Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,618 times

Advertisements

I am having a baby at Mission in the fall, and am a little nervous about what it will be like. Could anyone share their experiences (or family/friend experiences) giving birth at Mission? I had my first child in another state, and the hospital was pretty great. Mostly the labor nurses were amazing at being supportive and coaching me through. I know this won't be the same, but I'm hoping it will be good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:01 AM

38 posts, read 64,803 times
Hi WNCmom,

I gave birth at Mission in Asheville for my first child 13 years ago. We moved around a lot and I had 3 more children in different states. I was due with my fifth early this year, and being back in the area made me also have fears of Mission. It's a large hospital with a lot going on and it hasn't received very good ratings lately. That's when I discovered Blue Ridge Hospital in Spruce Pine. It's a Mission Hospital ,but I cannot speak highly enough about our experience there! It was just like being at home and the nurses are wonderful. It's the quietest hospital I have ever been to. I was fortunate to live in between the two choices so it was an easy decision, but I hope you can consider that as an option for your birth this year as well. Best wishes!

Old 04-17-2016, 12:19 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,473,588 times
Mission is actually an incredible facility for births. I would be going to Duke (parent works there) if anything major medical happened since I don't think much of mission in terms of overall health but I wouldn't have second thoughts about having a baby there.

While I didn't have my DD at mission (not living here at the time), I know plenty who did and if we have another we will be using them. They are certified "baby friendly USA" (which I'm sure they weren't 15 yrs ago and a lot changes in that time...). That means that they practice immediate skin to skin, pro breast feeding, and low intervention. They also have tubs for water births and midwives on staff. A lot will depend on who your actual ob practice is too.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:38 PM

119 posts, read 173,485 times
I had my eldest when I lived in CT. I moved to Western NC in 98. I was living in Marion when I was pregnant with my 2nd and and 3rd child and I refused to go to the hospital in Marion. We drove 45 minutes up the mountain just to go to Mission. My 4th child was also born at Mission in 2012 (she just turned 4 in March). I never had any problems with any staff there. I became a type 1 diabetic in 2011 and suffered 3 miscarriages before my last child. I had gone to Mission a few time to the ER and Labor ER and they were all really great.

My oldest daughter was allowed in the room with us when I had my last, as was my boyfriend and his mom. They also allowed my other to kids in right after I gave birth and was cleaned up. No one rushed us, they allowed us time to bond as a whole family. My baby stayed with me in my room during my entire stay.

My nurses were great, although I had one who too over powering for me (in a nice way). She was too helpful, lol.

I think you will be happy with Mission. The nurses are supportive and great coaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina