Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 08:14 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
While it does rain in Brevard, I would not classify the weather as 'gloomy'. Brevard is fairly mixed politically; there are many progressive types who live there.
I agree and while not large, Brevard College does instill a progressiveness that ordinarily might not be present as well as from legions of cycling enthusiasts from all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 04:30 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLover71 View Post
Thank you poppydog, Lizap & claytonmom - very helpful. While I'm 51 years old, I definitely need some young energy around me (not all, but at least some). A "funky downtown" environment (over quilts and antiques) definitely appeals. It sounds like Boone might be a good fit if it has a good dose of older folks to balance things out. I seem to jibe best with organic farmer/dirt under fingernails/appreciators of good live music kinds of people of all ages.
Check out Marshall.

Star Diner is worth the drive.

Lots of organic famers into native plants and herbs. Strong arts community. Not sure about the music.

I wish I had known about Marshall years ago.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:15 AM

44 posts, read 41,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree and while not large, Brevard College does instill a progressiveness that ordinarily might not be present as well as from legions of cycling enthusiasts from all over.
Agree 100%. IN town tends to lean more liberal,educated and progressive. Rural areas will be flying the T flag!

Old 08-04-2023, 07:13 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I realize this thread is 7 months old, but now that I'm in Brevard, I think it would be a decent fit for the OP.

I'm impressed thus far, but it is smallish, and Hendersonville is larger and has more going on.

I've driven through the outlying areas of Brevard, & they are very nice. I have no idea of pricing though for a few acres.

The cleanliness of Brevard, & general upkeep of residential and commercial properties is so nice to see.

The people seem nice enough to me. I'm interacting with 20+ locals/day, & every one of them have been nice thus far, & open to newbies.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I realize this thread is 7 months old, but now that I'm in Brevard, I think it would be a decent fit for the OP.

I'm impressed thus far, but it is smallish, and Hendersonville is larger and has more going on.

I've driven through the outlying areas of Brevard, & they are very nice. I have no idea of pricing though for a few acres.

The cleanliness of Brevard, & general upkeep of residential and commercial properties is so nice to see.

The people seem nice enough to me. I'm interacting with 20+ locals/day, & every one of them have been nice thus far, & open to newbies.
I agree, Brevard does carry a lot of appeal and the people are across the board astonishingly friendly from my experiences as well.

Old 08-05-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yet 1 bike rack in downtown Brevard! The only one I've found is at the visitors center, which is not in the center of town, but rather a few blocks East. I've been locking up to light posts.

I doubt I'll get to Boone...2.5 hrs each way from Brevard, so 5 hrs round trip...not this trip.

Black Mountain's 1 hr, so I'll get there, & same for Waynesville from Brevard...~1 hr each way...easily doable trips. I'll write up a trip report comparing Brevard to Black Mountain after my visit there.

Brevard's a nice place to visit for a month, but its too small for my preferences, to stay much longer. The 3 best restaurants are small, & packed from 5-7:30. I'm glad they're doing well, & the staff's are working really hard to keep up...kudos to those hard working young Americans, & thank you all.

Nice little farmers market this morning that had some real farmers....but of course, those selling arts 'n crafts, & other non-food stuff too.

I just looked up median age, and Brevard's younger than Black Mountain...surprising, since I'm seeing lots of oldsters in Brevard.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 08-05-2023 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-05-2023, 12:39 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Yet 1 bike rack in downtown Brevard! The only one I've found is at the visitors center, which is not in the center of town, but rather a few blocks East. I've been locking up to light posts.

I doubt I'll get to Boone...2.5 hrs each way from Brevard, so 5 hrs round trip...not this trip.

Black Mountain's 1 hr, so I'll get there, & same for Waynesville from Brevard...~1 hr each way...easily doable trips. I'll write up a trip report comparing Brevard to Black Mountain after my visit there.

Brevard's a nice place to visit for a month, but its too small for my preferences, to stay much longer. The 3 best restaurants are small, & packed from 5-7:30. I'm glad they're doing well, & the staff's are working really hard to keep up...kudos to those hard working young Americans, & thank you all.

Nice little farmers market this morning that had some real farmers....but of course, those selling arts 'n crafts, & other non-food stuff too.
IMO, Brevard is the quintessential small mountain town. It is growing, especially out Asheville Hwy. Convenient for hiking at both Dupont and Pisgah and not too far from Highlands and Cashiers. Check out the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area. It is larger and has more to offer. The south/southwest side of Hendersonville has a completely different look than the east side (east of the interstate). The south/southwest side is more mountainous while the east side has the wineries, apple orchards, and rolling hills. Both are beautiful.. Will be interesting to hear your Brevard/Black Mountain comparison. I like both, but prefer Brevard; it is just a tad larger, but seems bigger. With that said, Black Mountain is located in a more mountainous area and has some beautiful views nearby. You're going to see lots of retirees and FL tags in this area. Glad you're going to be here for awhile to experience this slice of paradise. Let us know if you have any questions or can help in any way.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:45 PM

The OP has not returned since Jan 2023. I wonder where they landed?

I've heard Highlands/Cashiers is crazy expensive (from my multi-millionaire SIL), so I'm not going there...I'm the Millionaire nextdoor.

I've found Brevard's groceries & restaurants to be affordable (except 1 boutique grocery store that was insane).

I had to travel to H'ville to the Bank of America, because Brevard doesn't have one. I liked the downtown area, so will return.

Boone's too far from Brevard, so I won't see Boone on this trip. I'll do Black Rock and Waynesville for sure.

The tomatoes I bought at the Brevard farmers market this morning are the best I've had since I was in Italy 20 yrs ago!

I saw Looking Glass Falls from the roadside, and it was a memorable sight.

I've seen just 1 White Squirrel so far, so hope to see more.

Brevard & H'ville both need to improve signage to direct visitors to parking lots. Both also need more visible public restrooms. During regular biz hrs, find the visitors center, but afterwards, good luck.

The weather here is why I came here, and it has delivered.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:31 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:

I've heard Highlands/Cashiers is crazy expensive (from my multi-millionaire SIL), so I'm not going there...I'm the Millionaire nextdoor.

I've found Brevard's groceries & restaurants to be affordable (except 1 boutique grocery store that was insane).

I had to travel to H'ville to the Bank of America, because Brevard doesn't have one. I liked the downtown area, so will return.

Boone's too far from Brevard, so I won't see Boone on this trip. I'll do Black Rock and Waynesville for sure.

The tomatoes I bought at the Brevard farmers market this morning are the best I've had since I was in Italy 20 yrs ago!

Brevard & H'ville both need to improve signage to direct visitors to parking lots. Both also need more visible public restrooms. During regular biz hrs, find the visitors center, but afterwards, good luck.

I know there are some restaurants in or near some of the main parking garages in downtown Hendersonville. I've been there several times on Sundays.

Most of the cities around here will have really good farmers' markets in season.

Brevard is closer to more natural areas and more rain. Hendersonville is more convenient to shopping and the interstate.

Highalnds and Cashiers are extremely expensive, isolated, and kind of dead in the winter.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:

If inclined toward good baked goods and coffee, I highly recommend the Bracken Mountain Bakery in Downtown Brevard on South Broad Street right off East Main Street. I dream of their breads/muffins and excellent coffee. https://brackenmountainbakery.weebly.com/

Another great stop is the Mud Dabbers Pottery Collective on US276 south of town. They are dozens of potters working there and selling their varying styles of functional and art pottery at decent prices. Mud Dabbers Pottery of Brevard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina