Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 08:33 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

I live in Raleigh and I've thoroughly explored the Boone/Blowing Rock area but haven't really been out to the areas west of Asheville so I figured the end of this year might be a good time to explore.

I put together 2 potential long weekend trips that I could do:
-Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Clingmans Dome/Alum Cove Trail/Laurel Falls/Cades Cove etc..
-State Parks/Forests between Highlands and Hendersonville - Dry Falls, Gorges State Park, High Falls/Triple Falls, Looking Glass Falls (maybe some of the state parks in SC along the border)

I'll be in the area this weekend, as well as planning a trip the last weekend of October. Which itinerary would you do this weekend and which itinerary would you do in October once the leaves are changing? Any other things I should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 09:12 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I live in Raleigh and I've thoroughly explored the Boone/Blowing Rock area but haven't really been out to the areas west of Asheville so I figured the end of this year might be a good time to explore.

I put together 2 potential long weekend trips that I could do:
-Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Clingmans Dome/Alum Cove Trail/Laurel Falls/Cades Cove etc..
-State Parks/Forests between Highlands and Hendersonville - Dry Falls, Gorges State Park, High Falls/Triple Falls, Looking Glass Falls (maybe some of the state parks in SC along the border)

I'll be in the area this weekend, as well as planning a trip the last weekend of October. Which itinerary would you do this weekend and which itinerary would you do in October once the leaves are changing? Any other things I should check out?
Stick to lower elevations for your October trip. Leaves will be on the downward trend at the higher elevations by that time.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Stick to lower elevations for your October trip. Leaves will be on the downward trend at the higher elevations by that time.
Ah thanks! I'll move that October trip up a few weeks then. I was just going off the foliage forecast from last year but it seems to have peaked late

Old 08-06-2020, 03:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
In my opinion the best time for the leaves is the second half of October. The 15th-25th is usually a sweet spot, but it changes.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:05 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
^ I agree...even at our ~5,000 ft elevation, color is at/near peak the 3rd to 4th week of October, most years.

Yes, there may be considerable leaf drop before that date, esp at 5,000 ft and higher, but the 'color' is very dependent on a few factors, none of which the 'color guessers' can predict.

If we avoid the usual considerable winds/storms in mid Oct, later in October can be spectacular...the lower elevations can/will be even a touch later, in my experience.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 08-07-2020, 12:42 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Yikes! My normal response to the trails you've chosen in the smokies is avoid them like the plague... this year I mean that literally. I mean they are great trails and there's a reason they are popular but they are best visited in the off season and most certainly not this year.

Your NC itinerary looks great.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:52 PM

11 posts, read 8,951 times
High Falls, Triple Falls in Dupont Forest are nice but the area has lost a bit of the wilderness feeling with the new parking, check this out area stuff that's been built. For fun go across the road the other way from the parking area and down to Hooker Falls, great family swimming hole and place to relax. The nice thing all 3 are in the same small area making them easy to see in a short time. For the Gorges Park area, if you want to hike, tough to beat. Follow the trail at the top of the parking area to get to Turtleback Falls and Rainbow Falls, wear stout shoes. If you want a quick look without the hiking, continue a bit further south on the same road (281) to Whitewater Falls, it's worth the trip. For SC parks close to the same area there's Caesar's Head, follow 276 south from Brevard, NC which is close to Hendersonville. Another is Chau Ram, a good place for easy hiking and cooling off in the cold streams.

Have fun!

Old 08-12-2020, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to aim for a trip to the Brevard area mid to late October

I hit up Great Smoky Mountains National Park this weekend and managed to do Clingman's Dome, Cades Cove and the Alum Cove trail to Mount LeConte and it surprisingly wasn't that bad! I started early both days though.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:13 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to aim for a trip to the Brevard area mid to late October

I hit up Great Smoky Mountains National Park this weekend and managed to do Clingman's Dome, Cades Cove and the Alum Cove trail to Mount LeConte and it surprisingly wasn't that bad! I started early both days though.

This is what I used in Colorado for my fall trips to see aspens. Made tons of trips in various parts of CO in 8+ years, and this map never let me down. I am planning to use it for NC mountains as well. Enjoy!

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina