Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times

Advertisements

Hope the information helps you … welcome back to 'hunt' another day, or week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:37 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,101 times
I apologize for butting in from Northern California.

In our "mountain town", Paradise, CA, at an elevation of 1700-2000 feet we prepare our cars in November, for winter driving, by checking the wiper blades.
I wonder what are you guys driving in the Brevard-Waynesville-Hendersonville area.

Front wheel drive, all-wheel drive, trucks with chains?
I did live in Europe and drove on ice and snow, but it was a long, long time ago and I'm a much worse driver now, in my seventies.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 PM

329 posts, read 250,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I did live in Europe and drove on ice and snow, but it was a long, long time ago and I'm a much worse driver now, in my seventies.

I usually used 4WD with All Terrain (not all season), winter-rated tires. If we got more than a foot I used chains on rear wheels only.

If I don't REALLY have to go out, I stay home.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
Quote:
I apologize for butting in from Northern California.

In our "mountain town", Paradise, CA, at an elevation of 1700-2000 feet we prepare our cars in November, for winter driving, by checking the wiper blades.
I wonder what are you guys driving in the Brevard-Waynesville-Hendersonville area.

It really depends on the elevation and terrain where you will be. We live at 4400 feet on a gravel/dirt road. It's highly suggested that you drive at least an AWD, not only for making it up and down the mountain, but because the FWD and RWD vehicles cause our roads to become washboarded due to spinning tires.

We both drive AWD vehicles, my husband's is a Subaru Forester. It does an admirable job even in the winter when our roads are icy. We used chains once so far and that was when we got 14 inches in early December last winter. We had to drive down during the snow to meet with a client and by the time we got back, there was over 10 inches of snow. I don't know that we would have made it all the way up without the chains (another neighbor did not in their Forester, they almost did, then started spinning in circles and ended up facing back down the mountain and had to leave their vehicle there until the next day when we loaned them our chains).

Down around 2500 feet the roads weren't that bad and the DOT does a good job of plowing and treating the roads around here, in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
AWD for me too at 3500FT...most everyone has that type of vehicle. My Nissan Murano has driven in 16 in once, 10 in several times, although not far. It has big Michelin tires.

I too stay home usually...

Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,971 times
Subaru WRX wagon with a winter wheel/tire setup. Put them on right before it snows, take them off when it melts. Never been stuck. Ive got an Outback with A/S tires that does pretty decent in snow, but nothing compared to the WRX with snow tires. Im not sure why more people dont go with an actual snow tire instead of an AS on pretty much any vehicle for winter driving. They are far superior to any AS or MS.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,101 times
Thanks for everyone with the kind advice.
I did hear that special winter tires make a huge improvement with their different compound.
In Germany I worked for a car dealer and some of the used cars had studs in their tires. On ice and snow they were great, but on the dry roads they became somewhat annoying.
In our town Subarus are very popular, even though we only had two days of snow - and that is the last three winters combined.

Wcu25rs: can you explain what AS or MS stands for? And what is your favorite brand of tire? Thanks in advance !

Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Unless you are going to live or drive at high elevations, over 3000', where there can be snow and ice, don't waste your money on special tires.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Wcu25rs: can you explain what AS or MS stands for? And what is your favorite brand of tire? Thanks in advance !
All Seasons/Mud and Snow. Dont really have a favorite brand of snows, but the snows I have now I got a killer deal on Craigslist. They are Dunlop Wintersport M3's and Ive been really happy with them. Ive had them for about 4 winters now.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Unless you are going to live or drive at high elevations, over 3000', where there can be snow and ice, don't waste your money on special tires.

ummm you dont have to live over 3000' to experience ice and snow. Also, snows are not a waste of money, at all and provide far superior traction and stability, especially braking, and that may be the most important aspect of snowy/icy driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina