Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 11:13 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times

Advertisements

My family said too many tourists. What would you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 01:18 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,096 times
High crime.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:27 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
All of us natives/locals complain about the influx of tourists, but secretly we welcome it, because it's what keeps the small towns vibrant, as most of the industry is gone and wont be coming back. however, that being said, this year is the first time Ive harbored true ill-will toward tourists. When the COVID outbreak hit, alot of people in the cities made a break for the mountains and is probably a main reason why alot of small touristy towns saw cases start shooting up. They also put a strain on local resources. I saw it as a complete disregard for the people who call these places home, and it stemmed from nothing more than a sense of entitlement.

But another problem with the mountains, and it goes back to tourists, is that they are simply loved to death. I think of places like Dupont and more specifically, the bikers. Unless Dupont actually closes the trails due to heavy rain, people will be all over the trails even right after heavy periods of rain, instead of giving them a day to drain and dry. Sadly, some local do this, but alot of it is from people who are here vacationing, and all they care about is getting their ride in, not protecting the environment/trails. Most of the tourists are the ones who leave trash as well. Like I said from the start, as a native, I embrace tourism as it's why Brevard is a really cool small town. I just wish the people visiting would have more respect for the land and the people who live here.

Also, like many other small towns, drugs are a big problem. Fortunately, random violent crime is very low in most places in WNC.

But as for the mountains themselves? Nothing about them is disappointing.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I don't mind the tourists. It keeps the town bustling. The violent crime is usually not random and tied to some other illegal activity. Theft is an issue. Just don't leave your belongings out in sight.

For me, I don't care for the couple months of winter. Although we still get a decent amount of sunshine, it can get cold, damp and brown/gray. The real cold is mostly in the mornings and when the sun goes down. Everything dies off during the winter. I am still glad that I can get out most days and enjoy them since it warms up and the sun comes out. That being said, spring, summer and fall are very desirable.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:06 PM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
Hate seeing trash on almost every trail now and in most of the creeks. All along the Blue Ridge Parkway too.

Graffiti is also a problem with many wanting to “leave their mark” on the area by scratching something into a tree or post, which to some may seem innocent but with millions of visitors to the region each year it starts to become a major eyesore.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:36 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Gotta say, graffiti and trash are number one in my book too!

There is a privately owned overlook off a dirt road near our house. People love to walk to it and enjoy the peace and quiet while sitting on the big rocks enjoying the view of the valley below. We've been lucky enough to hike there several times a week. Over the past few years, the visitors have increased and it is seldom that we get there and at least one person or couple isn't already there.

The trash has increased 10 fold around this overlook. The owner has posted polite signs asking people to carry out whatever they carry in. It has done little good. I take a bag with me about twice a month and lug 3/4 to a full bag of assorted beer and drink cans, bottles, cups, straws, fast food boxes, socks, used bottle rockets, a bike tube, broken shoe laces, a hat, a few small batteries and yes, even a condom. I will say, I did receive a mild surprise a few months ago when some left a small metric socket set, missing the 12mm and the 3/8 inch drive, but the 1/4 drive was there.
I fear the owner will fence it off and gate the trail to discourage sightseers. Such a slap in the face for the owner who is merely extending goodwill to allow hikers onto their property.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:11 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
We lived west of Asheville in Haywood County. The trash was the most disturbing thing to us. Yes, the weather could wear on you in a bad winter. I loved our neighborhood at the top of a mountain at 4400 feet and probably could have stayed there for the rest of my life if we didn't have to try to get down the mountain to get to clients for pick ups/drop offs. Plus we had to move my dad to a facility that had more care than we could provide.

The trash was sad. It made everything in that area look unkept and uncared for. We could drive one county over and there was so much less.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:57 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
All of us natives/locals complain about the influx of tourists, but secretly we welcome it, because it's what keeps the small towns vibrant, as most of the industry is gone and wont be coming back. however, that being said, this year is the first time Ive harbored true ill-will toward tourists. When the COVID outbreak hit, alot of people in the cities made a break for the mountains and is probably a main reason why alot of small touristy towns saw cases start shooting up. They also put a strain on local resources. I saw it as a complete disregard for the people who call these places home, and it stemmed from nothing more than a sense of entitlement.

But another problem with the mountains, and it goes back to tourists, is that they are simply loved to death. I think of places like Dupont and more specifically, the bikers. Unless Dupont actually closes the trails due to heavy rain, people will be all over the trails even right after heavy periods of rain, instead of giving them a day to drain and dry. Sadly, some local do this, but alot of it is from people who are here vacationing, and all they care about is getting their ride in, not protecting the environment/trails. Most of the tourists are the ones who leave trash as well. Like I said from the start, as a native, I embrace tourism as it's why Brevard is a really cool small town. I just wish the people visiting would have more respect for the land and the people who live here.

Also, like many other small towns, drugs are a big problem. Fortunately, random violent crime is very low in most places in WNC.

But as for the mountains themselves? Nothing about them is disappointing.

I agree with your comments. I look forward to this time of the year when tourists are not as prevalent and part-timers return to FL. With that said, without the tourists and part-timers, this area would not have many of the amenities it offers. Compared to many areas in the U.S., crime is relatively low in WNC.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:07 PM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
When visiting the Biltmore look at the stone walls along the pathways heading towards the house, the Ramp Deuce where the scanning shack is located or the fountains on the south terrace and you’ll see some pretty disturbing examples of graffiti.

People have actually climbed into the fountains there and carved their initials into the historic limestone fountains, or have gone to the Bass Pond or Reflection Ponds and carved into the trees so much that they hardly have any bark left on them from ground level to the 7-8 foot mark. Pretty sad.

Wish folks would consider stacking rocks instead. At least they can be knocked down or spread out, or even hauled away if they become an eyesore.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:05 AM

789 posts, read 784,593 times
We live north of asheville on the western side of Yancey county for the last 23 years .

Most disappointing thing about our area is
Perhaps how long it can take to get to a large city if you need something not found locally IF you live in the wrong area of the county !!

What I like -
Limited Tourist
Quietness in general
Safe to live here . One of the 3 highest percentage of concealed carry folks in the state and a majority of families hunt .
Not a good area for a bad guy to live .
No gang life taggers ect.
Most anything we need can be found here but for use weaverville is 20 minutes away on low traffic roads

Depending on the location of your home like in a valley you can also have less adverse weather than surrounding areas like even marion to asheville , hendersonville and surround lower elevation areas south but high country homes can be interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina