Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 08:06 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,146,426 times

Advertisements

I am curious if people on this board are willing to assist in finding work for a planner.

I currently live and work in Florida as a transportation planner, but I would like to move to the area.

Anyone have leads on environmental/transportation planning work in the Asheville area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 08:35 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I am curious if people on this board are willing to assist in finding work for a planner.

I currently live and work in Florida as a transportation planner, but I would like to move to the area.

Anyone have leads on environmental/transportation planning work in the Asheville area?

Thanks
I can't help you, but I wish more of your planning expertise was being put to use in the Asheville area. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:20 AM

355 posts, read 226,570 times
Asheville is very pro-green, pro-tree, and pro-environment. Now whether there is actually money there is another story.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 PM

Yes I have visited Asheville many times. I am familiar with the area, just not seeing any jobs pop up in my field after searching.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:01 PM

902 posts, read 809,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
Asheville is very pro-green, pro-tree, and pro-environment. Now whether there is actually money there is another story.
Quite the opposite in fact. Folks in AVL like to play the part of being the above, but in reality never sufficiently support the businesses that come there and start green movements within the community.

More "bumper sticker and social media activists" in the AVL and surrounding communities versus true forward thinkers, and we know this from personal experience of having a business there along these lines.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 07-09-2020 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yes I have visited Asheville many times. I am familiar with the area, just not seeing any jobs pop up in my field after searching.
Do yourself a favor and stop digging for something that's just not there. AVL is a great place to visit, but unless you have a trust fund fall back making a respectable living there is going to be tough.

There's dozens of posts here saying the same thing, so maybe take them for being the norm versus being a once off. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:15 AM

That’s a pretty negative way to go through life. I choose to be optimistic, and you never know when someone reading could know of an opening.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
That’s a pretty negative way to go through life. I choose to be optimistic, and you never know when someone reading could know of an opening.
Not negative at all, just being realistic. Optimism is good if the options are present, which they aren't (even in your own words). Sorry if that reality comes off as negative, but being told what you don't want to hear can sometimes be a hard pill to swallow, and directing comments at people doesn't change anything or come off as being overly positive.

Good luck either way.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 07-10-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 11:59 AM

6,634 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
Ignore the Asheville basher. Most people love it here.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Ignore the Asheville basher. Most people love it here.
Where's here? You don't live in Asheville ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina