Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 07:21 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times

Advertisements

These are. Lot of options.... But I'm looking for similar things. I've stayed at places in bear lake reserve and leatherwood mountains and was so incredibly at peace that I'm in love with Western NC.

Here are some places I've looked into that "might" fit your interests and lists of wants and needs

Pickens SC
Travelers rest SC

Bryson City nc
Ferguson NC
Blowing rock NC
West Jefferson NC
Mount airy NC

Wytheville VA
Galax, VA

Erwin TN

I like some of those more than other but I'm not totally sure which would be the best fit for you. I LOVED black mountain NC but would never move there because I could immediately tell how liberal it was. They had local mas mandate ordnances in all their business still in like fall 2021 I think. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 07:29 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times
[quote=twinkletwinkle22;66259765]You need to visit each area, have meals in diners/restaurants, walk around the small town nearest, to get a feel for whether it fits you. We did that 400 mile drive 2 houses ago and boy that told us so much, current city we chose because it's near family.
Some towns that looked good on internet did not feel good in person due to: traffic, reading the local paper, watching local news.[quote]

I couldn't agree more. As far as online research goes, I've honestly done as much as there is to do except get the opinions and advice of locals. City Data Forum is the best place for that and why I started posting here again. Until I get boots on the ground to start exploring for myself, this is the best I can do. Fortunately, I'm having a BLAST doing all the research! And I've been researching for the last five years... no kidding. It's taken me that long to go through all the states that interested me. I knew my research would take a really long time so I started early enough to complete it before I retire. I'm in spitting distance now, so....

Quote:
IMO you are being short-sighted not to add healthcare proximity to your search, these are not normal times even in rural areas. Aging has a way of sneaking up, why not plan ahead to stay where you move to, after you've spent years becoming a "local." Just remember that the smaller the town the less you have a chance to integrate in the community unless (as mentioned) you go to church. Then OMG yes! a single healthy 50 year old man is going to be very welcome.
I completely understand that and you're right (to a degree) about being short-sighted on the topic of health care. It's not that I'm disregarding it, or that I think I'm invincible. I do have reasons why it's not one of my big concerns but they would derail the conversation by a country mile. If it helps, health care is one of two main reasons why I'm not going completely reclusive, just rural! (I'm that desperate for peace and quiet!). The other reason is that, after living far too many years in a liberal city that leans heavily towards being cultish and intolerant, I need to be part of a like-minded community again... even if it takes time to prove myself and fit in. I have all the patience in the world for that.

Quote:
My suggestion is to look for towns with an animal rescue you can volunteer at since you like animals.
You picked that up about me! Well done! While it's not a consideration for where I live, it is something I'm keeping in mind.

Quote:
We moved to Charlotte and love how no one talks politics anywhere we go. NOT the small town you are looking for but just giving you an idea that not all cities are the same as yours. We LOVE visiting the Blue Ridge which is 2 to 3 hours away, depending on which town we're visiting. So many lovely places in western NC but my husband hates snow and cold so we'll never move there.

Good luck
Thank you and I'm so glad to hear this. From what I'm learning about North Carolina as a whole, who knows? I may get over my extreme dislike for cities eventually. If I could only relay realistically what it's been like to live here in Minneapolis. It's exhausted and drained me.

Cold and snow are just free air-conditioning! Without them, quiet nights in front of a wood burning fireplace wouldn't happen. Without them, there aren't any satisfying comfort foods or the feeling of being buried under a good sweater! I get my best sleep in the winter on cool nights under a down comforter. Summer is my bah-humbug season when I turn into a hermit.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:37 PM

That's why I love Google Earth. I found about five houses I loved (WNC and East TN) but ruled them out when Google Earth showed that one of the neighbors had a junk yard, or that there was a Pet Crematorian across the street, or that there was an industrial site nearby, a cell phone tower on the property, etc., Until I get there in person to see places, Google Earth is essential.

As for the subdivisions, I have some questions and was about to write a separate post about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
One thing to keep in mind in that some counties have no, or very limited, zoning and development rules. The lovely woods next door could become a junk yard. If you're buying less than 8 acres or so, you might be better off in a subdivision, which may offer more protection. I have a house in Ashe County, on 3 acres, in a 38 lot subdivision, half of which appears to be unbuildable. Totally quiet, wooded, long range mountain views. New River is 3 minutes down the hill. Very limited hoa, $150/yr.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:39 PM

I will definitely look into Bakersville specifically, thanks. Everywhere in WNC is a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Again I feel that's where I feel the Bakersville area north of Spruce Pine is ideal given its proximity to things, yet is still rural and off the beaten path of tourists largely.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:59 PM

I've checked properties just over the borders into South Carolina and Georgia. I did that more as a reminder to stay open-minded and because I don't know everything. I just don't want to go much farther south because I need some form of winter! Even if it's just the cooler temperatures and an average of 4" of snow a year! A wood burning fireplace is a non-negotiable. I'm with you though. Ever since I started researching WNC, I can't tear myself away from it.

I've looked into all the places you mentioned in NC, as well as Erwin, TN. (That's one of the rarer small towns in East TN that doesn't seem to be fading.). I've tried looking over the border into Virginia but nothing about it interests me. I can't explain it but I've learned to trust my gut.

I looked at Ferguson and the only property that came up under my filter rules was a farm. And I came to the same conclusion that you did about Black Mountain. But, that's okay. There are plenty of other places where I'd fit right in. I don't want to move somewhere to change or challenge them. That's one of the reasons why Tennessee topped my list to begin with - mask/jab mandates are now illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
These are. Lot of options.... But I'm looking for similar things. I've stayed at places in bear lake reserve and leatherwood mountains and was so incredibly at peace that I'm in love with Western NC.

Here are some places I've looked into that "might" fit your interests and lists of wants and needs

Pickens SC
Travelers rest SC

Bryson City nc
Ferguson NC
Blowing rock NC
West Jefferson NC
Mount airy NC

Wytheville VA
Galax, VA

Erwin TN

I like some of those more than other but I'm not totally sure which would be the best fit for you. I LOVED black mountain NC but would never move there because I could immediately tell how liberal it was. They had local mas mandate ordnances in all their business still in like fall 2021 I think. No thanks.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:14 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Have you looked at the Maggie Valley area? Seems there are houses at elevation with streams. There's a ski resort still but my impression is the tourist focus is a thing of the past.

Some of the websites you can do a search for stream or creek.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:21 PM

QUESTION:

In my North Carolina property hunting on Zillow and other sites, I noticed that NC rarely lists the square footage of the houses. Why is that? That's important to me because I'm just one person. I don't need 3,000 sq ft! All the properties in Tennessee list square footage but I'm wondering why NC doesn't.

Also, one of my filter rules is that I DO NOT want an HOA. I don't want anyone measuring to see if my grass is too tall, or being fined because my garage door was open too long. I don't want anyone telling me what color I can't paint my house or that I can't park an RV in my driveway. And I certainly don't need folks telling me I can't fly an American flag. But, on Zillow, even though I set the filter for NO HOA, they keep listing properties that are in subdivisions that have amenities like clubhouses, swimming pools, golfing, etc., I don't want any of that but it's frustrating because they AVOID even saying there's an HOA. Surely these "subdivisions" have HOA fees to maintain their amenities, don't they? For example, here's one of the listings:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...45347191_zpid/

Stunning property. I don't know what the square footage is, but I the property itself is stunning and I love the creek! No mention of an HOA whatsoever. But, look at the last picture. It's clearly part of someplace called Chairmaker Subdivision. That covered bridge isn't part of the property and belongs to the subdivision. So, doesn't that mean there would be an HOA? If so, why don't they say so and list the HOA fee?

Another property with all kinds of amenities but no mention of an HOA in the description: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...51005486_zpid/
I love this little house. It's perfect. I'd even buy it sight unseen! But I don't want to get involved with, or be restricted in any way by, an HOA or be in a "gated community."

Am I just not understanding how properties are listed in North Carolina? Why aren't HOAs or a houses square footage listed on sites like Zillow or Trulia, etc.,?

Old 01-03-2024, 08:33 PM

The only thing I don't like about Maggie Valley is it's proximity to Asheville. It's just that there weren't any houses there that suited me. (This whole "open floor plan" trend has gotten out of control! LOL.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...17622584_zpid/
I found this house in Maggie Valley... interesting!

I love English Cottage style houses made out of stone the best. They're RARE to find and I don't want to take all the time to find an architect to design it and then find a builder, and then wait for it the land to be prepped for utilities and built. (If I was younger, I would!) The closest property I found in WNC to this is in Little Switzerland, even though it's in a touristy area. (Link below.) Love the house but it's far too big for one person, even though I loved the little backyard and the privacy. It's one of the few houses in NC that listed the square footage - a whopping 4,265! AND it's the house that's too close to a beloved motorcycle route.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57648950_zpid/

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Have you looked at the Maggie Valley area? Seems there are houses at elevation with streams. There's a ski resort still but my impression is the tourist focus is a thing of the past.

Some of the websites you can do a search for stream or creek.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:14 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
I think you are putting way too much emphasis on proximity if you think Maggie Valley or many of the other towns are too "close" to Asheville. Look at it this way MV is about as geographically close to Newport TN for that matter, ha ha. Definitely closer to Cosby. I don't think Canton and possibly Candler have the Asheville mindset and they are practically suburbs.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:32 PM

We all have our requirements and priorities. 35 miles is waaaaay too close to any city for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think you are putting way too much emphasis on proximity if you think Maggie Valley or many of the other towns are too "close" to Asheville. Look at it this way MV is about as geographically close to Newport TN for that matter, ha ha. Definitely closer to Cosby. I don't think Canton and possibly Candler have the Asheville mindset and they are practically suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina