Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 02:43 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,355,256 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I'm not sure it says much, but I thought others might like to hear it: https://www.bpr.org/term/real-estate#stream/0

One comment that I did find interesting was the possibility that NYC residents might be moving out of the city (like they did after 9/11; but this isn't really new information I guess). I bet Asheville might be an attractive choice to them.

PS: I'm not in Buncombe, and I'm not in Real Estate. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 03:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 6,093,133 times
Good find, thanks!

This reinforces what I heard from a real estate friend in WNC area. He claims out of state people from bigger metropolitan areas are buying homes from Boone to Asheville right now. Some are taking early retirement because of the Covid pandemic, others are forced to work from home so they figured they may as well buy their retirement home early and finish their work careers from WNC.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:06 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,337,810 times
Realtors are trying to sell houses. They usually put a positive spin on things. With that in mind, there will probably be some who move into the area from larger metro areas, but that's been happening for years.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:51 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,634,472 times
^ + Another, what Lizap wrote...

Old 05-05-2020, 07:28 PM

66 posts, read 58,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Good find, thanks!

This reinforces what I heard from a real estate friend in WNC area. He claims out of state people from bigger metropolitan areas are buying homes from Boone to Asheville right now. Some are taking early retirement because of the Covid pandemic, others are forced to work from home so they figured they may as well buy their retirement home early and finish their work careers from WNC.
Hopefully they don't bring the virus with them. I've read some counties have guidelines for out of state arrivals to self quarantine for 14 days.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:25 AM

5,466 posts, read 6,093,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911michael View Post
Hopefully they don't bring the virus with them. I've read some counties have guidelines for out of state arrivals to self quarantine for 14 days.
Yes, here in Avery Co. we have a 14 day self quarantine in place.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:26 AM

68 posts, read 149,610 times
I'm certainly no expert but I tend to agree with Lizap and MD. It reminds me of all the realtors in '07 who were touting the strong Real Estate market even as signs pointed to trouble ahead.

I find it hard to believe the the RE market isn't going to take hard hit, just like the rest of the economy. In the last several weeks alone, 30 million Americans have filed for unemployment, 1 million in North Carolina alone. That represents 20% of N.C.'s workforce. I've also heard reporting that some banks are beginning to tighten up mortgage requirements- 20% minimum down and 700+ credit scores because they don't want to get stuck with defaulting loans similar to 2008.

Again, I'm not an expert but one would assume that the virus will have a significant impact on the RE countrywide, not just in North Carolina.

Additional reading for those interested:

https://www.journalnow.com/business/...2e918eec7.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alyyale.../#54f2e3914f2a

Old 05-06-2020, 08:25 AM

12,634 posts, read 32,120,404 times
Thanks for posting the video. I am following the market, like I always do. Like others, I am unsure how this is going to pan out. I feel that with so many people unemployed and the economic effects of the virus, it's going to cause prices to drop. We may not be seeing much change now but in a few months, when all this really hits, I think there will be more change. I'd be surprised if prices didn't drop given the circumstances. With that being said, it's going to take time for the economy to recover and that will happen with time like it always does.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:55 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,771,548 times
I’m on the ground looking in the 600-800k range in North Asheville. The pickings are very slim now. Not much inventory at all.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:23 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,962,119 times
A home in our neighborhood just got a contract for more than asking price and was only listed for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina