Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 01:04 PM

48 posts, read 297,091 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, me and my girlfriend are thinking about moving from RI. She wants to stay but I can't stand RI it's soo boring . I'm thinking either MN,CO, or NC (mainly NC) What are the best cities to live in NC... I'm looking for good jobs that pay well-houses that are good and don't cost to too much-not alot of crime-good schools-good environment- cities that aren't too crowded like more than 120,000 but aren't like less than 5,000 people,-Oh and like i said in the topic -Is Asheville and good city to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 02:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,912,377 times
Well, actually, the city of Asheville itself is pretty expensive, even more than Charlotte or Greensboro. But, if you go out into the surrounding towns, it's pretty affordable. Asheville's economy is based in tourism/retirees. Might be good to have a job in place before you go. Having said this, I live in the Charlotte area, and love it. Don't plan on ever leaving. But if I were to go anywhere else, it would be the Asheville area. Awesome climate, beautiful landscape, safe, and has affordable areas. The Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh areas are nice as well. The jobs are very plentiful in these areas.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Doens't Greensboro and Charlotte have a high crime setting?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,019,732 times
Crime in NC Index - 2005
Revised June 2006

Violent Crime Rate per 100,000
Buncombe County - 287.7
Guilford County - 638.8
Mecklenburg County - 1,080.1

North Carolina Department of Justice

http://<b><font color="Blue">http://...pdf</font></b>

Last edited by mm34b; 11-19-2006 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,912,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaMink25 View Post
Doens't Greensboro and Charlotte have a high crime setting?
Like any area, yes. But as long as you use good common sense, know what areas to stay out of, you're fine. The crime, for the most part, is in pockets. The suburbs of these areas (Charlotte and Greensboro) are very safe. I've lived in the Charlotte area (raised in Gastonia, now live in Concord) for my 41 years of life, and have never experienced crime. My wife was raised in Burlington (near Greensboro), and never had a problem. Yes, it's out there. You just have to use your head.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:42 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,764,426 times
Do some research on previous threads and you can read the pros and cons of Asheville all night.
A big pro: The weather! Fours seasons none of which are extreme. If you like the outdoors there is a wealth of things to do. Skiing, hiking, kayaking, mountain streams.
Con: You are quite a hundred miles from a large city.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:01 PM

463 posts, read 1,652,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaMink25 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, me and my girlfriend are thinking about moving from RI. She wants to stay but I can't stand RI it's soo boring . I'm thinking either MN,CO, or NC (mainly NC) What are the best cities to live in NC... I'm looking for good jobs that pay well-houses that are good and don't cost to too much-not alot of crime-good schools-good environment- cities that aren't too crowded like more than 120,000 but aren't like less than 5,000 people,-Oh and like i said in the topic -Is Asheville and good city to live in?
Asheville is noted and notorious as a place where you should bring your own job or have one already lined up before you move there unless you have a fat bankroll or can live off of low paying jobs in the service and tourism industries in a highly desirable and expensive area in which to live. Use the forum search feature to read past threads about the job situation (or lack thereof) in Asheville. Since apparently you are planning on being a Vet but aren't one yet, and your GF would like to be in CSI, but isn't yet, I'd definitely recommend that you have jobs lined up before you move there.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-19-2006 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 PM

Any other humble opnions?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 PM

79 posts, read 359,511 times
Asheville is a great place to live. But Cassie is 100% right. This is not for the meek of pocketbook!!! Expensive housing and low pay jobs and lots of competition. It sounds like you need to get your education taken care of, find jobs then come here. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:02 PM

Ok not trying to sound racist but are there many or more gay/lesbians than there are of straight people in asheville north carolina in perticular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina