Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 10:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette View Post
I also like the idea of elevation being a bit higher which will help us stay a bit cooler in the summer and a little bit less humid I would imagine as well
Not really less humid. The mountains are a very humid environment rather than arid. Parts of the NC mountains are considered a temperate rainforest. Lots of fog and moss. Sometimes people have trouble with mold and mildew, too. But the higher elevations mean lower temps which means it's less hot-n-sticky in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 11:17 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
We are over 5000 ft in the WNC temperate rainforest. We run a dehumidifier set to 55% in our basement and crawlspace all summer. It will run most days.

The high temperatures rarely get over 75 degrees.

The crawlspace can easily climb to 80% humidity without running the unit.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Juliette, I saw your post about Boone popped back up. Wondering where your brother lives in WNC and how close you want to be to him? We might be able to make some more targeted suggestions based on that and your snowfall wants.

I think it will be a HUGE culture shock coming from Southern California and New Jersey. WNC is nothing like either one of those areas. (FWIW, I lived in LA for a brief while and my sister lived in NJ so I have a smidge of experience there too). My nephew lives in Tahoe right now. Some people compare Asheville to Portland OR and I guess I can see that, but Portland is a much bigger city than Asheville.

The mountains of NC are a much more slow-paced, chill, rural experience, even in Asheville and Boone. You are never more than 10 minutes from woods and farms. You have some eco-warrior neo-hippie types (esp around Asheville and Boone) and you have a lot of old families that have been in the mountains for generations. (My mama's side of my family goes back to pre-Revolutionary war in the mountains of SW Va.) There is a lot of love for Appalachian culture, lotta bluegrass and country music, also a lot of non-bluegrass, esp around Asheville and Boone. Lot of artists, both edgy (esp around Asheville) and traditional. Lot of tourists. Plenty of retirees. Not a great job market in WNC outside of tourism, building, farming, entrepreneurship.

Re Boone, I think the fact that Boone helped produce Doc Watson, Luke Combs (he grew up in Asheville and went to App State in Boone), and Rainbow Kitten Surprise is kinda indicative of the vibe. If you don't know who they are, you kinda hafta know who Doc Watson is to live in Boone (there's a statue of him downtown), so better look him up.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:43 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Re Boone, I think the fact that Boone helped produce Doc Watson, Luke Combs (he grew up in Asheville and went to App State in Boone), and Rainbow Kitten Surprise is kinda indicative of the vibe. If you don't know who they are, you kinda hafta know who Doc Watson is to live in Boone (there's a statue of him downtown), so better look him up.
Don't forget that Brevard produced the Steep Canyon Rangers (featuring actor/comedian Steve Martin on a couple of albums/tours), who overall are probably more famous due to their collaborations with Edie Brickell. Asheville gets the origin credit it seems more so, probably due to the greater variety of venues and frequency of performances.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:25 AM

I believe Steep Canyon Rangers meet at UNC-Chapel Hill, but they call WNC home now.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:28 PM

met, not meet :doh:

Old 01-02-2021, 09:02 PM

46 posts, read 72,753 times
Quote:
Juliette, I saw your post about Boone popped back up. Wondering where your brother lives in WNC and how close you want to be to him? We might be able to make some more targeted suggestions based on that and your snowfall wants.

I think it will be a HUGE culture shock coming from Southern California and New Jersey. WNC is nothing like either one of those areas. (FWIW, I lived in LA for a brief while and my sister lived in NJ so I have a smidge of experience there too). My nephew lives in Tahoe right now. Some people compare Asheville to Portland OR and I guess I can see that, but Portland is a much bigger city than Asheville.

The mountains of NC are a much more slow-paced, chill, rural experience, even in Asheville and Boone. You are never more than 10 minutes from woods and farms. You have some eco-warrior neo-hippie types (esp around Asheville and Boone) and you have a lot of old families that have been in the mountains for generations. (My mama's side of my family goes back to pre-Revolutionary war in the mountains of SW Va.) There is a lot of love for Appalachian culture, lotta bluegrass and country music, also a lot of non-bluegrass, esp around Asheville and Boone. Lot of artists, both edgy (esp around Asheville) and traditional. Lot of tourists. Plenty of retirees. Not a great job market in WNC outside of tourism, building, farming, entrepreneurship.

My Brother is in WS and were in the sleepy slower mtns here quite often, love em!

Old 01-03-2021, 08:20 AM

If he’s in Winston and you want snow I think the Boone/Blowing Rick area is going to be a good fit if you can find work if you need it. Jobs can be tricky anywhere in the mountains if you are not in an in demand profession like healthcare.

Another option would to be to live and work closer to Winston and then just take easy weekend trips to the mountains.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:16 AM

46 posts, read 72,753 times
Quote:
If he’s in Winston and you want snow I think the Boone/Blowing Rick area is going to be a good fit if you can find work if you need it. Jobs can be tricky anywhere in the mountains if you are not in an in demand profession like healthcare.

Another option would to be to live and work closer to Winston and then just take easy weekend trips to the mountains.
Any areas around Winston or Raleigh that tend to get decent snow? Like North area towns?

Old 01-03-2021, 12:07 PM

Not so much, but Winston-Salem and Greensboro do get more than other cities like Charlotte and Raleigh and have more jobs than the mountain region. If jobs are a consideration (you don't work remote, or have your own business, or work in healthcare, etc) you might have to compromise and go to the mountains on the weekends and get your snow fix then.

Last edited by poppydog; 01-03-2021 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina