Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 484 times

Advertisements

Hello to all forum members. I recently built a lakefront home on one of the several lakes on the Catawba River basin. Since starting the building process, I’ve had several encounters with the State of NC in getting approval and permits for shoreline stabilization, removal of trees within the 50 ft buffer, and the handling of storm water runoff from my property. I’m looking for assistance from anyone that has had experience with working with the State in these areas. They are now requesting that I spend a considerable amount of money to engineer and install a “level spreader” to handle runoff from my roof and driveway areas. My lot has a considerable slope and options are limited due to space and lot slope.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Has anyone actually been fined for not following the state guidelines for managing the 50 ft lakefront buffer? Any help and experience would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 05:37 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
You need an experienced professional engineer to help you, not internet opinions.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
My experience with building any house would be that you should have known what you were getting into before building. All your “I”s dotted and “t”s crossed so to speak. This should have included surveys that would have informed you of zoning requirements. Why weren’t plans submitted before hand? I guess you can start with the licensed contractor and structural engineer? Somewhere along the way the plans had to be approved by the county for its location and someone must have told you what was needed? I mean at best you can maybe blame your contractor but theres no way around runoff laws especially when building along bodies of water. In fact there are federal storm water management rules that have to be followed even in the most podunk areas of N.C.

“Will the state actually fine me?” I’m sorry, are you serious right now? ........

Old 12-15-2019, 09:13 PM

146 posts, read 139,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RES001 View Post

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Has anyone actually been fined for not following the state guidelines for managing the 50 ft lakefront buffer? Any help and experience would be greatly appreciated.
You’re on their radar now, and they are going to check to make sure that you’ve complied with the regulations and properly get your permits signed off. Most counties take that seriously and they should. The proper treatment of the waterways, particularly the Catawba River Basin that has been so abused over the past century, should remain a high priority.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:01 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
It also depends on the county.
We have a house right on the New River in Ashe County.
There have been some recent building.septic/well approvals that should Never Ever have been approved.
There had to have been some greasy palms involved.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:04 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
You need an experienced professional engineer to help you, not internet opinions.
Of course to your first statement.

But what is wrong with asking people who might have had similar experiences ?
That's what this forum is all about.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:40 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Of course to your first statement.

But what is wrong with asking people who might have had similar experiences ?
That's what this forum is all about.
IMO, the issues involved in this situation are too substantial and important (i.e. there are legal and financial ramifications) to rely on random, anonymous people who may or may not know what they're talking about, or even be telling the truth. Not to mention the fact that the specifics of each individual situation can be very different, and therefore precludes the value of generalities.

"Should I move to Asheville?" is vastly different question than "Will the state fine me for failing to properly handle my stormwater runoff?". The first question is what this site is properly designed for, the second one is not. YMMV.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 12-18-2019 at 04:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: