Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 PM

78 posts, read 132,009 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for a home in Waynesville, in a safe area with acreage. We have been to the Asheville area about 3 or 4 times. We need a home soon so we want to buy but we don't have the luxury of renting to figure it all out.

We both are pretty liberal minded. We don't judge and just live and let live. We like to go to the movies, eat out, bowl, hike, fish and play tennis. We would like to meet some like minded couples too. When we visited the area it didn't seem to be a huge town but it was nice and there is a Lowes and Walmart. The downtown areas was like a smaller Hendersonville. Hendersonville has better parking and more restaurants with tables on the walkway but it had its own charm. The drive into Asheville wasn't horrible. We also know it's colder with less rain than Hendersonville but more snow.

Anyway, while I like the town of Hendersonville better there are more houses in our price range in Waynesville and the town seems like the next area for growth. My thinking is that we can get more home for our dollar and maybe there is less congestion from summer visitors and daily traffic.

I did notice that there are many Baptist in the area whom tend to be more conservative in their thinking than mine. Does the area tend to lean more conservative?

Does Waynesville sound like a good fit for us?
Is it a safe area?
How is the traffic and shopping compared to Hendersonville?
Is there good health care in Waynesville?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 05:17 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Waynesville is a nice little town. I don't really see any comparison between Hendersonville and Waynesville. We live north of Canton and we generally go to Waynesville if we need something unless we absolutely have to go to Asheville. I have never felt unsafe in Waynesville.

There is a member here (motordavid) who can answer many of your questions about Waynesville. I do know in my neighborhood there is a wide variety of religious beliefs and a bit of variety in political beliefs, though they do tend to lean to the right. We have a policy of not talking about politics or religion with our neighbors, though we have one or two that try to push us into those discussions.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:12 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
17+ years living in/'above' Waynesville...not pumping it as we are getting 'crowded'.

-"safe area with acreage": there is no 'unsafe area' of Waynesville or surrounding towns in my experience. Drugs are around, but they are to be found in every area of the US. Crime is minor, cops work hard to keep a lid on anything more than 'normal'.

-"acreage": most houses not directly downtown/close in, have some space. That space can be lawn to more mountain like sloped land.

-Downtown and Frog Level are thriving, with few to no empty store fronts. ArtsyFartsy galleries, restaurants, et al. As you noted, a big Walmart on south end and a Lowes on northeast end of town. A few grocery stores, inc a big Ingles, a soon to be open smaller new Ingles and a Publix coming next year. One old resurrected movie theater...excellent regional theater at the Hart. 2 Farmers Mkts, Wed and Saturday.

Several dentists, doctors, et al. Haywood Regional Hospital is decent, Mission is a 35 min drive. Many satellite medical offices in/around Waynesville.

-Yes, many Baptist/Methodist churches; no one that we have met/know cares what if any church one goes/doesn't go to; same for politics, in our experience.

-Two Country Clubs in town, both have social type memberships for tennis, pool/social etc.
-W'ville is smaller than H'ville, fine by us. Parking is never a prob other than crowded event weekends, but still doable.
Safe everywhere...

Is it for you? None of us can know, but we built and moved here from metro NY just post 9-11, (coincidental, as the house was done/livable), and though our home and home site is at 4800 ft elevation 'above' Waynesville and not everyone's lifestyle taste, we love it here.
My 50Cts...more questions, ask away. Our view from our deck:
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
Waynesville NC House Hunting-sunrise-rays-over-pisgah-november-11  

Old 12-10-2017, 09:40 PM

I wanted to say thanks for the posts. They are very helpful and re-assuring. Safety is very important to us. I have lived in places that I didn't feel safe in and I would never do it again. Being young and dumb I lived in the Manhattan YMCA for a few months while I went to college in Manhattan. Very, very scary!! My truck was broken into the first night. Anyway, I live on Long Island and can't wait to move out of the traffic and over built neighborhoods. Here are a few questions:

I know in Oregon there is a certain percentage of people who don't like Californians since they are blamed for higher home prices and congestion. Is there any anti-sentiment towards being from NY. Is the whole Yankee go home thing in the past?

I'm wondering if you find yourself going into Asheville for things you just can't find in Waynesville?

Do you feel that Waynesville is building up on the same magnitude as Hendersonville?

Are there any neighborhoods I should stay clear of because of the builder doing shoddy workmanship?

Any advice for someone like myself looking for property. I know to test for radon and Internet. What about wells, septic, old Pex piping, etc. Do I have to worry about houses moving if they are on a hill. Am I asking for trouble if I leave the house vacant for several months until we do the final move?

Thanks again

Old 12-11-2017, 03:51 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderfjp View Post
I wanted to say thanks for the posts. They are very helpful and re-assuring. Safety is very important to us. I have lived in places that I didn't feel safe in and I would never do it again. Being young and dumb I lived in the Manhattan YMCA for a few months while I went to college in Manhattan. Very, very scary!! My truck was broken into the first night. Anyway, I live on Long Island and can't wait to move out of the traffic and over built neighborhoods. Here are a few questions:

I know in Oregon there is a certain percentage of people who don't like Californians since they are blamed for higher home prices and congestion. Is there any anti-sentiment towards being from NY. Is the whole Yankee go home thing in the past? As soon as you speak some people will recognize that you are not local/maybe from the NE/maybe guess NY area. No one really cares, in my experience, and if one does, the multi generational locals are not confrontational. There is some slight bristling about 'half backs': people that have migrated 'half way back' from FL to western NC, fwiw. Non issue, imo.

I'm wondering if you find yourself going into Asheville for things you just can't find in Waynesville?
Sometimes, yes. My wife more often than I do. USPS, UPS and FedEx all deliver stuff here to us, bought on line, too.

Do you feel that Waynesville is building up on the same magnitude as Hendersonville?
Good and fair question: Imo, W'ville is more crowded than it was 'last year' and certainly more crowded than it was 17 yrs ago when we got here...but so is H'ville, Asheville, I-40 east and west,
and on and on. Will it become 'Hendersonville'? Not in my time on the planet.

Are there any neighborhoods I should stay clear of because of the builder doing shoddy workmanship?
There are so few to no real developments by one builder, so I couldn't list an area or solo builder in a 'development' to avoid. There are builders with better reps than others...I will skip listing opins here.

Any advice for someone like myself looking for property. I know to test for radon and Internet. What about wells, septic, old Pex piping, etc. Do I have to worry about houses moving if they are on a hill. Am I asking for trouble if I leave the house vacant for several months until we do the final move?

Houses with well & septic should have both tested/inspected like one would buying a house anywhere. Our mtn home has Pex and no leaks no problems in 17 yrs. Same goes for our house on a mtn ridge down a slope pushing 55 degs. It hasn't moved an inch in 17 years. SFH Houses sliding down the mtn are as common as UFOs in downtown.

Thanks again
Waynesville or any area of Western NC is not Nirvana. Again, not pumping it or the area,
as it gets more populated/'crowded' by the year, in my experience.
We really enjoy it here, but it is not for everyone.
GL, mD

Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 AM

My husband is from Long Island. His accent is still very, very strong even after 27 years of living in NC. He's never had anyone treat him badly because he's from NY. I think you get back what you give, he's super friendly (too friendly in my opinion, lol, I am a super introvert) and everyone just seems to like him. I have a strong Midwestern accent even though I've lived in NC for 32+ years. I don't have anyone treat me rudely, either. Honestly, this area is a huge melting pot of people from all over. It's different than small, rural towns in the middle of the state. Those towns are filled with lifelong North Carolinians, though even in the small towns, I have always felt welcomed.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderfjp View Post

I know in Oregon there is a certain percentage of people who don't like Californians since they are blamed for higher home prices and congestion. Is there any anti-sentiment towards being from NY. Is the whole Yankee go home thing in the past?

Thanks again

No place is "safe" but Waynesville is pretty close. We moved here a year and half ago from Texas and LOVE it!! We do go to Asheville often but don't mind, we come on the Parkway and it's worth it. Most people here are friendly and will welcome you. Just don't get too high on a mountain, when it snows you won't be able to get down. Our house was vacant for 5 months after we bought it and it was fine. Good luck!!! Do your research.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No place is "safe" but Waynesville is pretty close. We moved here a year and half ago from Texas and LOVE it!! We do go to Asheville often but don't mind, we come on the Parkway and it's worth it. Most people here are friendly and will welcome you. Just don't get too high on a mountain, when it snows you won't be able to get down. Our house was vacant for 5 months after we bought it and it was fine. Good luck!!! Do your research.
Sometimes that's not a bad thing!

Actually, my husband has to drive to Raleigh today, so he's going to venture down our mountain for the first time since Friday. If he didn't have to go there, we just would have hunkered in for a couple of more days. I just finished walking my younger dogs, I'll take the older ones when the snow and ice has melted a bit more. The roads were not really safe for walking yet.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Hi,

Sounds wonderful. I lived outside Dallas Texas about 30 years ago and it was very different then what you are describing. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
My husband is from Long Island. His accent is still very, very strong even after 27 years of living in NC. He's never had anyone treat him badly because he's from NY. I think you get back what you give, he's super friendly (too friendly in my opinion, lol, I am a super introvert) and everyone just seems to like him. I have a strong Midwestern accent even though I've lived in NC for 32+ years. I don't have anyone treat me rudely, either. Honestly, this area is a huge melting pot of people from all over. It's different than small, rural towns in the middle of the state. Those towns are filled with lifelong North Carolinians, though even in the small towns, I have always felt welcomed.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 AM

487 posts, read 467,700 times
We've lived in Sylva, Waynesville, Canton and Asheville. Worked in Dallas for 17 years and making Hendersonville area home because it's convenient to Asheville and Greenville as we need to be closer to an airport for travel for work. Waynesville has more part-timers living there from what I remember. From what you describe Laurel Park area or Brevard might be a good fit.

Message me if you have any specific questions. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina