Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 06:57 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,590 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm a grad student at the University of Georgia and some friends and I were planning on a hiking trip up in the NC mountains. I'm really set on the smokies or nice areas around there. It's a weekend trip so we don't want to hike any more than 5 miles or so and my friend wants to do some fishing. I'm fascinated with the microclimates up in the higher elevations so I'm also looking to head to an area where I can escape the heat and feel like I'm not in the south for a few days lol. I also heard that you need a permit to hike in the park. Is that true??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Any elevation above ~4,000 ft brings cooler/cool temps, albeit with some humidity on some days.
I hike around, but just a daily hump up Eagles Nest Mtn, and easy 2-3 hr solo trips on other mountains, not hard core. An occasional poster, WNC Hiker, does some serious hiking; he may read this and give specific tips.

Yes! to the micro climes and micro environs! We live at `5,000 and just above us, at a neighbor's house, is a wonderful & large granite faced outcrop with lichen and plants one usually sees at 8-10,000 ft, in the Rockies. Lots of strange stuff in some nooks and crannies, above 5,000 ft, all over the area...

I half day hike occasionally in SMNP, but no one has ever asked me for a 'permit'. I believe overnight camping, in some areas of SMNP, does require a permit, but not sure, as I sleep at home.

Pages of Western NC Hikes on the Net...here are a few I pulled up:
GL, mD

Hiking in Western North Carolina - Hike WNC

Western North Carolina hiking and backpacking

Top 50 Hikes Asheville | NC Mountain Hiking Trails

The Best Hikes in Western North Carolina

Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Motordavid gave you some good links to check out. Have a great time in the NC mountains and we are definitely cooler than Athens! Be careful people seem to fall off our waterfalls on a regular basis with less than great results. Tallulah Gorge down your way pretty neat place if you've never been, but lower elevation so wait until cooler.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the help guys! Let me know if you think of any more places

Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 AM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
You guys would have fun at Graveyard Fields on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Its around 5000 ft, 2 waterfalls, 3 mile hike. Then you can cross the roadway and hike down to Skinny Dip Falls. Not far from here is the intersection of Hwy 215 and the Pkwy. Go a bit north on 215 and there are all kinds of pullovers to stop and do some fishing and hiking. Lots of trails. Its stunningly beautiful.

Graveyard Fields Best Hike

Skinny Dip Falls, Blue Ridge Parkway Waterfall

Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 AM

52 posts, read 87,040 times
There is also the Shining Rock Wilderness Area further down the parkway. Sam's Knob is a good hike-about 2 miles but I think you could make the hike longer-there are lots of places to hike around there.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Graveyard Fields is great place, waterfalls beautiful but fair amount of people.Pisgah Inn nearby for good food fantastic view from the dining room.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Permit it only in the back country off the trails.....from my understanding anyway....

my Favorite is Baxter Creek Trail to the top of Mount Sterling from the Big Creek Area

another is the Boulevard Trail to the top of Mount LeConte

Both of those are over 12 Miles round trip....

Shorter ones i enjoy are Charlie's Bunion, and Andrews Bald....Both are pretty high elevation....Andrews bald Trail starts out at around 6,500ft....

Old 09-12-2013, 05:30 PM

I should also mention that we will be camping

Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 AM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
Primitive camping is allowed in Pisgah Forest, which is a huge area that includes Shining Rock, where Graveyard Fields etc is located. You just have to be 500 ft from the roadway, plus there are all kinds of fire rings/tent pads in certain places. Like Hwy 215 intersection with BRP. There are several fire rings close to the waterfalls that tumble along as West Fork Pigeon River cascades down Cold Mountain beside Hwy 215.

There is also the Pisgah Forest Campground with 128 spaces. If you want a more civilized camp. Have fun wherever you land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina