Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 PM

18 posts, read 77,388 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am sick of living in Miami. A friend offered for me to come with him to NYC but if that doesn't come through I think I would also like to consider a smaller town to escape the city for a while. I have visited mountain towns in Tennessee before and liked the atmosphere but my aunt who went to school in Greensboro and is thus familiar with North Carolina said that I should check out Boone. Well I figured I'd do some research here. I am 22 years old, thus would like a scene for younger people I guess. I know that it is a small town but also a college town. I am rather easy to please I guess, I like live music, pubs, and the outdoors. I do not like the club culture in Miami filled with boring techno, or the vain, image is everything people here. I am looking for more friendly people. Well any other information you can tell me would be awesome. Also someone told me to look into a city called Asheville as well, so maybe you all could help with that too. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 PM

451 posts, read 1,566,141 times
Default Boone

Boone is a great little college town. There is Appalachian University and the hospitals. Everything centers around the university when it is in session. Rent is high because of all the students. My advice is to come for a visit here and also to visit Asheville as well. Very different places and sizes. Unless you already have a job it is very difficult to find a great paying job here and the folks in Asheville will tell you the same about Asheville. My brother lives in Asheville, and he said he was lucky that he worked at the post office for years until he retired. It depends on what you are looking for. Let us know what your profession is and I'm sure we could advise you better. Both areas are beautiful. Here, in Blowing Rock, just down the road from Boone is about 1000 feet higher than Asheville, so the weather is colder in the winter. Asheville is a much larger place than Boone. If you like the outdoors, there are hiking trails everywhere. There are a lot of music festivals around both areas. You shouldn't just move anywhere without checking it out first. My advice is come have a visit.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 PM

18 posts, read 77,388 times
Yes I agree I would definitely visit. I am not in need of a great paying job. I live simply and being young without kids I feel I can do so and still be comfortable. However I would like to work in the hotel industry if that is at all possible.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM

451 posts, read 1,566,141 times
Default Boone

Check with the High Country Host in Boone. They could give information about all the hotels in the area including Avery County. Appalachian University has a place called The Broyhill Inn & Appalachian Conference Center. There is Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock and there a hoity-toity spa called The Westglow Spa in Blowing Rock that won an award recently. Asheville has tons more hotels. They have the Biltmore house and it now has it's on hotel and then there is The Grove Park Inn. I have a son that is a senior at App and my daughter went there several years ago. My kids are about your age. I hope you find the perfect place. If I can be of anymore help, just let me know. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 AM

606 posts, read 1,979,995 times
Default Also From Miami . . .

Well sort of! I was born in JAX but grew up in MIA. I left South FL when I was 34. My husband was a captain on one of the party boats at Baker's Haulover. After his death I took a chance and got the heck out of Dodge! I've never looked back. As a kid I was really into horses and spent lots of time out in Sweetwater (when the only bar had a hitching post! No, really! I'm dead serious. For HORSES. Oh, and all the bridges out there on Tamiami Trail were wooden too, all the way out to 122nd St!)

As an adult, I continued to work with horses professionally until I retired a few years ago. Now, I'm not as old as you might think, being a very young 48! But I give you the bio for a reason. I had a good bit of "country" in my blood already, but I found myself in a total state of culture shock, first in my first new country home near Lake City, FL, but much more in the Appalachians. It is WAY different here! If you stay and live in town, it's not so marked. Get away from town and it becomes much more apparent.

After eight years, I'm still an "outsider," and will be probably as long as I live here. I'm not treated badly, just differently. People in town, who work for companies based outside Boone, and people who have come in from "off the mountain," generally have a normal work ethic. But people who work for themselves work by "mountain time." The closest thing I can think of is Key West. The locals run by a slower clock! The further you get from Boone, the more you will find this true. Especially over in Tennessee . . . but that's another story. The clock stopped in Mountain City sometime around 1969! LOL

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Come, and Welcome!" Just be prepared for some culture shock. The Mexicanos do not speak Cubano! There are no Interstates (or real malls, but we do have a great outlet mall!) and people drive a LOT slower. If they don't, they're eventually scraped up off the road somewhere. You will be treated civilly by the natives, but never fully accepted by most. There are still lots of homes that are out of range of cable TV or DSL. Most homes in the county are on well water and septic. And many, if not most, of the local folk raise their own vegetables, and can much of it themselves for winter use. There is little crime and away from town, many do not lock doors and I'm one of them. As a matter of fact, if I didn't leave my keys in the car, I'd lose them! Do lock up in town though, as most of what crime we have is petty theft.

Learning to drive here takes about a year . . . If you can't stay in your lane, you're going too fast! Locals can drive about 20 mph faster on the curves than visitors. In Miami, the streets are laid out in the Federal Survey System style. In NC, they are laid out according to "metes and bounds." (That means that property is measured "From a stake in the middle of the creek to the old oak tree on the hill, to the maple tree at the corner, and" . . . well you get the idea.) No neat 45 degree angles here! Sometime the mailboxes are numbered backwards, from the dead end instead of the last intersection! Learning your way around will be your biggest challenge. Here's a tip . . . Bamboo Road is a circle! (It's the main short-cut around the east end of Boone.) Deerfield Rd. runs right throught the middle of the circle and that combination will confuse you for at least a year! And then there's Wilson's Ridge . . . but I digress! One more thing . . . The traffic in the center of town will make you feel right at home!!

There are no bugs here! At least not as you know them. There are a few german cockroaches (only what you and others bring with you), and no palmetto bugs. The 'skeeters are different too, small and gray instead of huge and black! You hardly ever see them, but you will feel the itchy welt almost immediately . . . after they've sucked and left! We have all the same critters that Miami has, but they are more often seen here. Coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, skunks, possums, etc are common, with the addition of flying squrrels and wild turkey. No armadillo though. Critters are more likely to make themselves right at home here too. My house is host to a noisy colony of bats! 48 at last count, with babies now. The ceiling above my bedroom sounds like an aircraft carrier at night, with all the arrivals and departures! Not that I mind . . . they eat a LOT of harmful bugs, like mosquitos!

The weather is absolutely delightful! It took me a couple of years to adjust, but I had 4 years in North FL to help. In Miami, I was in a sweater at 70 and shivering at 62. Here, 70 is HOT and I'm in a tank top. I don't put on a sweater until about 58, and a coat at about 50 (depending on how hard the wind is blowing). Summer temps top out in the mid-70's except for a couple of weeks in August. Many people don't even have AC. That's changing though. It's been getting warmer earlier, and last year we actually had a few 90 degree days. The hot spell lasted nearly a month too. The one downside is that I can no longer tolerate high heat and humidity at ALL. I used to be able to handle a heat index of 115, now 90 is pushing it!

I quickly learned to drive in snow (by necessity) and learned NOT to drive on ice! I'll never forget my first accidental 180 on a curve. I swapped ends without incident and carefully drove right back down the way I came, LOL. It happened so fast, It took a moment for me to realize that I was driving the other way. Back in 2003, I totaled by Ford Ranger on unforecast black ice out on US-421 on my way in to Boone from Mountain City. We (son Robert and I) walked away, thank God. I was without a car for 7 months!

Speaking of wind, it starts to blow in October, and doesn't stop until May! The higher you are, the harder it blows. Gale force is normal, tropical storm force is common, and hurricane force is not unusual. When the temp is 20 and the wind is howling at 35 from the northwest, it HURTS! (Of course I was working outdoors at the time!) Ok, I'm exaggerating a little, the wind does slow down or stop from time to time. Dress for it, and you'll be ok. Keep heavy gloves in the car for pumping gas, and whatever you do, don't go through a car wash if the temp is below 30, LOL!!!

Winter is beautiful here, and if you don't tuck tail and run back to FL, you'll adjust to it in a couple of years. My sis who is a sun worshiping beach goddess nearly took off after her first winter, and now, after 5 years, is doing just fine. Still can't drive up here though! She scares me!

Be prepared for trees without leaves for 6 months, from mid-November to May. The seasons are awesome, something I missed all my life until I left South FL. Spring is my favorite! I never knew there were so many shades of green! Then there's Fall . . . Both are worth waiting for!

I hope the essay was worth reading. The other folks on the forum will add their two cents and maybe 25 cents like me! Some will correct me, and some will agree. In any case, be prepared to fall in love. Few people who come to Boone can escape it's charms.

One piece of advice, perhaps unlooked for: Don't move up here after September or before March. If the culture shock doesn't get you, the weather will! Plan your move in Spring or Summer so you'll get to know roads and people, and which tow company to use! Oh, and one more thing, Spring isn't official until after Easter! And even then we can get snow and ice!

IMHO, Asheville doesn't hold a candle to Boone. It's too big, too dirty, and has MUCH more crime. Boone is definitely the place to be!

Blessings!
Hymnsinger

Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 AM

32 posts, read 137,526 times
Smile Missing Boone

Canthardlywait - please give Boone and visit (or two, or three) - it's a wonderful university town - we lived there almost 20 years until we moved 4 years ago and miss it every day.

Hymnsinger - LOVED your essay. Talking about the wind, I remember my daughter when she was 3. We were in the middle of a typical January snowstorm and she walked out of the protection of the house to get into the car. The wind pushed her off her feet and she started to roll up the hill like a little tumbleweed. I just managed to grab her as she went by!

The people are wonderful (casual and kind), the weather can be scary if you're not used to it (I have seen it snow in every month except July and August), and the university makes all the difference. The entire time we lived there (and we lived within a block of campus) the only crime we ever experienced was at Halloween; every year somebody came along and smashed the pumpkins that people left out. Of course, we had fraternities living all around - I don't think that was a coincidence.

We still go back every once in a while to visit friends, and expect we always will. I know it's not perfect, but as my teenager says, Boone's awesome!

Last edited by Nancy Minton; 07-05-2008 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Misspelled a word

Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 AM

20 posts, read 137,292 times
These are all great posts, Nancy and hymnsinger, that is a lot of info. I also moved from FL, lived all over the world actually, and the south is culture shock to the max! So it sounds like Boone is a great place to raise a family as well. Of course it is true though that a good family starts at home. I am in Gastonia (Bessemer city) now. Any opinions on Gaston County? It seems very nice so far-but the mountains call to me!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,536,430 times
Hymnsinger:

Your essay is absolutely spot-on. Great!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:44 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,618,001 times
Hymnsinger, What a great way to describe an area that is of interest to someone who has never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina