Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 05:38 AM

47 posts, read 47,367 times

Advertisements

Hubby wants to do a zip line somewhere in the WNC area, preferably over mountainous range, and since I've never done one before and somewhat afraid of heights, I've decided I'm going to face down this fear and get on one.
Thinking it might be best to start on a small scale and graduate up to the mountainous one, does anyone have a recommendation of one I could start with?
Also, any support or encouragement from someone who has conquered this too, would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,903 times
Where more specifically in WNC? Asheville area? Boone/Banner Elk? Elsewhere? WNC is a big place.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,625,569 times
Imo, I would rec'd Navitat Asheville...
Actually north of Asheville in/outside of Bernardsville.

Asheville NC Zipline Adventure | 100-percent tree based tour | Navitat - Navitat

We have done the various zips there several times, with fam members/friends in town, et al.

We did have a pair of friends where the husband refused and just hung out and read a book, while his wife and us did the couple hour+ set of zips. That is an option for you to allow hub to enjoy real mtn zips, with some of the longest & fastest zips in the east.

If you are resistant to doing zips yourself and don't feel you could do the Navitat sets or 'sit out', this one is Asheville is Zip 099 or remedial/low impact beginner's zip:
Asheville Treetops Adventure Park | Asheville Zipline | Adventurous Outdoor Activities in Downtown Asheville.

Your hub will be bored after the long indoctrination and slow/short zips there, imo.

Fwiw, we have been on many zips at Navitat where someone in the group is very leery, but after the good pre game talk and their first zip they always are ecstatic and comfortable for rest of zips. The longer zip course at Navitat provides for 'auto braking' vs having to use your gloved hand to drag on cable above you to slow you down.

Our 12 yr old granddaughter has been zipping with us for a couple years; it is easy to learn, exhilarating and good outdoor stuff.

Otoh, if you are phobic about heights, or have considerable trepidation, etc, I understand. Give it some thought and talk with your husband, and maybe give the Asheville Treetops a try.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 10-09-2015 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,357,789 times
Where do you live in NC? Maybe try one close to home first and see what you think? There are some free ones in public parks and playgrounds that aren't very high off the ground, so no harness, etc needed.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:10 PM

47 posts, read 47,367 times
Thanks guys!!! I'll look into all of these.

We're in the Asheville area, so anything within a moderate driving distance would work best.

Motordavid, I like the idea of having a "sit out" option just in case but I'm hoping to gain confidence if I start low and progress to the more challenging zips.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,457,078 times
Best advice is DON'T !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina