Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:11 AM

137 posts, read 397,431 times

Advertisements

I've searched the Western North Carolina Forum and found that there is tennis available in Asheville.

But I prefer to find a group that meets regularly for doubles at a public court in the area South of Asheville including from Flat Rock to Fletcher, as I already live in the mountains 10 miles East of Hendersonville. If you have advice, I would appreciate hearing from you but I already read about Asheville proper.

I'm not picky about the level of play or looking for USTA events or even ladders to join. Just tennis for exercise, camaraderie and laughs. I am in my 70's and used to play at a 2.5 level until 5 years ago when I stopped playing.

You don't have to be a player. If you have an acquaintance who plays tennis in my area, please let me know how to contact them, or message me for my phone #.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 04:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,578,175 times
Haven't you heard??? PICKLEBALL is the new tennis !!! I've switched and won't likely look back!
(and that's after playing tennis at a high level and teaching tennis for 25 years!!!)

Seriously, good luck with your quest; but maybe give Pickleball a try. There's a reason it's the fastest-growing participation sport in North America. And we "older" tennis players have a fast entree into the game with our well-honed skills

Old 07-11-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Haven't you heard??? PICKLEBALL is the new tennis !!! I've switched and won't likely look back!
(and that's after playing tennis at a high level and teaching tennis for 25 years!!!)

Seriously, good luck with your quest; but maybe give Pickleball a try. There's a reason it's the fastest-growing participation sport in North America. And we "older" tennis players have a fast entree into the game with our well-honed skills

Thanks. Actually you don't have an uphill battle selling me on a slightly different sport. A few conversations with pickleball experienced people in the last 2-3 years already piqued my interest, but I haven't moved toward either game again until I decided today.

So take the same question but replace tennis with pickleball. Where is it played in Hendersonville? I'll keep open to either sport until something materializes.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
Thanks. Actually you don't have an uphill battle selling me on a slightly different sport. A few conversations with pickleball experienced people in the last 2-3 years already piqued my interest, but I haven't moved toward either game again until I decided today.

So take the same question but replace tennis with pickleball. Where is it played in Hendersonville? I'll keep open to either sport until something materializes.

The USAPA maintains a "where to play" site that should guide you toward courts in the area. Lots of changes with this covid crisis, so be sure to check for updates. Look for churches, Ys, other gyms to offer indoor play(much better on my knees, YMMV). One cool thing about Pickleball vs tennis is the court size. Three Pball courts can fit onto ONE pro basketball floor easy peasy.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:20 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,545,124 times
Quote:
The USAPA maintains a "where to play" site that should guide you toward courts in the area. Lots of changes with this covid crisis, so be sure to check for updates. Look for churches, Ys, other gyms to offer indoor play(much better on my knees, YMMV). One cool thing about Pickleball vs tennis is the court size. Three Pball courts can fit onto ONE pro basketball floor easy peasy.
Indoor play is probably not available anywhere in NC until Phase III.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Got it. Thanks. Pages on "Places 2 Play" on the USAPA site. Very helpful.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Indoor play is probably not available anywhere in NC until Phase III.

Wow...didn't know that! We are limiting the number of players(just a couple of extras to fill in); but, otherwise, four to a court is allowed in a number of places.

I reckon outdoors is the way to go! Just practice distancing and watch where your hands go.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:37 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,545,124 times
Quote:
Wow...didn't know that! We are limiting the number of players(just a couple of extras to fill in); but, otherwise, four to a court is allowed in a number of places.

I reckon outdoors is the way to go! Just practice distancing and watch where your hands go.
In NC, gyms and Y's aren't open for indoor workouts, group classes, etc. except for limited restrictions such as physical rehab under doctor's orders, etc. The tennis club in Boone where my hubby is a member has had their outdoor courts open, but not their weight room or indoor courts. That's according to restrictions in the Governor's Phase II.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:38 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,355,039 times
Quote:

In TEXAS??!! That's where you are, yes? It's one of the hottest covid spots on Earth right now.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
In TEXAS??!! That's where you are, yes? It's one of the hottest covid spots on Earth right now.

Relevance? Hot? As I read it, no matter how many people are recorded as having (PCR tests), or having had (from antibody tests) COVID-19, Texas seems to be in the bottom 17 states in terms of deaths from the virus. Here's today's statistics:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

They mist be doing something right there. It looks like their death rate from COVID-19 is less than 1/10 of the rate in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts and less than 1/5 the death rate in another 8 high ranking states including Michigan and Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina