Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 PM

5 posts, read 94,624 times

Advertisements

TreeHouse 51,

I guess my main thing is that I want to know what areas people would mainly say to "stay away from". Also, MY desire is to live in a most scenic area as I can afford (to rent). Can you tell me where to steer clear from and what areas are most pretty? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:45 PM

5 posts, read 94,624 times
Etta,

Thank you! What a huge help your website suggestions were!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV N CW View Post
Thanks for all the input. I keep seeing apt & home rentals listed in Arden, Candler, Black Mtn, Hendersonville. Are these places within a reasonable commute if you're working anywhere within the Asheville city limit?
I think those are all about 20-30 minute commutes...Arden isn't far but traffic is horrific. Hendersonville would be the farthest from downtown with Black Mountain as #2 farthest...Black Mountain is SUPER cute and if I had to pick between any of the areas you listed, I would say that.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM

22 posts, read 62,360 times
Default Artist Looking...

I'm thinking of relocating to Asheville and like may people here I'm also lost in what's the best areas to live. I'm an artist and art photographer, some what eclectic yet love charming and secluded areas. I also love nature and don't mind the downtown living as long as it is artsy, laid back and lots of coffee shops and stores to walk around. I also love industrial lofts and specialy the raw looking ones. I'm also aware that areas like that aren't that safe but again maybe their is an area that caters to artist with that feel...I live in Dallas, and I'm not happy with it. I moved here last year and I can't connect with this city... I'm looking for a more friendlier town and a that I can connect and having those smockey mountains close to me, I know that it will be the highlight of it all. Being spiritual, I know that I would find myself again in nature oriented places...I've see some pictures of this place and I feel so connected by it and I think it would be a great new journey in my life. I'm 43 and definetly I think very much out of the box, love people and would love to make new friends.... I hope that with all this information, I can get some great feedback.. Thanks. Laz

PS: I'm also thinking of doing a small store with my art and photography, any feed back on that as well...Any areas that are zoned for business and living....

Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,121 times
You can have 6 customers/day in any business in your home in Asheville, no matter the zoning. Call the city planning. dept. for more details, like what sort of signage you can have and how much space the biz. can take up in your home. They are pretty easy to get a hold of.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
You need to check out the River Arts District. Just google. Good luck with your next adventure.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 PM

36 posts, read 93,295 times
We have lived in Haw Creek for over 20 years and love it. You can find homes anywhere from around $160,000 to $600,000 or more. House styles from mid-century modern, to small cottages, to brand-spanking new. Safe and beautiful views depending on location (surrounded by BRP) Just off Tunnel Road so you can quickly get downtown or around, but you don't have to look at the congestion when you're at home. Good school district, especially the elementary school. Not currently very walk-able or bike-able, but we're working on more sidewalks. A couple of small parks for the little ones, one of which has a nice walking trail.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,871 times
Question moving to ashville,

My wife and I, newly retired, are looking for a short term rental,(3 months?). While our possessions are in storage we'd like to find a SF Home to rent w/ possible option to buy. Your forum is and will be helpful. We need help in the form of advice from those who've been down this road. Thanks so much, E & S

Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,557 times
Default Help Moving to Asheville

We are looking to move to a nice family oriented place that is not conservative, somewhat walkable or bike able and we would love friendly neighbors. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse51 View Post
Wow! There are so many great neighborhoods. Asheville is a big place. It really depends so much on YOU and what your interests are, your needs and wants, etc. Everyone is so different.

I love where I live but it's not perfect for me and no place is perfect for everyone. I live 6 miles from downtown on the SE edge, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots of big beautiful trees. Everyone has at least an acre. Gorgeous mountain views for at least 1/2 the year. But it still isn't perfect.

Too many trees for a garden or solar. Neighbors aren't friendly - they drive into and out of their garages. You have to drive anywhere you want to go. There's always give an take. If you want more specifics, email me and we can talk more about what you need.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,557 times
SO how is Arden, NC? Ultra conservative? We want great schools, safe family environment but we would love to skip snooty neighbors and judgmental closed minded folks? Help? Where is a great place to live in Asheville that is walkable, great schools and has room for a garden? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina