Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 08:49 AM

307 posts, read 224,044 times

Advertisements

I worked in the NY/NJ area for decades. Loved the commute for the most part and took the subways, etc. I didn't have time to get allergy shots due to my long hours. But my allergies were nasty.

We moved to Asheville and I was knocked off my feet constantly. I had time for allergy shots, though. I got them for five years. Weird stuff was happening (there not in NY/NJ). My nose dripped like a faucet prior (like a day) before it rained. After it rained for a day or so, my faucet continued. I joked about using corks to stop it.
The day before raining, the barometer drops (so junk in the air is pushed down).

In NY we dealt with sufficient pollution and Indian Head Power Plant and leaked periodically and we were pretty much surrounded by superfund sites. Our water was contaminated back then by freon. In Asheville, there was the coal plant for electricity. We moved back north and within a short period of time, my nose didn't drip like a faucet before rain. Seasonal stuff gets to me but it's not bad and based on comparisons of what pollen's in the air (and how much), one tree type was the only difference.

That leaves one option: the coal plumes in the south Asheville area. It's amazing. I can't say I miss my "psychic" nose but I'm really glad that I'm not supporting tissue stocks anymore.

This is another beware ... If you have bad allergies and they get worse or remain the same, who knows but I'm convinced the coal plumes (@5 miles from my house in south Asheville and what ... about @10-15 from our rental in north Asheville). The allergist just said after it rains, stuff gets kicked up in the air and shots won't solve everything. I agree completely but I'm no longer suffering (it affected my life) from allergies before or after it rains and only fairly mildly the rest of the time.

We're also living in a high-allergy state. So, again, I don't need a doctor to tell me what the difference is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM

371 posts, read 287,697 times
Wow that is interesting. So glad you moved!

We moved 6 months ago. It's Heaven!! I don't think I know what it's like to have an allergy anymore.

I work almost 2 hrs away. Waking up now to a stuffed up nose. Kept the window open all night for colder air during slumber.

One good thing when your allergies are under control, you learn when you have food allergies. Which I still do but can attribute them to Hostess Zingers or whatever. Didn't realize I had that many food allergies until we moved.

Congrats on your move. Interesting thread.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,653 times
So glad you left. Sounds like you lived in a terrible area of Asheville. So glad you aren’t being plagued by your allergies, terrible HOA , neighbor dogs, traffic, unfriendly neighbors, bad drainage, etc., rising prices.

Lol not my experience at all but every one is different. Why don’t you move along, let it go, move on with your life and enjoy your new place instead of starting so many negative posts. It is getting very old.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 AM

371 posts, read 287,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
So glad you left. Sounds like you lived in a terrible area of Asheville. So glad you aren’t being plagued by your allergies, terrible HOA , neighbor dogs, traffic, unfriendly neighbors, bad drainage, etc., rising prices.

Lol not my experience at all but every one is different. Why don’t you move along, let it go, move on with your life and enjoy your new place instead of starting so many negative posts. It is getting very old.
The reason you can place someone on ignore is to not be moaning about their posts. Try it. Works great for me I like this thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
I worked in the NY/NJ area for decades. Loved the commute for the most part and took the subways, etc. I didn't have time to get allergy shots due to my long hours. But my allergies were nasty.

We moved to Asheville and I was knocked off my feet constantly. I had time for allergy shots, though. I got them for five years. Weird stuff was happening (there not in NY/NJ). My nose dripped like a faucet prior (like a day) before it rained. After it rained for a day or so, my faucet continued. I joked about using corks to stop it.
The day before raining, the barometer drops (so junk in the air is pushed down).

In NY we dealt with sufficient pollution and Indian Head Power Plant and leaked periodically and we were pretty much surrounded by superfund sites. Our water was contaminated back then by freon. In Asheville, there was the coal plant for electricity. We moved back north and within a short period of time, my nose didn't drip like a faucet before rain. Seasonal stuff gets to me but it's not bad and based on comparisons of what pollen's in the air (and how much), one tree type was the only difference.

That leaves one option: the coal plumes in the south Asheville area. It's amazing. I can't say I miss my "psychic" nose but I'm really glad that I'm not supporting tissue stocks anymore.

This is another beware ... If you have bad allergies and they get worse or remain the same, who knows but I'm convinced the coal plumes (@5 miles from my house in south Asheville and what ... about @10-15 from our rental in north Asheville). The allergist just said after it rains, stuff gets kicked up in the air and shots won't solve everything. I agree completely but I'm no longer suffering (it affected my life) from allergies before or after it rains and only fairly mildly the rest of the time.

We're also living in a high-allergy state. So, again, I don't need a doctor to tell me what the difference is.

Coal plumes...? Please explain...

Old 05-24-2018, 10:39 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
I seriously doubt this. You just moved from one of the top areas in the county for allergens. It has nothing to do with coal.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I seriously doubt this. You just moved from one of the top areas in the county for allergens. It has nothing to do with coal.
That was my question...

Old 05-24-2018, 03:43 PM

27 posts, read 54,596 times
I lived across from the coal ash in Biltmore Park Town Square. My view was the plume of ash and I hated it. I was told it used to be black but they found a way to dye it white.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindmywayhome View Post
I lived across from the coal ash in Biltmore Park Town Square. My view was the plume of ash and I hated it. I was told it used to be black but they found a way to dye it white.
What is the coal ash from..?

Old 05-24-2018, 04:34 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindmywayhome View Post

The EPA required changes to coal ash plants to make them more environmentally friendly several years ago, though many of those regulations have started to be reversed during this administration. They didn't dye the smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina