a non-profit organization in that area needing a bilingual employee. I saw an ad recently for a community action agency in Boone looking for bilingual applicants. Don't rule out Jefferson and W. Jefferson too.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM

497 posts, read 969,255 times
Sorry, but I find this post disingenuous. It doesn't make sense that some one would relocate and have no idea as to whether they will like country life and if there are any jobs, after having bought 50 acres and a cabin near Laurel Springs. I will be interesting to see if we hear from Jose again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina