Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 08:17 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,584 times

Advertisements

Given CV19 and that we will be in Asheville for 2 days and 1 night this weekend and are first time visitors, asking for local advice.

As we are driving a while to get there, we prefer to just be in a downton place where we can walk around either directly from the hotel, or from a very short car drive. We don't want to be doing a lot of driving once there and when time and CV19 permits, plan to spend a longer time there.

This is not a sightseeing trip or vacation, but we just want to make the most of our time while there for other obligations.

Would be nice to be close to restaurants and bars which, if any, have outdoor service. Plus any other attractions or sights to see while casually walking around town. I have been watching Visit Asheville YouTube videos but these don't tell the current status of downtown.

Apologies for the cross post from another thread but it was to a smaller audience and time is getting short as we will be there Saturday. In the meantime we have backup plans which we can change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 AM

494 posts, read 816,933 times
I'm not a local but have stayed in three downtown hotels. I like the Renaissance Asheville the best of the three. It is easy to walk around downtown. It is an older hotel but has been clean the two times I've stayed there. Parking used to be free but they were charging for it when I was there in February. I'm not sure how it is with the COVID restrictions.

There are some newer hotels and some smaller boutique hotels too.

Some restaurants have reopened to dine in but most seem to be staying with takeout.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:13 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,662,664 times
I like the Aloft hotel.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:39 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,621,811 times
I assume you have Googled your hotel search...
if not, here is Goog Maps link with many to choose from:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Down...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I suspect the prices shown may be out of date/very negotiable.

We live 35 miles west of Asheville, so I have never 'stayed overnight' there/cannot give a rec'd.

Good luck on your hunt/decision.

Fwiw, we have stayed in a couple hotels since CV19 emerged and other than using our own regime of sanitizing, being careful and using common sense, we had no problems at the two Marriott joints we had to stop at, in the past month.
GL, mD

Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,317,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I like the Aloft hotel.
We like the Aloft as well. Great views from the rooftop deck.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:12 AM

5,461 posts, read 6,067,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
I'm not a local but have stayed in three downtown hotels. I like the Renaissance Asheville the best of the three. It is easy to walk around downtown. It is an older hotel but has been clean the two times I've stayed there. Parking used to be free but they were charging for it when I was there in February. I'm not sure how it is with the COVID restrictions.

There are some newer hotels and some smaller boutique hotels too.

Some restaurants have reopened to dine in but most seem to be staying with takeout.
I second the Renaissance, up until five or six years ago I used to stay there 2 or 3 times a year. Never had a bad experience, easy walking distance to everything downtown yet still quiet. Of course, things can change in a few years.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:14 AM

355 posts, read 226,428 times
> bars

That depends on the pandemic and the governor.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:47 AM

789 posts, read 787,507 times
Not a great time to visiting other town or city's . But how about google map - Asheville motels/hotels and find most all of them and many local places to visit , bars brew houses included assuming there open but bring plenty of mask and gloves !

Right click the motel go to each site for info .

https://www.google.com/maps/search/a.../data=!3m1!4b1

Old 06-19-2020, 09:00 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
TripAdvisor has pretty good current reviews. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...na-Hotels.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: