Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times

Advertisements

Is there any particular issues that any of you are aware of, with this townhouse community off of Beaverdam Road? I've done a quick search on CD and couldn't come up with anything, and would appreciate any of your opinions on whether this makes a nice seasonal home.

We are looking for something low maintenance, of manageable size, with views and trees.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:51 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Check the maintenance charges in that place. They are pretty high.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 AM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
We live off of Merrimon and shop at the Ingles on the corner of Beaverdam Road. If you haven't been there, that road gets very congested as it's only two lanes with no left turning lanes. It's also a country type road being narrow and curvy. There are several developments underway off Beaverdam, including the Thoms Estate. I am not familiar with the Timbers, so can't comment. Nothing better than a site visit.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:05 AM

Yes, I saw the monthly HOA fees and will observe the traffic patterns when we're up there next week. I have also put another community, Beaverdam Run, on the list of places to check out.

I guess traffic congestion is...everywhere we (and others) like. Kind of like a reverse of that Yogi Berra quote "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded". *sigh*

Old 10-14-2015, 11:48 AM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” (Yogi)

Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 PM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
Default Let us know what you discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
Yes, I saw the monthly HOA fees and will observe the traffic patterns when we're up there next week. I have also put another community, Beaverdam Run, on the list of places to check out.

I guess traffic congestion is...everywhere we (and others) like. Kind of like a reverse of that Yogi Berra quote "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded". *sigh*
Hi InvestorScooter - I'm interested in hearing your impressions of the 2 places.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:29 PM

Will report back, Xenah!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Hi InvestorScooter - I'm interested in hearing your impressions of the 2 places.
We viewed 2 units in The Timbers, and 3 units at Beaverdam Run. Both communities have exteriors which blend into the landscape, which we thought was ideal. They are also older and have plainer features, which we also appreciate. We like things to be understated. They are also both what the REALTORS call "lock and leave", good for seasonal folk.

The advantage to The Timbers is that it is heavily wooded, if you like that type of thing. You really feel that you're in a forest of sorts. It is also closer to the intersection of Merrimon and Beaverdam Road, so maybe you'd be less affected by the traffic which is surely to increase as Thoms Estate continues to develop. Right now the road didn't seem so bad. All manner of conveniences are right there, honestly.

What we did not like was the steepness of the community; we couldn't picture people really walking around and congregating and paying each other visits on foot. It was planned for maximum privacy and is not as communal as Beaverdam Run appears to be. Also, some of the units have garages and some do not, I believe.

Beaverdam Run is sited on a more gentle topography, and sprawls, though there are some units "up the mountain". We liked the common areas; the density appears rather low, and most of the units which we saw were clustered in 3s or 4s. They appear to be well constructed and the floorplans were pretty nice, with large porches and balconies.

You could choose flatland units (though some or most may be in a floodzone, requiring additional insurance), mid-level units going up towards the steeper side of the hill/mountain, or units which seem solidly perched on level areas above the valley floor.

HOA fees are high at both communities; $580 at BR, can't remember at The Timbers. These are gated communities so I believe they own the maintenance of the roads. It may be that they were grandfathered in when the city annexed this area. That may account for some of the high fees. BR is volunteer managed; they seem like a cohesive group, very capable. But that is looking from the outside (I read several years' worth of newsletters - they have a comprehensive website for people to check on, quite transparent. I found it very interesting!) The history of the property is also fascinating!

For us, we will continue to consider BR (if the right unit came up), but we are also looking a bit north toward Weaverville, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina