Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 13,277 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could post any recent info on the Franklin/Otto area pertaining to growth, new business openings etc. We visited the WNC area in September and really were taken with the beauty and friendly people we met. We've been talking with a couple realtors and actively researching the listings available as well as the "lay of the land." Grateful for any input, Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 07:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I agree. This area is so beautiful. I've been in Franklin for several months and I'm still in awe of its jaw-dropping views, even when I drive to the library or to Walmart.

I haven't lived here long enough to really make a well informed assessment, but I'll post my opinion, for what it's worth.

From what I can tell, there really hasn't been much business growth. It's a popular retirement area, but I've been told the pay is terrible. What did the Realtors tell you? If you are retired and can live on your income and savings, this is a very affordable place to live, but I would recommend you secure a job if you need one before you decide to move here. There must be a good reason my neighbor commutes over 150 miles to Asheville and back. The largest employers (as far as I know) are Angel Memorial and Drake Software.

Also, you didn't say where you live now. Have you ever lived in a small town? I like it here, so I am in no way being negative, but living in Franklin is very different from being near a city with a lot of shopping and restaurants like Asheville. I would suggest you rent for a while wherever you go before making any permanent lifestyle changes.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 AM

Well right now we live in the Florida Keys. Not much here except water, tourist shops,restaurants and marinas. We do own a home in Bonita Springs Florida but only use it to escape the Keys for a couple days to relax after working for 14 days straight. We will be looking for employment but aren't really picky. I've managed the same restaurant/marina for over 18 years and my wife runs the retail store so I figured we wouldn't have too much of a problem finding something in the hospitality/retail area. I could be wrong I guess. I think I'd enjoy a job where someone tells me what to do for a change!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitawa View Post
Well right now we live in the Florida Keys. Not much here except water, tourist shops,restaurants and marinas. We do own a home in Bonita Springs Florida but only use it to escape the Keys for a couple days to relax after working for 14 days straight. We will be looking for employment but aren't really picky. I've managed the same restaurant/marina for over 18 years and my wife runs the retail store so I figured we wouldn't have too much of a problem finding something in the hospitality/retail area. I could be wrong I guess. I think I'd enjoy a job where someone tells me what to do for a change!
I would definitely NOT assume that.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:32 AM

I kinda had feeling that might be the case. Probably best to wait a couple more years I suppose.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Agree with Carolinadawg2. I lived in Bonita for over 13 years and know the area well. This is an entirely different scene.

Do your homework and make sure you have jobs before you make a permanent move. If you plan to return to Franklin for a week or more, you can sent me a DM if you're interested in staying in a private home instead of a hotel. I'm not personally soliciting anything..just know where there are some nice places.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the offer just Nancy! I'll be sure to do that if we decide on another trip up. Bonita is very nice..too nice and that's why it gets such an influx of people in season and new residents. We are ready to get away from the crowds and heat so we are looking for small mountain towns. I already found a couple jobs I'd be well qualified for but we're just will not be ready to move until next year.
Thanks again for all the input.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 PM

769 posts, read 829,945 times
I have family that live in Franklin and near Highlands, I would live there if I could find a job. But there are virtually no good paying jobs. I work in IT and actually applied for a job with Macon County schools, and it would have been a $40,000 pay cut, would have to pay more in insurance, and working for a chronically underfunded, understaffed school system.

No thanks...

I don't want to live in Asheville, there are a few more jobs there, but not many. WNC is just not a good place for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina