Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,197,419 times

Advertisements

The on again, off again plans to move to the Hendersonville area may be on again. I'd be working from home, so internet and phone service could make or break me. So have there been any improvements in service recently, or any new providers who are doing a good job?

I looked at past threads in this forum, and online information and reviews. From my internet research, the situation looks pretty grim. If Morris Broadband is still top of the heap, fuhgeddaboudit. The reviews are horrible and I can't afford to lose service for days, like some have. And as if to confirm how unreliable Morris is, while I was holding for a representative, I was cut off. I didn't even bother dialing back in again.

ATT sounds about the same. I'm trying to get info on a service out of Asheville called Skyrunner, they seem to do a pretty good job, excellent reviews. However, I had to leave a message for a rep to call me back.

All I want is decent phone and internet. Is this possible or still dicey in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:18 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,359,683 times
I have had nothing but good experience with Morris BB. The service has been fast and stable. There have been maybe 10 outages in the 3 years I've had it, the shortest was maybe a few seconds, the longest was most of a day (and that was because AT&T was working in the area and forgot to reconnect something). My one complaint with them is they are EXPENSIVE for the speed you get.

I use Ooma for my phone service so I can't comment on Morris BB for that.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I have had nothing but good experience with Morris BB. The service has been fast and stable. There have been maybe 10 outages in the 3 years I've had it, the shortest was maybe a few seconds, the longest was most of a day (and that was because AT&T was working in the area and forgot to reconnect something). My one complaint with them is they are EXPENSIVE for the speed you get.

I use Ooma for my phone service so I can't comment on Morris BB for that.
I think it depends where you are in H'ville. I understand that in town, everything's peachy. Fruitland Road, Dana, not so much. Skyrunner is not yet able to service that area, but they said maybe in a year.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM

644 posts, read 671,989 times
kmarc I could pretty much post word for word what noodlecat said. We have had a few really brief outages, no more than a couple of minutes. In our past rental house we had one longer outage, maybe half a day and since we've moved into our new house, one almost full day outage that was related to power, not Morris. That's over the course of 3 years. Seems any cable company is expensive for what you get - we had the same complaint with Comcast in Chicago. We also have Ooma. We are county, not city and south of town off Kanuga. Few options is my understanding.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
kmarc I could pretty much post word for word what noodlecat said. We have had a few really brief outages, no more than a couple of minutes. In our past rental house we had one longer outage, maybe half a day and since we've moved into our new house, one almost full day outage that was related to power, not Morris. That's over the course of 3 years. Seems any cable company is expensive for what you get - we had the same complaint with Comcast in Chicago. We also have Ooma. We are county, not city and south of town off Kanuga. Few options is my understanding.
Very few options. Like two, really. Morris and ATT. The online reviews for both are real stinkers, and it's not just a couple of disgruntled customers, it's a whole bunch and a lot of it recently, like the past week or two. OTOH, Skyrunner has incredibly good reviews. But they have a different way of doing things, it's broadcast internet from strategic mountaintops and there has to be a line of sight that they don't have in the area where we'd be.

All this came up rather suddenly for us. A house and an opportunity to work from home and it all fell into place until this phone/internet issue reared its ugly head. I could just throw caution to the winds and say it'll all work out, but it would be a disaster to get there and find out oh, too bad, where we're located just happens to be a bad spot and so far, that's what I'm picking up. Plus my SO is a retired musician and likes to watch a lot of live streams of music and also current events and You Tube and stuff like that. If the buffering is that bad, it would drive him crazy. We couldn't care less about TV, as long as we've got a functional internet.

I'll have to check out Ooma, never heard of it. I actually need a land line phone, along with mobile service.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:28 PM

395 posts, read 463,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

I'll have to check out Ooma, never heard of it. I actually need a land line phone, along with mobile service.
We had Ooma for a short time, but always experienced a second or so of a relay delay when talking with people. That may not sound like a big deal, but what happens is that one is either interrupting the other person or the other person is interrupting us because of the delay. When I called the company, they said they would take care of it. Nothing changed, called them again, nothing changed, and so we got rid of Ooma after having it for about 2 weeks.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
We had Ooma for a short time, but always experienced a second or so of a relay delay when talking with people. That may not sound like a big deal, but what happens is that one is either interrupting the other person or the other person is interrupting us because of the delay. When I called the company, they said they would take care of it. Nothing changed, called them again, nothing changed, and so we got rid of Ooma after having it for about 2 weeks.
Good to know. I hate when that happens.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,359,683 times
Ooma recently added a server on the east coast so that has helped balance their network traffic. Relay delay is a potential problem with any VOIP phone service.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:16 PM

126 posts, read 138,413 times
We are in Hendersonville (Druid Hills area) and we have AT&T. It sucks. Very slow most all the time. I have had a tech out here after the 2nd week and no difference after replacing all the equipment.

I would be pulling my hair out if I worked at home online.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
Morris Broadband (imo) is the best around and the only one in Henderson County. Customer service experience has been excellent, and they are right on the ball answering techie questions. I have always had internet and TV with them, prices are reasonable. (10,000 times better than ComCast at my FL condo.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina