Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 10:46 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Summer temps are very moderate up above 3000 ft. Most summer days are in the high 70ss and low 80s, but above 3000 ft it is very very rare to see a high in the 90s. I don't ever remember it (we have a family home in Boone). Down around 2000 feet where Asheville, Black Mountain, etc are you will see 90+ days fairly often.

I just looked at July 2020 for Boone and there were 3 days with highs above 85º, none in the 90s. In comparison Black Mountain had 23 days 85º or above and 8 at 90º or above. Being above 3000 feet is really key if you want to beat the heat.
Agreed. And according to the Weather Channel, Boone's average daily high in July is 79 degrees. I live near and work in Boone and we have not reached 90 degrees in the last 10 or 11 years. I've lived here for close to 14 years and it has definitely changed my acclimation to heat. Now anytime we go somewhere that's really hot (Sacramento, Phoenix), I really don't care as much for it. And I was raised in the Sacramento area and lived there for more than 30 years prior to leaving in 2006. When I first moved to Watauga County I did not care much for the cold. Now I don't mind it as much. And the cold we have here in Watauga County is much milder than what's found in Montana for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 4,786 times
We are still looking but our trip to the mountains in NC has been put on hold. Weather here is not very accommodating. We had planned to visit pulling our travel trailer--that way we could check out some of the towns you have suggested and then go and visit our son and park in his side yard. Quite frankly we don't relish the idea of pulling the trailer in snow, wind and ice--so we'll wait until we have better weather. This will also give us time to further examine the towns we are interested in. We have to consider being near a veteran's hospital and clinic. That is important. We don't want to be too far from either. In the meantime if you think of any more locations for us please post. Thank you so much for your input.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:27 AM

425 posts, read 419,637 times
FWIW, my dad lives in Greensboro, and usually makes appointments in Salisbury or Durham for VA care. (Neither are what I would call convenient distance.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina