Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM

92 posts, read 369,790 times

Advertisements

Hey gang -

I know this is a long shot but can anyone give me advice on purchasing an active live Christmas tree farm? I've done tons of research already on the industry and the day-to-day farming aspects and am one step short of contacting a real estate agent (we're looking for 20-50 acres with a Northern aspect above 3000 feet). I realize that the #1 areas in NC for Christmas tree farming are the AAA counties: Allegheny, Ashe and Avery. But what about the Western Counties? Mitchell, Yancey and Madison counties would seem to be natural extension areas for Fraser firs. Maybe I should be considering counties in eastern Tennessee too?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM

63 posts, read 357,364 times
I spent some time in Mitchell and Avery counties earlier this month and saw a number of tree farms up there. Also around Roan Mtn. TN might be worth a look. Beautiful country! Good luck with your search!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,019,732 times
Default Christmas Tree Farming

Ashe County is number #1 in the state, but according to the NC Christmas Tree Association, Alleghany, Avery, Buncombe, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Swain, Transylvania, Watauga and Yancey are also active areas.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,228,559 times
Contact a local Realtor and check out Avery County Journal and Mountain Times....good luck!

Old 05-31-2008, 04:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,444,703 times
Spruce Pine, NC in Mitchell County: Home of the Perfect Christmas Tree. Home of the Perfect Christmas Tree - Spruce Pine, North Carolina

ROL Search Results
Call that agent!!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 AM

451 posts, read 1,566,790 times
Default Christmas Tree Farms

Try getting in touch with the North Carolina Christmas Tree Growers Association. Sometimes the word of mouth is the best place for information like that. My mountain man's family was one of the first folks that went up to Grandfather Mountain (couldn't do that now) to get tiny frasier seedlings back in 1947. It was a small farm and the trees were grown naturally with just fertilizer and trimmed when they were little. I am trying to get him to write down what it was like to grow up here in Watauga County in the 50's & 60's. I have friends that have tree farms and I will check with them to see if they have heard of anybody wanting to sell. I hope you have a lot of money if you want to buy a farm that is already planted. Interesting note is there is rummer that Appalachian State is working on a tree that will grow down the mountain. Actually, I saw some farms advertising in Catawba Co. last year but it wasn't frasiers. Good Luck

Old 06-04-2008, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 15,225 times
Bondee,
Check your message box.

Last edited by Pdarnell; 06-04-2008 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 AM

451 posts, read 1,566,790 times
Default Christmas Tree Farms

Boodee, There is a meeting for the North Carolina Christmas Tree Association and you do not need to be a member. It is June 17 from 1:00-5:00pm at the Boone United Methodist Church on New Market Boulevard in Boone. My mountain man doesn't have a farm anymore but he still gets mail. If I were thinking about buying a Tree farm I would go to this meeting. They would appreciate RSVP and you can e-mail Linda at the NCCTA office at linda@ncchristmastrees.com Good Luck

Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 PM

161 posts, read 515,867 times
WOW! That has ALWAYS been a dream of mine too! I would LOVE to have a Christmas Tree Farm!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina