Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 02:43 PM

33 posts, read 39,206 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are moving to Mill Spring and our only option is satellite internet. We had Hughes net satellite about 20 years ago in Vermont and it was just a tad better than dial up.

We can get Hughesnet again, but Skyrunner (if it is available, they are doing a site survey Thursday) offers triple the data available, same download of 25 Mbps and uploads of 5 Mbps vs 3 for Hughes net, also no contract with Skyrunner and at least $50 less a month....so no to Hughes net.

That brings me to my question for anyone who has either Skyrunner or Via sat.....Via sat offers way higher download speeds, at a much higher price and also requires a 2 year commitment. We don't game and we will have Dish for TV, but we do use the internet for browsing, email, and streaming on Netflix or Amazon every couple of days for a few hours.

Any input, suggestions or advice from those who have or had Viasat or Skyrunner would be greatly appreciated. I feel like every other day we run into another hurdle for this house, but we do love the area so much and hope to make this work.

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 03:14 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Having only vaguely heard of Viasat before, I was curious via your post.

We have been Skyrunner users for several years and 3 dB Wireless before that for a decade previous to that company being bought out by Skyrunner; thus, my interest in a possible alt to Skyrunner.

Only from viewing Viasat's web page, my opin: pricing is a bit higher than Skyrunner for the mid to upper tier speed, (which is what we use), and the 'contract', monthly lease of ~ $15 for 'equipment', and some other mice print gives me a Hmmmm. Add in that I know of no one on our high mountain that has tried it, I will wait for more 'experienced opins' to show up in our area circles, before tossing Skyrunner.

That is just my reserve before jumping to a new ISP provider as we have been pleased with Skyrunner the past couple years with their having greatly improved their usual/real speed, better pricing tiers, and customer service than they had several years ago.

No way on HughesNet, even if it was free, for us.

We have had DISH since 2000, and while it isn't perfect and only for TV, (and with streaming being not 'cable like'), we don't have an option as the cable is a mile from us since 2000, and will still be a mile from us in 2035, when I will have left the planet.

So, a Yes from me on Skyrunner, unless the OP wants to fiddle with Viasat as a test and give us their opins, or if Skyrunner's relay dish(s) are not in your house line of sight.

My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 04-12-2021, 03:55 PM

272 posts, read 204,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza899vt View Post
...We don't game and we will have Dish for TV, but we do use the internet for browsing, email, and streaming on Netflix or Amazon every couple of days for a few hours...
Just be aware that video streaming will use up data pretty quickly - especially if you stream 4K/UHD resolution. And don't forget other "needed downloads" that will consume data too...such as computer and phone updates (OS and app patches), gps maps, email attachments, etc. There are probably some options on your devices to monitor or regulate downloads (metered connection options to time downloads to off-peak/free times) and you might check to see if your home router offers bandwidth/data monitoring options. Neither will avoid "needed downloads," but you might achieve some savings/conservation through timing.

Have you checked Carolina Mountain Cablevision? How close is the nearest cable connection to your home?

FWIW - When I first moved to Cold Mountain, I didn't have any options other than satellite. Then, 2 years after struggling with Excede, I lucked out with Carolina Mountain Cablevision. I still had to pay to bury the cable for the last 600' - but that was well worth it. My neighbor "up the hill" from me had no such luck, but he found the nearest pole with a cable connection and buried his own cable - for a pretty long way up his access road from the pole to his home (~2500'). He rented a ditch witch to get his cable buried (only 6"). This may still not be feasible for you (too far, cliffs, water, easements, etc.), but thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:29 AM

I too thought Skyrunner sounded like a good choice. They are coming Thursday to do a site survey. There may be some trees need taking down, they couldn't tell just via the satellite.

The next best option I have uncovered is yes, the higher priced Viasat. So was hoping someone could chime in on them.

I too would never use Hughes net again if at all possible.

I will look into Carolina Mountain Cable, thank you.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:47 PM

36 posts, read 47,328 times
My 2 cents. We have been using Skyrunner for about 4 years and have been very satisfied. It is a little more expensive than wire to you house options but am happy because it is very reliable and we don't - have a wire to the house.

We did use hughnet at our prior house as it was our only option. My opinion is that the actual service is mediocre and expensive for what you get. The company however is horrible and should be shut down. Check reviews on social media before you do any business with them

Old 04-23-2021, 05:30 AM

Looks like we will be going with Viasat over Skyrunner as we need some faster speeds that Skyrunner doesn't offer. I am hopeful it will work well. Will keep you posted after some time with the service. We don't move to Mill Spring for a couple more weeks still.

As an aside, I think we will get on the list for Starlink as well. We watch the satellites getting launched constantly (this morning SpaceX had a beautiful early AM manned flight, very cool)....feels like it must be getting busy up there in the sky they launch so many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina