Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 05:28 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times

Advertisements

Here's another good one, a message which arrived in my inbox this morning at 6:41 AM:

"Due to mechanical issues W4 will not run at 6:30am"

Thanks, ART. That's a little late to send the notice. I think people will have figured that out by then.

Typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:49 AM

September 10, 2018:

"E1 on the half will not run until further notice"

Yessirree folks, reliable transport is NOT important in this town.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM

395 posts, read 462,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
September 10, 2018:

"E1 on the half will not run until further notice"

Yessirree folks, reliable transport is NOT important in this town.

It must be incredibly frustrating to have to rely on such an unreliable system. It seems the planners and organizers of Asheville are more concerned about getting as many tourists as possible to the town and much less on focusing on putting tax revenue to taking care of the people living there. The priorities seem rather skewed. Shame on them! I hope you see positive changes soon. Perhaps you should also point all this out to the Asheville newspapers. A good journalist could turn it into an interesting article being Asheville is supposed to be a progressive town and all... It's not all that progressive to have an unreliable public transit system since it doesn't exactly encourage one to leave the car at home. I hope the system straightens up for you, and all those that rely on it!

Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
It's not all that progressive to have an unreliable public transit system since it doesn't exactly encourage one to leave the car at home.
Exactly. With a bus system this unreliable, employers are reluctant to hire people who rely on the bus system.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:28 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
It must be incredibly frustrating to have to rely on such an unreliable system. It seems the planners and organizers of Asheville are more concerned about getting as many tourists as possible to the town and much less on focusing on putting tax revenue to taking care of the people living there. The priorities seem rather skewed. Shame on them! I hope you see positive changes soon. Perhaps you should also point all this out to the Asheville newspapers. A good journalist could turn it into an interesting article being Asheville is supposed to be a progressive town and all... It's not all that progressive to have an unreliable public transit system since it doesn't exactly encourage one to leave the car at home. I hope the system straightens up for you, and all those that rely on it!
It could be that the issues aren't as big as this thread suggests they are.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
It could be that the issues aren't as big as this thread suggests they are.
Oh? Some poor old bastard was walking around today needing a few more coins because the bus driver "needed to see his medicaid card" to prove he was a senior citizen to get a senior discount. The guy didn't have it with him. He was grey as George Washington.

Because he didn't have it on him, and didn't have enough coins, he had to walk.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:25 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,213 times
Quote:
Oh? Some poor old bastard was walking around today needing a few more coins because the bus driver "needed to see his medicaid card" to prove he was a senior citizen to get a senior discount. The guy didn't have it with him. He was grey as George Washington.

Because he didn't have it on him, and didn't have enough coins, he had to walk.
Why didn’t you help him?

Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Why didn’t you help him?
I also did not have loose change on me at the time.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:02 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
I also did not have loose change on me at the time.

How much money is the bus fare? Are 'transfers' available? Are there bus shelters?

Old 09-15-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

How much money is the bus fare? Are 'transfers' available? Are there bus shelters?
The (non-discounted) fare is $1.00. Discounted fares are $0.50, for things like senior citizens and disabilities.

There are other fare options, such as monthly passes, that might make your travel cheaper in the long run, depending on how much you travel:

Asheville, NC - Fares & Passes

Transfers are available when you pay your first fare. Just ask when you board your first bus, and you'll get a little scrap of paper. It will be valid for 90 minutes. Hand this off to the next bus.

There are some bus shelters at some of the busier bus stops. The quality of these shelters varies radically depending on their age and the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina