Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2024, 06:58 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Night before last, it was 9 degrees here near Hendersonville. That was the coldest it's been here so far this year. It's supposed to be in the 60s this week for 3 days. We've only had a few flurries so far and no snow last year. I hope we get some this year. I know areas northeast of here have had some.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:03 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
I think I posted this elsewhere, but this thread is appropriate for another:

A few days ago from Beech Mt Cabin:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 07:13 AM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
We had a bit of snow in Weaverville Tuesday. There was enough to cover the ground for a bit, but that was about it. By Friday, more snow fell and made the gravel road hard to get around on.

I was in downtown Asheville Tuesday - I don't think there was any snow on the ground then.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:33 AM

642 posts, read 669,047 times
As a gardener (ornamental not vegies) I miss the protective snow cover for plants that was the norm in most of my midwest years although one of the reasons we moved here was milder winters. There's no pleasing me! More recently there have been snowless midwest winters as well although they are getting abundant snow this year. Anywhere you go it seems normal isn't normal.

On one of our first visits to WNC back in 2010 we got off the plane at AVL to 17 degrees in Feb. It gets cold here but we've also had Thanksgiving on the porch at 70 degrees. The up and down here in short time spans is what I find unusual but maybe those changes are happening in other places too.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:37 AM

In 25 + years of visiting and owning in WNC, the cold and snow are not nearly as cold or snowy as the previous couple of decades.

For years, I spend a couple of hours whenever we left our mt cabin winterizing to be certain the weather conditions did not cause issues while we were absent.
I have not winterized once since 2022, It's cheaper and easier to run the Elec/propane/kerosene heat during those rare occurrences where we needed it for prolonged cold spells. (plus, we used the place much more over the last couple of winters.)

Old 01-22-2024, 03:32 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Our mountain neighbors report v cold past couple of days: below zero overnight and ~20s daytime, with our v steep, curvy single mtn road impassable in stretches even after our salt/plow person did their best. Will be passable later today and more this week.

Our community had several 'no go' days last winter and two periods so far this winter. We all know how to drive it, but even with snow tires, ice and refrozen snow cover precludes it, our neighbors report.

Not a problem for any of the full time neighbors, who are all 'prepared' for stretches of house bound, other than an ambulance would have little to no chance to get 'up' to someone's house for those days...

We did four winters full time, early 2000s, and I agree with getatag that winters were more severe 'then', in general.

4,500 ft to mile high elevation living has its features, benefits and allure, but is not for everyone.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:03 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
My mom summed it up with "I used to pack my summer clothes away for the winter. Now, I don't."

Old 02-08-2024, 05:37 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
February and still no snow in Hickory!

Old 02-08-2024, 06:06 PM

Don't count it out yet hickoryfan....... there's still another month of potential left in them thar' hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina