Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:16 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was going to mention Etowah or even Rosman if you can't get into Brevard. The reason Etowah is nice is because you are halfway in between Brevard and Hendersonville. The area is very pretty as well. When I was helping my friends look for a place, we visited Pisgah Forest. I remember it being off a highway, in the middle of nowhere, with many trailers. There may be nice areas but I am not sure. They wanted to live in Brevard but couldn't find anything at the time and almost went up on the mountain to Balsam Grove but landed in Franklin.
Thanks Beckycat. Lots for us to think about now that we are back in the NE. We apparently brought the warm temps with us because it's been in the 90s here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I found Rosman to be a bit depressing and isolated. But I've only just driven through.
I agree with you a bit, although we certainly didn't do a lot of driving around there. We found a house on realtor.com though and found the address where it was located, in Rosman. Some "Gap Rd" (of which there are many. It was kind of off the main drag and up a little hill but there were several houses up there, on either side of the road, and although I actually really liked the house - it was in our price range - we could actually hear people talking at another house adjacent to it and we didn't like that. We're not unfriendly, but we do like our quiet. I didn't really see anything out there, either.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:27 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
I guess I should have said the Rosman area. I didn't really mean for you to move right into Rosman proper. But it's a big area that surrounds it with many neighborhoods, some more private than others. You could also do a search on Realtor.com for all of Transylvania County and then narrow it down from there.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Of course �� we’ll be doing deeper dives to the extent we can from this distance. What do you think about contacting Chambers of Commerce for relocation info? I received a very nice magazine from the state and it highlighted different towns, all over the state, and even gave info on the tax situation. Good info.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
^^^ Can't recall, have you done any research or looking around Hendersonville or Etowah ? If you can do w/o acreage, you will have much better options. The only reputable and dependable website for home search is www.Realtor.com Put in your criteria (don't narrow it down too much, leave some 'room') and you will get a good idea of what is in your price range as well as wants and needs.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Can't recall, have you done any research or looking around Hendersonville or Etowah ? If you can do w/o acreage, you will have much better options. The only reputable and dependable website for home search is www.Realtor.com Put in your criteria (don't narrow it down too much, leave some 'room') and you will get a good idea of what is in your price range as well as wants and needs.
We are discussing whether or not we really need acreage or if we want/could live in a 'regular' neighborhood. We are accustomed to real quiet and being off by ourselves at our current location, but all options are really on the table at this point.
Didn't really check out Etowah (but will) and we've been to Hendersonville and thought it might also be a little too crowded for us. Are we that picky? Also my first husband might live in the area (no lie!) and though there is no animosity there, what if I run in to him? hahahahah He might live in Bat Cave. I'm not sure.
BTW, got your DM and my husband said the same thing after our quick drive through. First impressions.
Thanks QC.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:46 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
^^^ Pamj: I also should have mentioned to look in Mills River, well located, some nice properties. Etowah has some very nice subdivisions and is also well located. On both, easy to get to surrounding towns, without the Asheville traffic craziness. Do some chair-surfing on the Realtor.com website. Sorry to say though, acreage may not happen. Also, if I didn't give you the links to the local papers, here you go:

Asheville: www.citizen-times.com

H'ville etc. www.blueridgenow.com

Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
Yep, that was it. The Hub was right at the end of that road. Bike shop with a bar in it!!! and a food and coffee truck. Fantastic tacos. Someone else here in commenting that there is an unincorporated area called Pisgah Forest, I'm going to clarify some details, because there were houses in the forest. Perhaps that is just because the town extends in to the forest before you get to the boundary line of the actual national forest. Beautiful area.

if you're hitting the PNF from the "town" of Pisgah Forest(ie, going up 276) there are no homes up through there.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:46 PM

I could have been confused �� it’s not unheard of! ��

Old 07-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Pamj: I also should have mentioned to look in Mills River, well located, some nice properties. Etowah has some very nice subdivisions and is also well located. On both, easy to get to surrounding towns, without the Asheville traffic craziness. Do some chair-surfing on the Realtor.com website. Sorry to say though, acreage may not happen. Also, if I didn't give you the links to the local papers, here you go:

Asheville: www.citizen-times.com

H'ville etc. www.blueridgenow.com
Thanks again QC! Hope you had a nice holiday. I’ll check out the news links! I think you’re right about acreage but I have rcvd listings for a few properties with .5 to 1 acre and with trees all around they look like they might feel secluded. Will also check Etowah and Mills River. So many places, so little time 🙂
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina