Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 07:19 AM

902 posts, read 809,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Agreed. So how many housemates do they have? When are they getting better jobs?
You would have to ask them as we’re not in a gig job or low income situation, or even looking for work ...

I’m sure there are many here on the forum that can speak for that, and only wish there were an abundant amount of $17+ per hour jobs to be found in AVL.

We’d wish that for them too, and for the fire fighters keeping our communities safe while making under $30k per year ... before taxes.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 02-19-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 01:56 PM

168 posts, read 267,965 times
What I don't see anyone discussing here is the responsibility of the individual to do the work to get a better job. Night school is not fun, but it does lead to better opportunity...and sometimes that better opportunity requires moving to a different area. There are still employers out there who will assist with college tuition and that can go a long way to improve one's lot in life.

I speak from experience, 4 years of night school to finish my college degree and moving to get a better job. Do I miss my hometown, yep, do I appreciate the opportunity that the move afforded me, yep! It is about choices, and we all have them. A "Living Wage" (i.e. minimum wage) was never meant to be a place that someone sat for the rest of their lives. It was meant as a "starting" point. Oh, and the college degree doesn't have to be from a private institution...nice if you can swing it, but in reality, employers just want to see that you have the commitment to obtain the degree and that it provides the basis for further on-the-job learning, which BTW is meant to be "life-long learning". Commitment to personal growth is key.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:33 PM

425 posts, read 419,899 times
We've seen plenty of posts here about stable well paying jobs being tough to get in Asheville. But I don't think we're talking about an extreme comparable to the ski resort towns of Colorado, where people who work in the resorts have to commute from an hour away and only the ultra-rich can live there.

Asheville does have a broader economy than many "college towns" or "beach towns" IMO. It has some state and federal offices there. It had medical, law, accounting, a large school district. Jobs can be found for someone that is tough about continuing to apply again and again, and open minded about shifting careers if a secondary opportunity is available.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:41 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,317,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
We've seen plenty of posts here about stable well paying jobs being tough to get in Asheville. But I don't think we're talking about an extreme comparable to the ski resort towns of Colorado, where people who work in the resorts have to commute from an hour away and only the ultra-rich can live there.

Asheville does have a broader economy than many "college towns" or "beach towns" IMO. It has some state and federal offices there. It had medical, law, accounting, a large school district. Jobs can be found for someone that is tough about continuing to apply again and again, and open minded about shifting careers if a secondary opportunity is available.
Bingo! There are good paying jobs in Asheville in the fields you’ve noted and with Pratt and Whitney’s new plant, there will be even more. Some small business owners in Asheville are doing extremely well. While retirees are a piece of the puzzle for driving up the COL and the price of housing, they are not solely responsible. This is a matter of basic economics. There is strong demand for housing and services with limited supply, resulting in a higher COL than some other areas (ie., similar size towns in SC, TN). You’re right - relative to other resort towns, like the ones you mentioned, the COL isn’t that bad. It’s all relative..

Last edited by Lizap; 02-19-2021 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-20-2021, 04:23 AM

5,461 posts, read 6,067,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Bingo! There are good paying jobs in Asheville in the fields you’ve noted and with Pratt and Whitney’s new plant, there will be even more. Some small business owners in Asheville are doing extremely well. While retirees are a piece of the puzzle for driving up the COL and the price of housing, they are not solely responsible. This is a matter of basic economics. There is strong demand for housing and services with limited supply, resulting in a higher COL than some other areas (ie., similar size towns in SC, TN). You’re right - relative to other resort towns, like the ones you mentioned, the COL isn’t that bad. It’s all relative..
Boy, you are so right! If my relatives had invested properly and made more money I could afford to live in one of the mentioned resort towns... LOL

Old 02-20-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliehubbard View Post
What I don't see anyone discussing here is the responsibility of the individual to do the work to get a better job. Night school is not fun, but it does lead to better opportunity...and sometimes that better opportunity requires moving to a different area. There are still employers out there who will assist with college tuition and that can go a long way to improve one's lot in life.

I speak from experience, 4 years of night school to finish my college degree and moving to get a better job. Do I miss my hometown, yep, do I appreciate the opportunity that the move afforded me, yep! It is about choices, and we all have them. A "Living Wage" (i.e. minimum wage) was never meant to be a place that someone sat for the rest of their lives. It was meant as a "starting" point. Oh, and the college degree doesn't have to be from a private institution...nice if you can swing it, but in reality, employers just want to see that you have the commitment to obtain the degree and that it provides the basis for further on-the-job learning, which BTW is meant to be "life-long learning". Commitment to personal growth is key.
I completely agree with this. Invest in yourself and always have options available. We’ve done the same and have always had employment no matter where we have landed.

It’s fun watching all of the retirees and second home owners coming to defend their precious Asheville. Most if not all never tried making their living in the area and brought their money with them, but can tell you how easy it is to find a position (of substance) that will allow you to prosper in the area.

Simply put, there’s very few options available for most in BC and AVL.

Jobs that are few and far between, require degrees and training then a changing of careers (just for the shot of landing) or jobs in factories, restaurants, retail and supermarkets are hardly options for motivated types.

If so desirable, how come Asheville and BC never promote the jobs in area factories? Easy - because no one wants to work in a factory other than those who HAVE to.

Glad you made the choice of schooling and moving away for a better opportunity, which only strengthens my point (4 years of night school ...) about the available options in the area. Good luck!

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 02-20-2021 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-20-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Boy, you are so right! If my relatives had invested properly and made more money I could afford to live in one of the mentioned resort towns... LOL
+1

We’ve lived near some of the mentioned resort towns (Colorado Springs, Denver suburbs and Casper, Wyoming) and think it’s comical to compare them with lonely little Asheville. Wishful thinking at best.

Propping up an argument with COL and LW comparisons to towns 1,500 miles away (international destinations, many of which have been ruined for locals BTW) is simply dumb.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 02-20-2021 at 07:44 AM..

Old 02-20-2021, 09:35 AM

425 posts, read 419,899 times
What exactly is the rationale of this thread? That Asheville "should not cost $17/hr to live in?" That "it's not worth it?"

When I lived in Raleigh in 1989 and working for $8.50 an hour, sharing a 2 story in-the-beltway house with several other guys (and lots of roaches) I was not complaining that Raleigh was overpriced. I understood that was an entry level wage, and not representative of being fully independent. I figured that I'd climb up from there over time, and did.

That's what $17/hr is today in Asheville. Enough to get by, and save something (if you economize). It's the life I had 30+ years ago, adjusted for inflation.

I suppose nobody can stop forumers from grousing about it. But this is what the mobility of populations and the business climate of the area appear to have balanced to. (If you agree with the article, and maybe not everybody agrees with it anyway.)

Old 02-20-2021, 10:46 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,089,923 times
My issue with minimum wage is that it doesn't go up annually like the COL does. Yes, it's entry level but why is it the same thing it was 12-13 years ago? Everything else went up. I think there should be some type of increase, percentage it should go up annually. It doesn't have to be a significant amount either, just a reasonable amount.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:50 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,760,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliehubbard View Post

This^^^ also learn a trade, or go into the service. It should be incentive enough not to be beholden to Jeff Bezos for the rest of your life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina