Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 10:56 PM

301 posts, read 176,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Snowman, good info. In the west, it's pretty easy to get away from crowds on hikes, back country activities, etc. How likely is that in WNC? Seems like with a larger population in a smaller geographic area, that could be more difficult.
Many people who live in the mountains don't hike or care about the recreation. To them its just their home that has always been in the mountains. There are many times of the year when people aren't out on the lake or trails. Unless it's a trail that's at a famous destination (mt mitchell, blowing rock, clingmans dome) I never experienced big crowds. People get enough "nature" keeping up with their lawn. There's steady rain through the year with occasional summer droughts. The grass seems to never stop growing unless there's a freeze. The population may be higher, but people don't all live in one cluster. They live right in the hills, which aren't rocky steep or dry like out west. My mother just found a place in Lenoir, NC for example... It's a house off a rolling country highway across from a small river. It's 15 minutes to town and fenced in half acre with all sorts of people in the area.. from young families with little money to retirees from FL NY WV etc, working class people who know nowhere else. Up the highway are more wealthy retirees with custom cabins. Many towns have a nice long greenway including Morganton Marion and Lenoir. Indoor swimming gyms in Lenoir and Morganton open, even though YMCA closes due to covid. You may be in for a culture shock depending who your neighbors are. All the stereotypes are more than true in remote southern towns, though less and less so as NC has been discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 09:53 AM

46 posts, read 63,717 times
So you learn something new everyday! I was scrolling thru the WNC thread and came across Jefferson/ West Jefferson topic. Extreme northwest part of the state...more Appalachian mountains..local people on there have shared how they like living there
Been here 30 yrs and never heard of it! OP is looking for 10 acres and hiking. Maybe a place to check out next month Landy, when you visit. Land may be affordable still????

Let us know what you decide after visiting

Old 01-10-2022, 09:53 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times
Landy - Yancey County might be a good fit . We have a small town of Burnsville NC with the majority of shopping needs here and a short drive from the western half of the county to Weaverville for big box store needs and a nice smaller town and Asheville for a city needs. Local Medical here is connected to Mission Hospital. Good Fire and EMT service too. Good place to retire to or raise kids. If you decide to but higher near state line Erwin TN and Johnsoncity Tn might be closer. Nice area in general so check the area and surroundings. We moved here 24 years ago for a change of pass from SW FL and get back to my rural life still and to finish raising two girls. MY wife and I are retired now and our girls and love as much today as 24 years ago but we vacationed all over these mountain for years before finding the right area we though to just retire too .
https://www.exploreburnsville.com/

Old 01-23-2022, 09:02 AM

Thinking outside the well known areas is best suited for those looking for peace and quiet. Brevard is becoming so well known with so much traffic that they are planning the design of 8 new traffic circles around town, along with a stone archway into the Pisgah Forest. Just in case you miss it with all the traffic. Oy! Glad I will be retiring soon and no longer have to do the 8 to 6 drive each day. It is a beautiful area and I hate the thought of leaving the Hendersonville Brevard area, but the growth and development is getting out of hand. Change is inevitable as well as growth. I don't begrudge anyone the desire to move here, it is such a beautiful area of the country but look with eyes wide open.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:24 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I've been surfing around Zillow (....I know.....) and see that searches for towns in WNC that we've visited show NO inventory. None.....coupla foreclosures.
For someone on the ground.....can you verify that you folks are out of inventory?

Old 01-23-2022, 09:34 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
Thinking outside the well known areas is best suited for those looking for peace and quiet. Brevard is becoming so well known with so much traffic that they are planning the design of 8 new traffic circles around town, along with a stone archway into the Pisgah Forest. Just in case you miss it with all the traffic. Oy! Glad I will be retiring soon and no longer have to do the 8 to 6 drive each day. It is a beautiful area and I hate the thought of leaving the Hendersonville Brevard area, but the growth and development is getting out of hand. Change is inevitable as well as growth. I don't begrudge anyone the desire to move here, it is such a beautiful area of the country but look with eyes wide open.
We all value different things - we love the Hendersonville area. Is it growing? Yes. BUT it has medical, close to major retail, close to an airport, close to larger metropolitan areas, close to outdoor activities, close to apple orchards, and vineyards, and has a beautiful downtown area. As retirees, we want convenience, and proximity to things. I find Brevard more touristy than Hendersonville; Hendersonville has a nice mix of residents and tourists. We live on the southwest side of Hendersonville (Brevard side). The areas out Willow and Kanuga roads are beautiful and rural, with no congestion.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:16 AM

Wait until the development comes to your side of town. My home in an established neighborhood with active HOA had to fight off the DOT wanting to take our home and 400 more for the Balfour Parkway. Luckily the county commissioners listened. We all have different experiences and perspective. Healthcare here...meh

Old 01-23-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Wait until the development comes to your side of town. My home in an established neighborhood with active HOA had to fight off the DOT wanting to take our home and 400 more for the Balfour Parkway. Luckily the county commissioners listened. We all have different experiences and perspective. Healthcare here...meh
Relative to some of the areas you mentioned, access to health care is better here. We have 2 hospitals and relatively close to Mission in Asheville and the hospitals in Greenville. It’ll take years to develop all the rural area southwest of Hendersonville. A good bit of this property is wooded and has been in the same families for generations. A recent proposal to build a storage facility out Crab Creek Rd.was rejected by the Henderson County Zoning Board, so there is some concern by Henderson County to have controlled development and respect for the environment.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:00 AM

Yep. Mills river used to be very rural and property in family for generations...until they sold the family farm. 280 and old turnpike rd area. Both sides were rolling farmland with cows. Now mcmansions...I'm not trying to argue but provide balance. Also. Proposed apartments coming to narrow 2 lane roads.. North main area..Let's hope the commissions keep listening

Old 01-23-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yep. Mills river used to be very rural and property in family for generations...until they sold the family farm. 280 and old turnpike rd area. Both sides were rolling farmland with cows. Now mcmansions...I'm not trying to argue but provide balance. Also. Proposed apartments coming to narrow 2 lane roads.. North main area..Let's hope the commissions keep listening
‘Balance’ is one of the many things we love about this area. You can hike or fish during the day and dine at a nice restaurant in the evening. We live 10 minutes from downtown, yet are very close to relatively remote areas. To each his or her own, but for many retirees (there are many who live here), this area is a very nice place to call home. Yes, the area is growing, as one would expect of a highly desirable region.

Last edited by Lizap; 01-23-2022 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina