Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM

46 posts, read 246,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
considering Ashville for our move. Had ealitives that lived in Hendersonville and have visited. We currently live in DC commute area and looking for anyplace to get out!

Jcat,
have you moved alot? Because getting your drivers license in most states require that you have a bill with YOUR name on it. Here in VA you have to have proff of legal existence in the US. yes, social security card, plus photo id and a bill with proff of residence. PA is easier. With all the problems in the US getting a driver license SHOULD be difficult since most places use that as a primary source of ID. Unlike overseas where your passport is your primary source of ID.

TAXES... they get you one way or the other. Here we have vehicle tax every year as well. It based on the value of your car. (a luxury tax of sorts) our cars are 10 years old and tax runs about 110 per year. so yes if you have $800 tax bill on your car you must drive a nice one! CA has big car taxes as well. PA has many small townships so we were taxed out the wazoo... 3 income taxes (fed, state and local) 2 property taxes (county and local)

Drugs...sorry folks they are everywhere in every school and every walk of life. Yes the rich private school kids do drugs as well. Big schools and small country schools. 1980's in rual VA the kids where I went to school were growing pot on DAddy farm...manue makes good fertilizer. late 1980's moved to Houston Tx. In my highschool where the kids drove BMW etc... cocaine was very easily found. PA 2000...raising 3 girls in an affluent area south of Pittsburg...small township community (the bubble NO crime) kids are getting herion and the parents are turing a blind eye...not here etc... Underage drinking is a big problem with parents having "lock in " parties where the kids all spend the night.

So every place has it's problems you just have to go in with open eyes and list your pro's and con's and see what best suits you. Raise your children and teach them well..you are the defense against any outside negitive influences. There is NO UTOPIA.

so other area we are looking at....
Tampa area
Colorado springs, CO
Dallas, Tx
Knoxville TN

and... Prauge CH. any advise???
Spend more time in the area. We love it and can't wait to more to the area, but will be in Brevard, NC which is closer to Hendersonville.

Other places you're looking are all different climates. What kind do you want? That is also a factor why we like that area of NC.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 PM

294 posts, read 743,402 times
Hey all, I'm new to the board and have been to Asheville several times and thought about relocating, and just wanted to thank everyone for their very interesting input so far!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:59 AM

238 posts, read 227,774 times
Hmm IS it possible to come to the downtown for the culture and fun but yet live far clear of the housing projects and subsequent crime? Do they have some sort of plan in the works to tear down the housing projects and "disperse" the criminals into "nicer" neighborhoods and hence make the problem worse?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
Hmm IS it possible to come to the downtown for the culture and fun but yet live far clear of the housing projects and subsequent crime? Do they have some sort of plan in the works to tear down the housing projects and "disperse" the criminals into "nicer" neighborhoods and hence make the problem worse?
Sorry, but that is a severe lack of knowledge talking. The projects with hundreds to thousands of people are the breeding ground for drugs, crime, and all of the unpleasant side effects. Disperse the people into small (no more than 4 or 6 units) modules is the solution, and has been proved effective in city after city in this country.

But Asheville council just doesn't get it, and attempted to create yet another large project cesspool, but didn't do their homework and it all fell through, but at yet another waste of tax payer dollars.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 PM

24 posts, read 645,877 times
Hi

Taxes here are not low at all. Many areas are double taxed.
Water is an outrageous expense here. Pay for the incoming and the out going, plus fees, and a storm water program, and more things tacked on the bill. Median income is $37,500. Tons of renters. Many cannot afford to buy here. Houses are high. Real Estate market here is very stable. Had an increase of 11% last year.

Heating in a large home is $400, in smaller home $200. Gas is used alot here for stoves, hot water heaters etc.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM

24 posts, read 645,877 times
Default The judicial system is the problem

Example: Not long ago 3 cops ganged up on a 60 year old woman out walking her dog, and tazer her 3 times for reasons that are certainly not clear yet, though the tazer happy cop got reprimanded, eventually. Drive by a minor traffic accident, and there are 8 cop cars. There probably haven't been 8 cops in the dozen projects all shift.[/quote]

These drug dealers are arrested WHILE THEY HAVE a case pending! they get out the same day and they get right back to selling. It is a joke. Literally. Not enough jails, not enough Judges, blah blah blah. They bond out on a LOW dollar amount, and off they go. Cops get tired of arresting the same ones over and over. The dealers solicit Cops right there, at the projects. Google the name Carl Mumpower. He is fighting the war...he is amazing here in Asheville.

Even 12, 13 and 14 year olds at Valley Springs Middle school have priors and keep offending. They get to be free, while awaiting their court date.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:33 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
I saw this and had to post it.

The Asheville Citizen-Times had local photographers capture "A Day in the Life of Asheville" on April 14.

Credit goes to Bill Rhodes.

I know this is just showing one side, but the "Economic Development" was just too much. Great picture.

Last edited by cowboy_wilhelm; 04-23-2007 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I saw this and had to post it.

The Asheville Citizen-Times had local photographers capture "A Day in the Life of Asheville" on April 14.

Credit goes to Bill Rhodes.

I know this is just showing one side, but the "Economic Development" was just too much. Great picture.

Cowboy I am dying over here!! Thanks for the good laughs!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:25 PM

64 posts, read 443,222 times
Default So, tell me what you like about Asheville

I read some interesting opinions of Asheville on this forum...some positive and some negative.

So, for those of you who like Asheville or even just some of the aspects of this small city...what do you like about it?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:56 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
What I like the most is that the whole city feels "alive" - the mountains seem like living things, and there are thousands of birds singing all the time, - much lushness and greenery.

I love the downtown - it has beautiful architecture, and people are down there 24/7 going to the many restaurants and neat shops. I like seeing the diverse types of people downtown - hippies, new age, Bohemian artists and intellectuals all co-existing, and I enjoy the street musicians. I realize some people would find this a negative, but I personally love the funky atmosphere.

And last, but not least, I am kind of a "foodie" and this place has awesome options for that, both in restaurants and grocery stores!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina