Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 14,696 times

Advertisements

Hi, perhaps this is a sore point to ask locals of Asheville, but thinking of relocating and wondering if anyone has had any problems in terms of respiratory ailments, high cancer rates, headaches, nausea-etc, from the steam eminating from the stacks of the Progressive Electric power plant in Arden.....

Any advice would be helpful-thanks!-as well as for those that had writtten of Asheville -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 03:00 PM

29 posts, read 255,786 times
I live in Arden almost right across the lake from it.. in fact I can see the steam stack from my balcony... it's just steam... I haven't heard of any health problems that are caused by it... I have only lived here 6 months, but I asked my boss who is a native, and she said her sister-in-law has lived right on lake Julian (which is where the plant is on) for like 25 years and has had no problems... I wouldn't worry about it.... the funny thing is that there are tropical fish in the lake b/c the water is so warm...people kayak in it all the time, but I don't think you can swim... who would want to? haha
But no, it's not dangerous...

Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,029,600 times
The Asheville metro area's air pollution comes from out-of-state coal-fired power plants.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:32 PM

474 posts, read 2,195,310 times
Western North Carolina is one of the three worst areas for allergies. If I can find the recent publication or website, I will post it. Lots of vegetation that is not found anywhere else. Also many varieties of mold. Anyone buying a home should have it tested and/or inspected for mold. Not my opinion, but fact. Many of us are Flonase junkies. lol !

Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 PM

653 posts, read 2,709,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Western North Carolina is one of the three worst areas for allergies. If I can find the recent publication or website, I will post it. Lots of vegetation that is not found anywhere else. Also many varieties of mold. Anyone buying a home should have it tested and/or inspected for mold. Not my opinion, but fact. Many of us are Flonase junkies. lol !
Allegra here! lol My eyes just glaze over from May through June.

That new scrubber stack they built at the Skyland plant meets the new N.C. coal (or maybe all fossil fuels) plant emissions requirements (not really sure what those are...) This should be one of the cleanest coal plants in the state at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The Asheville metro area's air pollution comes from out-of-state coal-fired power plants.
The good ole TVA?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,029,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
The good ole TVA?
You got it......................

Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,696 times
I WANTED TO thank you all for your kind replies-really-not knowing anyone and relocating to an area when one hears that 7% of its population are living at the poverty level and that there are many homeless kinda unnerves me, but where i reside its more hidden from public view.

It really does mean lots that you all posted your replies-maybe I can, like Mary Tyler Moore in Minnesota, 'make it afterall', but in Asheville......

Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 AM

474 posts, read 2,195,310 times
Sean, the employment situation in Asheville is difficult at best unless folks are in the medical field or retired. Housing prices are over the top as well as land. Developers are coming in droves, driving prices up. Asheville was not discovered last year. Many many years ago, it's just in the past 10 years it has really popped. However, it has been dropped from many of the "best places" lists now. People who flocked there recently in the past 5 years looking for nirvana and a good job, have had an awakening and are now seeking out areas well outside of Asheville.

Folks who are touting north of Asheville, Barnardsville, Madison County, Burnsville etc. need to remember that is higher in elevation and you will get plenty of snow up there, no jobs either. So unless you can live on retirement or work in a supermarket or deliver newspapers, think twice. (Real estate brokering is the major industry in this area.)

South of Asheville is the same. Discovered over and over again, and very few jobs. If any, pay scale is under $10 per hour. They need to read the local newspapers, not the marketing hype.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 AM

106 posts, read 399,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDISAYTHAT View Post
Hi, perhaps this is a sore point to ask locals of Asheville, but thinking of relocating and wondering if anyone has had any problems in terms of respiratory ailments, high cancer rates, headaches, nausea-etc, from the steam eminating from the stacks of the Progressive Electric power plant in Arden.....

Any advice would be helpful-thanks!-as well as for those that had writtten of Asheville -
Fly ash pollution from the power plant on Lake Julian
I am skeptical about living near that coal fired power plant on Lake Julian.

Once I read the news story (link below) about the pollution problems they are currently having at Lake Julian Trails, I decided it would be best to avoid that area altogether.

Coal waste blows over near Lake Julian homes | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Old 03-28-2009, 09:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,574,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post

The good ole TVA?
Oh you mean the TVA that for decades took the stance that they were a 'government agency' and they didn't have to do a damn thing about their emissions, and for years they didn't?

But the TVA is not the only contributor to our pollution, we get a lot from the entire midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina