Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 01:00 PM

20 posts, read 28,426 times

Advertisements

Thanks, more helpful info! (And Texas commiseration) I've seen some affordable places listed in Swannoa and wondered about that area. We'll have to go check out the feel of Black Mountain and Swannoa, and any affordable areas in Asheville itself to see how a smaller lot there would feel re: privacy and quiet. Overall population density does make a real difference, and Austin is a lot denser than Asheville.

After so many summers in Alaska and spending time at a friend's five acres in the Hill County near Austin, it's hard to give up the dream of having some acreage/space. But we've lived just fine on a 1/8 acre in Austin for years and it's the easiest thing to compromise on for the right house in the right location. And even a half acre would be four times as big as what we have now!

Really interesting to hear you built your own house. I guess the extreme supply chain issues re: building materials have leveled out? I've never considered building a custom home. Not sure if it's feasible, financially. Tying up/spending so much money for such a lengthy period while still paying on the current house (and not having the capital from selling that yet).

Not to mention decision paralysis -- I'm not sure planning a custom build is the best thing for everyone... Intriguing idea though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 01:06 PM

20 posts, read 28,426 times
I actually have been looking at Durham, too. As I said initially, I avoided Asheville for years because it was becoming "the next Austin." But now, ten years later, it is fine. Huge growth/change for the people who have lived there all this time, but still a big step down from the crowded urbanism of Austin.

Durham doesn't have the mountains, of course. And I'm not a big beach person so proximity to the ocean doesn't mean a lot to me. Still looks like a pretty place though. And, again -- we are not near mountains now, in Austin. (Alaska is another story of course... ah, would that I was willing to deal with the massively snowy long dark winters here. It is really a special place. But not a place that a lot of people choose to move TO in their mid-60's... for good reason)

Old 08-22-2023, 04:36 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
All this talk about moving and the best places. Comparing Austin to Durham for a place to live, and the mountains being close by, got me to thinking. I love our mountain house, the elevation is high enough so we can enjoy the summers without air conditioning. The winters are a bit rough, but we have the lowland house for winters.
If I were to sell both of these houses and pick one spot to move, it might very well be the Okanagan Valley in British Colombia, Canada. The Kelowna Area is the best of both worlds, close in to the lake for summer fun and water sports yet close to the mts.and resorts for some great winter sports.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:23 AM

11 posts, read 15,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modemserf View Post
Thanks, more helpful info! (And Texas commiseration) I've seen some affordable places listed in Swannoa and wondered about that area. We'll have to go check out the feel of Black Mountain and Swannoa, and any affordable areas in Asheville itself to see how a smaller lot there would feel re: privacy and quiet. Overall population density does make a real difference, and Austin is a lot denser than Asheville.

After so many summers in Alaska and spending time at a friend's five acres in the Hill County near Austin, it's hard to give up the dream of having some acreage/space. But we've lived just fine on a 1/8 acre in Austin for years and it's the easiest thing to compromise on for the right house in the right location. And even a half acre would be four times as big as what we have now!

Really interesting to hear you built your own house. I guess the extreme supply chain issues re: building materials have leveled out? I've never considered building a custom home. Not sure if it's feasible, financially. Tying up/spending so much money for such a lengthy period while still paying on the current house (and not having the capital from selling that yet).

Not to mention decision paralysis -- I'm not sure planning a custom build is the best thing for everyone... Intriguing idea though.
I sold my old home in Austin for the capital and am renting here during the build. We're still in the design phase, but my builder doesn't seem to think there will be an issue with the supply chain. The total process, from research to move in date will be about 2 years. I'm building my forever dream home, so the wait and cost is worth it to me.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
I actually have been looking at Durham, too. As I said initially, I avoided Asheville for years because it was becoming "the next Austin." But now, ten years later, it is fine. Huge growth/change for the people who have lived there all this time, but still a big step down from the crowded urbanism of Austin.

Durham doesn't have the mountains, of course. And I'm not a big beach person so proximity to the ocean doesn't mean a lot to me. Still looks like a pretty place though. And, again -- we are not near mountains now, in Austin. (Alaska is another story of course... ah, would that I was willing to deal with the massively snowy long dark winters here. It is really a special place. But not a place that a lot of people choose to move TO in their mid-60's... for good reason)
Asheville was really never becoming the next Austin because they don't have the jobs. The jobs are all in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, aka, The Triangle. Research Triangle Park (RTP) is a huge draw with tech/biotech/health jobs.

In Asheville if you're not working remote you're most likely working in the tourist/service industry. Asheville is full of second homes, retirees, and people who struggle to find housing on the low wages provided by the service industry (aka artists), and now remote workers.

There is massive growth in the Triangle, just like Austin. Not counting Charlotte, Austin is probably the Triangle's closest peer. Raleigh is also the state capital. There's a big tech scene, 3 major universities, bad traffic, inflated housing, people coming in droves. So, pretty similar to Austin, except the music scene is better in Austin. The Triangle music scene is good, just not Austin good. It's about 2.5-3.5 hours to the mountains from the Triangle and about 2-3 hours to the beach. Super easy for a weekend trip and you can do day trips if you don't mind driving.

If the mountains are calling, I think you could find something for your price point around Buncombe Co (Asheville) area. As long as you don't need a local job you should be okay. It's more progressive closer to the city.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:56 PM

31 posts, read 40,530 times
I'm actually a native Carolinian (Winston-Salem) who has lived in Houston for the last 45 years. Yesterday's new record high temp of 109 degrees pretty much did it for me. I'll be driving up in October to look around. This thread has been very helpful.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,212 times
I live in Swannanoa and really like it. It's true, there's not a lot going on here (so no tourists!), but we have the basics (Ingles, gas stations, decent schools, etc.) and it's a quick 10 minute drive to either East Asheville OR Black Mountain!
It's really near the Blue Ridge Parkway and lots of hiking trails are in the area if you're into the outdoors, and the prices are more affordable than in either AVL or BM.

My main gripe is that working in Asheville, there are no pretty non-congested backroads to take home like there was when I lived in Leicester. If you are coming from Asheville or any point west, you will be FORCED to take the highway(s) or the interstate to get back to Swannanoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Look a Swannanoa. It's between Black Mountain and Asheville and is home to the super progressive Warren Wilson College. The town is not much to look at, but it's a beautiful area if you are looking for some acreage. Takes about 8-10 min to get to Black Mountain and about 15 minutes to get to Asheville.

The mountains of NC are much less racially diverse than Austin, but probably have a few more people of color than Alaska (aside from the native Alaskans). There is much more racial diversity outside of the mountains. Some place like Durham could be good, but that's really the next Austin.

BTW, it's UNC-Asheville or UNC-A. Not UNC. UNC is in Chapel Hill. That would be like calling UT El Paso just UT.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:21 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:

If considering a bigger city closer to the mountains you might also look at Winston Salem. It's an hour and 15 minutes closer to Asheville (2 hour drive) and has been evolving into a cool mid-sized city with significantly lower housing costs than Durham.

Old 08-28-2023, 03:42 PM

2,597 posts, read 2,290,447 times
The housing market in Asheville is insanely expensive. There isn’t much inventory available. You are going to have a hard time finding something in your price range, close to UNCA. You might consider a townhouse, but even those are expensive.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:08 AM

212 posts, read 426,857 times
To the OP:

I have a pre-retirement home in Weaverville, which I still think you should consider, given the original criteria you mentioned. You could still get some acreage, but it would be of the vertical type, since Reems Creek bottom is fairly populated by farm and some business ventures. Very live-and-let-live type of community, nothing in-your-face in terms of politics. Charming downtown with mom & pop businesses AND a strip of bigger box & franchise businesses. You could choose which shopping venture in which to partake.

Our very local grocery stores are Publix, big newish Ingles and Aldi's. There's a Fresh Market 16 minutes away in N. Asheville (which also has a Trader Joe's, Whole Paycheck & Harris Teeter). N. Asheville Farmers' Market is amazing.

The Main Street downtown is flat, with very walkable neighborhoods on both sides, highly regarded eateries, 3 breweries. There's a Nature Walk right downtown and the community center is new and well-loved. We have THREE in and out roads into Asheville (I-26, Merrimon Ave., and The Blue Ridge Parkway).

15 minutes to UNCA/Olli. 16-20 minutes to anywhere downtown Asheville. 28-40 minutes to the airport. As for racial diversity, the closer you are to the city, the more diversity. There isn't much in Weaverville. As for LGBTQ+, Weaverville is very good on that account.

I really like Black Mountain, too. But we chose Weaverville, and very happy to report that it hasn't disappointed us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina