Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 750 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Florida and I have just been offered a job in Valdese. Where should we live? My husband is a welder so we need to be near an area with good jobs for him. Also we have a 9 year old so great schools are a must. We want to rent before we buy anything so there needs to be rental properties available also. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 08:16 PM

339 posts, read 318,639 times
check realtor.com and zillow, good luck !

Old 08-05-2021, 08:45 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,397 times
Morganton if you want to be closer to Asheville, Hickory if you want to be closer to Charlotte.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:24 AM

425 posts, read 418,581 times
Valdese itself is a nice small town. It is surrounded by small mountains, just enough to begin to give some external ambiance to the scenery.

I am more familiar with the east side, than Morgantown. But Morgantown has a bit of a reputation as a place with a short list of major employers that are government entities (the college, school of the deaf, the detention center) and less manufacturing and machining than I would think that the cities on the east side could have.

It is too far to commute regularly from Valdese to Charlotte or Winston-Salem, however. Your husband would want to find work in Hickory or maybe Statesville.

Lincolnton is growing quickly, as it is on the edge of a manageable commute to Charlotte. But it still feels small to me, mostly simple retail services and residential subdivisions. You would not likely find work there, but could still commute to Valdese or any of the towns I mentioned east of it.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:13 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,406,618 times
I live about 10 mins due south of Valdese, seems to be the perfect sweet spot to hit anything from Asheville to Charlotte. Sadly nothing has been for sale here for awhile. There is a cute mini subdivision under way along Henry River Rd just north of Old Shelby Hwy you may want to check out.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:46 PM

146 posts, read 139,453 times
Probably Morganton, Hickory, Lenoir, Granite Falls, Mountain View. Depends on how far you want to drive. Hickory is the biggest as far as finding jobs and housing. The rental market is pretty tight in the whole area so start looking asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina