Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 02:07 PM

902 posts, read 807,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
We lived in Canton from 2016-2019. We were 6 miles north of town and never smelled the plant unless the wind came from the south, which didn't happen frequently.

Our house sold for $50K more than we paid for it, most of the houses that have sold on our mountain sold for very good prices, actually, some for over $500K. Our views were spectacular, it was quiet and beautiful. We went into town every few days, sometimes you could smell the plant, sometimes you couldn't.

It always surprises me how judgmental people are when they don't even live in an area. I'd much rather live in Canton than in Asheville, personally. My dad's house is still up there (we haven't put it on the market yet, he's been moved into an assisted living facility) and we visit there quite often. The only reason we left was to move my dad into the home he's in now. I will be sad the day we have to sell his place.
Personally agree with living in the Canton area versus living in Asheville. Just couldn’t live too close to the plant or on the east or west side of it. Would have to be out in the country like you.

The town of Canton we think is really cute in itself but the paper mill put us off when looking to buy there. The surrounding countryside is really, really pretty though and an area that we love to explore. There’s no doubt that if the paper mill wasn't there properties in Canton would instantly double.

We looked at buying near Canton out towards the Sandy Mush and west end of Leicester area at one point but could never find the right property at the right price, and didn't want to feed into the bidding wars and overpriced valuations that others were willing to pay for. There were always lots of great bargains in town, but we knew why that was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 03:47 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Personally agree with living in the Canton area versus living in Asheville. Just couldn’t live too close to the plant or on the east or west side of it. Would have to be out in the country like you.

The town of Canton we think is really cute in itself but the paper mill put us off when looking to buy there. The surrounding countryside is really, really pretty though and an area that we love to explore. There’s no doubt that if the paper mill wasn't there properties in Canton would instantly double.

We looked at buying near Canton out towards the Sandy Mush and west end of Leicester area at one point but could never find the right property at the right price, and didn't want to feed into the bidding wars and overpriced valuations that others were willing to pay for. There were always lots of great bargains in town, but we knew why that was.

There is much talk about high property prices in WNC. Relatively speaking, my guess is there are likely better prices in the Canton area.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:44 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I wasn't trying to be judgemental with my original post. Honestly, I was just reporting my perception from a first visit to the town - hoping to get a perspective from others who have lived there or know something about the town.
I tend to be defensive when the subject of Canton comes up. So many people haven't even been there, yet have negative things to say about it. All of the photos below were taken from our deck looking east or southeast.

This was our view to the southeast looking at Mt Pisgah

The full moons were amazing, so were the sunrises.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:38 AM

902 posts, read 807,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I tend to be defensive when the subject of Canton comes up. So many people haven't even been there, yet have negative things to say about it.
You’d think someone coming to the area “for decades” would have stumbled upon Canton by now.

It’s practically the same distance from Asheville as Black Mountain is to the east (@ 20 minutes) and no big secret if you’ve spent that much time in the area. We visited Canton within the first few weeks of coming to WNC, and have been there dozens of times since.

And you’re right, it is a very pretty area.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 03-19-2021 at 04:57 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 07:49 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Thanks for posting the photos. Beautiful scenery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina