Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 12:06 PM

5,465 posts, read 6,085,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
So you're comparing the crime rate in Asheville, a city of 80,000, with the crime rate of New Orleans, a city of 400,000?
Whoa now, didn't you compare fracking to tourism in another thread?

Crime rate / population compared to crime rate / population somewhere in the ballpark.

Fracking compared to tourism..... somewhere in the solar system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 05:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,925,065 times
The latest crime spree here in WAVL involves stealing catalytic converters from Priuses; I've talked to three different people here in WAVL who have been victimized in this fashion.

"Someone stole our catalytic converter from our Prius in the middle of the night while it was parked in front of our house. It happened June 29. Heads up and keep an eye out. Thefts are increasing in our neighborhood!! I have reported this information to the police."

https://wlos.com/news/local/ashevill...-theft-suspect

Old 07-13-2021, 05:56 PM

Definition of obsession:
1: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,111,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Definition of obsession:
1: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling.
Right?!

Old 07-15-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Whoa now, didn't you compare fracking to tourism in another thread?

Crime rate / population compared to crime rate / population somewhere in the ballpark.

Fracking compared to tourism..... somewhere in the solar system?
Clearly you missed the point. The comparison between the fracking industry and the tourism industry is not in the nature of the businesses themselves, obviously; it's in relation to the social costs associated with the industries. Both fracking and tourism come with social costs that impact the communities in negative ways. The social costs themselves are different (didn't think I needed to point out the obvious, but here we are), but the similarities are that the social costs, which are unique to the industries, must be weighed into the equation when evaluating the benefit of those industries to the communities.

Are the economic benefits of fracking worth the environmental and health costs to the community?
Are the economic benefits of tourism worth the social and quality of life costs to the community?

The costs are different, but the principle is the same.

The tourism (and fracking) industries aren't going to acknowledge these costs in their evaluations because they have an obvious agenda: to make profits, regardless of the costs to the community.

Crime rate, on the other hand, must necessarily involve a comparison between cities of similar size in order to be useful. To say that Asheville has a similar crime rate to New Orleans, a city 5 times larger, is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Asheville.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Clearly you missed the point. The comparison between the fracking industry and the tourism industry is not in the nature of the businesses themselves, obviously; it's in relation to the social costs associated with the industries. Both fracking and tourism come with social costs that impact the communities in negative ways. The social costs themselves are different (didn't think I needed to point out the obvious, but here we are), but the similarities are that the social costs, which are unique to the industries, must be weighed into the equation when evaluating the benefit of those industries to the communities.

Are the economic benefits of fracking worth the environmental and health costs to the community?
Are the economic benefits of tourism worth the social and quality of life costs to the community?

The costs are different, but the principle is the same.

The tourism (and fracking) industries aren't going to acknowledge these costs in their evaluations because they have an obvious agenda: to make profits, regardless of the costs to the community.

Crime rate, on the other hand, must necessarily involve a comparison between cities of similar size in order to be useful. To say that Asheville has a similar crime rate to New Orleans, a city 5 times larger, is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Asheville.
I guess you could also compare the big nuclear energy plants, the massive hog lagoons, the sweat shops in China and Indonesia...... where do your negative comparisons stop?

Tourism, the devil within, the scourge of the earth!

Old 07-15-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Tourism, the devil within, the scourge of the earth!
Not at all. As I've said many times, tourism is not bad *per se*; the problems arises when *any* industry has too much influence and power within an area. This isn't rocket science, it's just common sense.

But speaking of factory farming, that's a good comparison too. When massive, greedy corporations like Smithfield foods have too much power and influence, as they do down East for example, then communities suffer.

"Oh, but look at the jobs they bring!" . . . yes, and the cancer clusters, and the poor water quality, and the degraded air quality, and the environmental destruction etc.

Is hog farming bad per se? Of course not. Is it bad when Smithfield foods completely dominate the landscape and make decisions based strictly on profit without regard to the larger community's well-being? Absolutely.

On a grander scale, look at what Exxon Mobil did in Ecuador, raping the land for profit and leaving behind a wake of environmental catastrophe that destroyed indigenous communities.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Not at all. As I've said many times, tourism is not bad *per se*; the problems arises when *any* industry has too much influence and power within an area. This isn't rocket science, it's just common sense.

But speaking of factory farming, that's a good comparison too. When massive, greedy corporations like Smithfield foods have too much power and influence, as they do down East for example, then communities suffer.

"Oh, but look at the jobs they bring!" . . . yes, and the cancer clusters, and the poor water quality, and the degraded air quality, and the environmental destruction etc.

Is hog farming bad per se? Of course not. Is it bad when Smithfield foods completely dominate the landscape and make decisions based strictly on profit without regard to the larger community's well-being? Absolutely.

On a grander scale, look at what Exxon Mobil did in Ecuador, raping the land for profit and leaving behind a wake of environmental catastrophe that destroyed indigenous communities.
You know, it's funny, but I find I'm with you to a point, but your constant negativity propels my devil's advocate mode into full power.

Tourism has no more power in Asheville than it does in any tourist driven area.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
You know, it's funny, but I find I'm with you to a point, but your constant negativity propels my devil's advocate mode into full power.

Tourism has no more power in Asheville than it does in any tourist driven area.
This information is only "negative" to the emotionally underdeveloped who are unable to tolerate uncomfortable truths.

"Tourist-driven" . . . i.e. undiversified economies held hostage by the big hotels.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
This information is only "negative" to the emotionally underdeveloped who are unable to tolerate uncomfortable truths.

"Tourist-driven" . . . i.e. undiversified economies held hostage by the big hotels.
Too close to the forest to see the trees eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina